imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
As a police officer a handgun is more useful. I need my hands free to do things like look at driver licenses, take photographs, arrest people, write in my notepad, ect. It just isn't as practical to carry a rifle or shotgun on my person all the time. But I never know when I might need a firearm so I carry a pistol - two of them actually. The rifle and shotgun ride in my patrolcar.
What kind of rifle and shotgun?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
What kind of rifle and shotgun?
I bet an AR-15 and an 870

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 PM

I bet a Mini-14 and a Mossberg 500. Ha!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
I bet a Mini-14 and a Mossberg 500. Ha!
I'll believe a Mossberg but really, a Mini-14?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

A Colt AR-15 carbine from 1977. It's old, like me, but it still works and a Remington 870. most of the time when I think it might be time for the long-guns to be deployed I go with the Remington. I'm usually the only guy with the shotgun. I get teased by the younger officers, but the shotgun is a powerful psychological tool (big bore and that great racking sound) and it can be useful on locks and door hinges. I've shot up doors a few times at our range and it really does work like they show in the movies. I carry both 00 buck and slugs.

The sheriff department carried the Ruger Mini-14 up until a few years ago then they went to the M4 carbine. Yes that's right the M4 carbine with the 3 round round burst setting. Traditionally sheriff department's have more money than city departments - more of a tax base to rely on. Incidentally even though police departments can buy and carry full-auto weapons here in the United States we still have to pay the Federal tax on them. I had one of the local ATF agents tell me that. So it can get pretty expensive.

If we want a rifle we have to provide our own. The deputies are issued their rifles. *Sigh*.

I carry a Glock 19 and my backup is the S&W Model 49 Bodyguard. I also am authorized to carry my Glock 26 as a backup and off-duty gun. My department authorizes either the Glock 21 or the Glock 19. I went with the G19 becasue I have small(ish) hands and I didn't like the big blocky grip of the G21. Now we've got the new Gen4 G21's and as a firearms instructer I was given the option of taking one of the first ones to come in. But I've been carrying my G19 for almost seven years now (it was brand new when I got it) and I like it. So I'm sticking with the whimpy 9mm.

Last edited by Jcordell; 11-16-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well a cop buddy of mine said he'd rather pay the money to get his own than be issued a weapon that he might or might not be allowed to modify to his own spec. For a patrol rifle, he personalized his own AR-15. Sure he had to pay for the tax stamp on it being an SBR, but he said it was worth it.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I'll believe a Mossberg but really, a Mini-14?
That's what our Deputies carry and our Troopers can select either a Mini-14 or Bushmaster.

I like it.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I would've thought that it'd be the opposite, that they'd issue more shotguns and make rifles optional. Like you said, it's more versatile, and you don't have to worry about stray rounds or overpenetration as much. And most importantly, for the most part, they're cheaper than most rifles.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I would've thought that it'd be the opposite, that they'd issue more shotguns and make rifles optional. Like you said, it's more versatile, and you don't have to worry about stray rounds or overpenetration as much. And most importantly, for the most part, they're cheaper than most rifles.
I believe that shotguns are gradually giving away to rifles in American law enforcement. Basing that on what I've read and just following trends. I'm going to be 45 in a couple months and I like the shotgun though like all firearms it has it's limits. However like I wrote in my earlier posting it seems that younger officers prefer the rifle over the shotgun. And it's understandable. It carries more ammo. is easier to reload, easier to shoot and has greater range.

I might be a dinosaur, but I understand.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
A Colt AR-15 carbine from 1977. It's old, like me, but it still works and a Remington 870. most of the time when I think it might be time for the long-guns to be deployed I go with the Remington. I'm usually the only guy with the shotgun. I get teased by the younger officers, but the shotgun is a powerful psychological tool (big bore and that great racking sound) and it can be useful on locks and door hinges. I've shot up doors a few times at our range and it really does work like they show in the movies. I carry both 00 buck and slugs.
Wow an old slab slide, way cool. You should post a pic of it if you're allowed to. If your 870 has wood furniture, that would be the icing on the cake. I have a 653 clone (fixed carry handle, 16" lw barrel) I prefer the way it handles and shoots over my M4gery with all the tac stuff. Simple is better sometimes.

Quote:
The sheriff department carried the Ruger Mini-14 up until a few years ago then they went to the M4 carbine. Yes that's right the M4 carbine with the 3 round round burst setting. Traditionally sheriff department's have more money than city departments - more of a tax base to rely on. Incidentally even though police departments can buy and carry full-auto weapons here in the United States we still have to pay the Federal tax on them. I had one of the local ATF agents tell me that. So it can get pretty expensive.

If we want a rifle we have to provide our own. The deputies are issued their rifles. *Sigh*..
Yeah our sheriff's department is way too big. (We've done building drawings for them in that past, so I really shouldn't complain.) There was an article a few years back when they got new ARs. They weren't full auto or anything. I can't remember the maker I think it was Del-ton or something. There was bid between several makers. The deputies were required to go through a training course and had to pass before being issued one. Which I thought was good policy. I think our police department still has just shotguns.

Last edited by predator20; 11-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.