imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should we allow profanity on the Main Page quotes?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff

I agree wholeheartedly with YNH, and I have a few things to add:

* There's nothing unprofessional about rendering a quote exactly as it's said in its source material, including profanity.

* Censoring profanity in quotes looks silly, to say nothing of the fact that it's a bit hypocritical given that there is violent content here as well.

* Protecting minors from mature content is a noble cause, but, seriously, this is the internet. Any chatroom, comments section, multiplayer video game or forum is bound to have profanity, and I can guarantee you that you'll hear more profanity in a few online matches of Halo or Call of Duty than you'll find in all the quotes on this site put together, and I don't have to tell you how many minors play those games.

I know "it's a big problem so it's no big deal if we add to it" is no excuse, but this is just my realist take on things. Anyway, this site is obviously meant for a mature audience, and I dare say it wouldn't hold the attention of most minors for very long even if they did stumble across it (there aren't many explosions in screenshots).

* I do believe that using profanity in image captions or other text in articles themselves is very unprofessional. Use of profanity in the somewhat less formal sections of the site (on talk pages or the forum) is fine as long as it's not too excessive.