imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 AM

Default New category requests thread

NOTE: If the mods don't believe this is a good idea, then please delete this thread.

I'm creating this thread because this way we have a centralized location for users of the wiki to request new Category pages, which to my knowledge only Moderators on the wiki have the power to create.

Since I'm first up, I'd like to request that a Category page for the author Cormac McCarthy be created, like the pages already made for the late great authors Elmore Leonard and Tom Clancy.

Cormac McCarthy already has a number of pages on the wiki based on his written works (being The Counselor, The Road, All the Pretty Horses, and of course, his blockbuster No Country for Old Men). I'm sure that the acclaim he's achieved means that more of his works featuring firearms will be adapted soon (though they should hurry; at 80 years of age he isn't apt to last much longer).
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

What was the final ruling on the threshold for writers? I thought it was ten.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:19 AM

I would like to think that the significance of the author and his/her written works has some work to play, rather than purely on the number of works s/he published. If Cormac McCarthy keeled over dead back in 2012, I'm sure his works would still be considered significant today.

Anyway, I'd like to know what it would take to make a Disambiguation page. Do you need moderator privileges to do that? I'd like to make one for Silent Hill because one could mean either the first game in the series, or the first movie, or the category. A disambiguation page could go some way towards correcting this.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I would like to think that the significance of the author and his/her written works has some work to play, rather than purely on the number of works s/he published. If Cormac McCarthy keeled over dead back in 2012, I'm sure his works would still be considered significant today.
You can argue the same for William Shakespeare, but he won't get a page until he meets the minimum either. Rather than ask us to lower the requirements, why not just create more pages to meet the requirement?

Quote:
Anyway, I'd like to know what it would take to make a Disambiguation page. Do you need moderator privileges to do that? I'd like to make one for Silent Hill because one could mean either the first game in the series, or the first movie, or the category. A disambiguation page could go some way towards correcting this.
Anyone can create a disambiguation page. Just create a page for "Silent Hill (disambiguation)" and remember to add the disambiguation pages category at the bottom.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
You can argue the same for William Shakespeare, but he won't get a page until he meets the minimum either. Rather than ask us to lower the requirements, why not just create more pages to meet the requirement?
You know, if I had the discs for Kenneth Branagh's uncut version of Hamlet from 1996 (transplanted to the 19th Century, period-accurate firearms included, and starring such great names among actors like Kate Winslet, Robin Williams, and Derek Jacobi), I would make an entry in the wiki for that film. But I don't, sadly. I also don't know of any other Shakespeare film adaptations that use firearms, other than Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet.

As for the last Category I suggested, I recently got my hands on a DVD copy of A Scanner, Darkly and will be making an entry for that film soon. Should help to fill out the Philip K. Dick category.

And what about creating categories for game series (such as the Time Crisis game series, which has 3 entries on this wiki so far)? That still requires moderator privileges, right?

Quote:
Anyone can create a disambiguation page. Just create a page for "Silent Hill (disambiguation)" and remember to add the disambiguation pages category at the bottom.
Yes, but will search queries for "Silent Hill" actually be redirected to the new disambiguation page after it is created?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
You know, if I had the discs for Kenneth Branagh's uncut version of Hamlet from 1996 (transplanted to the 19th Century, period-accurate firearms included, and starring such great names among actors like Kate Winslet, Robin Williams, and Derek Jacobi), I would make an entry in the wiki for that film. But I don't, sadly. I also don't know of any other Shakespeare film adaptations that use firearms, other than Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet.
There's also Richard III from 1995, Coriolanus from 2011 and Macbeth from 1998 which was a first day incomplete. I know there's at least two other modern versions of Macbeth that would be eligible, a TV movie starring Patrick Stewart from 2010 and an Australian version starring Sam Worthington from 2006. I've flipped through both, they both have guns.

