imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-18-2016, 01:36 AM

Question How to create pages and templates for media series?

I'd like it if there was a bunch of "How to" guides for making certain kinds of pages on the wiki, but there isn't, so I'm requesting them here.

There are a few pages on the wiki that belong to the same series but don't have their own series pages and series bottom-of-page templates yet, such as for the Sniper Elite video game series. How does one go about making the series page and series template for those, then?

Furthermore, once a page is moved, how does one set up redirect pages to the page's new title?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I'd like it if there was a bunch of "How to" guides for making certain kinds of pages on the wiki, but there isn't, so I'm requesting them here.

There are a few pages on the wiki that belong to the same series but don't have their own series pages and series bottom-of-page templates yet, such as for the Sniper Elite video game series. How does one go about making the series page and series template for those, then?

Furthermore, once a page is moved, how does one set up redirect pages to the page's new title?
I don't know if I want users creating templates willy-nilly. Besides, there's a fair amount of coding involved there, and it should be left to more experienced users.

As for redirects and other things, there is a help page, which appears to have been copied over from Wookiepedia.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 AM

Okay, then I'd like to see a template made for the Sniper Elite game series. Maybe this thread could become a request thread for media series templates to be made.

The help page does talk about how to redirect pages, but should there also be a step-by-step guide? Moving a page breaks all the previous links to it, but making a new redirect page will "patch" the break and redirect those old links to the new page, right?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:38 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Okay, then I'd like to see a template made for the Sniper Elite game series. Maybe this thread could become a request thread for media series templates to be made.

The help page does talk about how to redirect pages, but should there also be a step-by-step guide? Moving a page breaks all the previous links to it, but making a new redirect page will "patch" the break and redirect those old links to the new page, right?
When you move a page, the option to automatically create a redirect is always checked. You can always uncheck it and not create a redirect, but that's usually due to typos in the page name or egregious errors.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:40 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

As for Sniper Elite, we have one WIP page that hasn't had an edit in almost two years, and two incomplete pages. There's no guarantee they'll be sticking around.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:17 PM

The Sniper Elite games are available on Steam, which makes taking screenshots rather easy, and the games have many fans, so it's likelier than not for someone to finish those pages.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:43 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
The Sniper Elite games are available on Steam, which makes taking screenshots rather easy, and the games have many fans, so it's likelier than not for someone to finish those pages.
You'd think, right?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
You'd think, right?
If what you're implying is that it's easy, I personally think a little more variety in game screenshots would be welcome too. Assuming you've finished the game and have a bunch of saves most places, it should also be easy to take screenshots of the firearms in a bunch of places and poses. That would certainly be more fun to look at than seeing all the screenshots on a page taken from just one level (usually the starting one) with only one pose.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:08 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
If what you're implying is that it's easy, I personally think a little more variety in game screenshots would be welcome too. Assuming you've finished the game and have a bunch of saves most places, it should also be easy to take screenshots of the firearms in a bunch of places and poses. That would certainly be more fun to look at than seeing all the screenshots on a page taken from just one level (usually the starting one) with only one pose.
Easy or not, no one has bothered to do it. That's the key.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

And just like that, someone completed III. It's easy if people actually want to do it.