Quote:
And what about creating categories for game series (such as the Time Crisis game series, which has 3 entries on this wiki so far)? That still requires moderator privileges, right?
Anyone can create a category, but that doesn't mean you should. One of the Time Crisis page is a first day incomplete, and another is on extremely shaky ground.

Quote:
Yes, but will search queries for "Silent Hill" actually be redirected to the new disambiguation page after it is created?
I'll take care of the redirects, you can fill the page.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
There's also Richard III from 1995, Coriolanus from 2011 and Macbeth from 1998 which was a first day incomplete. I know there's at least two other modern versions of Macbeth that would be eligible, a TV movie starring Patrick Stewart from 2010 and an Australian version starring Sam Worthington from 2006. I've flipped through both, they both have guns.
Those 5 combined with Romeo + Juliet and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet make 7. The Philip K. Dick category was created with only 6 of his eligible works available (I'll be adding A Scanner Darkly soon).

Quote:
Anyone can create a category, but that doesn't mean you should. One of the Time Crisis page is a first day incomplete, and another is on extremely shaky ground.
So if we want to do that, we just enter "CategorySomething)" in the "Create New Page" form, then press that button?

I'd be making more video game pages myself, if I had reliable method of getting screenshots from console games.

Quote:
I'll take care of the redirects, you can fill the page.
Thanks a lot--the first version has been created.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Those 5 combined with Romeo + Juliet and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet make 7. The Philip K. Dick category was created with only 6 of his eligible works available (I'll be adding A Scanner Darkly soon).
Netflix had both Macbeths streaming a while back, but now you have to get the discs.

Quote:
So if we want to do that, we just enter "Category: (Something)" in the "Create New Page" form, then press that button?
That works. I usually just edit an eligible page, add the category, and then click on the red link.

Quote:
I'd be making more video game pages myself, if I had reliable method of getting screenshots from console games.
Video games, especially console video games, are hard to do. Not only do you need a good device for capturing screenshots, you also need to spend hours playing the game, unlocking all the weapons. (I'd finish the Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel page tomorrow if I had a decent capture device.) You also have to cover DLC, so for a Call of Duty or Battlefieldgame, you're paying out $120 just to do a page. Compare that to doing a movie, which is just two hours and it costs a dollar or two to rent. (Or free if you go to the library.)
Old 03-06-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Netflix had both Macbeths streaming a while back, but now you have to get the discs.
Since they're both Shakespeare movies, I wonder if they'll be available in libraries (probably not the Blu-ray versions, though).

Quote:
That works. I usually just edit an eligible page, add the category, and then click on the red link.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Video games, especially console video games, are hard to do. Not only do you need a good device for capturing screenshots, you also need to spend hours playing the game, unlocking all the weapons. (I'd finish the Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel page tomorrow if I had a decent capture device.) You also have to cover DLC, so for a Call of Duty or Battlefieldgame, you're paying out $120 just to do a page. Compare that to doing a movie, which is just two hours and it costs a dollar or two to rent. (Or free if you go to the library.)
I think we need to make a stickied thread showing just what kind of console-game-compatible screen capture devices we've used for this wiki so other users can learn from those experiences. And DLC expenses are becoming the standard now, ever since big-name publishers learned that they get more profits by selling game content in dribs and drabs (though expansion packs on discs came long before DLC ever existed).
Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:

I think we need to make a stickied thread showing just what kind of console-game-compatible screen capture devices we've used for this wiki so other users can learn from those experiences. And DLC expenses are becoming the standard now, ever since big-name publishers learned that they get more profits by selling game content in dribs and drabs (though expansion packs on discs came long before DLC ever existed).
I can't really fault game companies for DLC prices. I believe video games are far cheaper than they should be. Twenty five years ago, I remember getting TMNT: The Arcade Game for the NES on sale for $40. A game today, with many more hours of content, only costs $60. I think there's just some psychological price barrier people aren't willing to break through, and DLC is just trying to compensate for that.

As for capture devices, I don't think an HD one exists for less than a hundred bucks.