imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-22-2010, 04:11 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzang1847 View Post
Just to clarify before starting....

State: WA
Gender: Male(does it matter to metion this anyway? Oh it might be....)
Weight: 200 lb
Height: 6 ft

I never owned a gun in United States
, so i am not very talented in shooting and i don't have a damn good friend who can teach me which gun do i have to buy, so here i come.
I should start by asking a question nobody else has asked yet...when you say, "in the United States", does that mean you aren't originally from the U.S.? The only reason I ask is because you have to be a Permanent Resident to buy a firearm. But maybe you knew that already, so I apologize if I'm telling you anything that is irrelevant.

In my opinion, an AR-15 in .223 is a perfectly sane choice for a first long gun if you have $2,000 to spend. AKs are fun, too, but they're usually purchased by people who (A.) can't afford ARs, or (B.) just want to have one for collection purposes (i.e. myself). ARs are fairly easy for most people new to long guns to master; most people find it easy to shoot good shot groups at 25 yards almost as soon as they pick up the weapon (well, OK, after zeroing, of course ). I own both an AR and an AK, and the AR is all I ever shoot these days.

As far as a .22 goes: Screw it. .22s are for kids who haven't hit puberty yet (or really, really skinny girls). For someone your age and size, you won't have any more problems with a .223 than you'd have with a .22. Plus, .22s just feel like toys. The ammo cost is the only advantage, and I'm of the opinion that you might as well just save for something in a larger caliber and get the most fun out of the experience. Even for plinking, an AR-15 is a good choice. You can get one of the cheaper models that's made for people who only intend to plink; I recommend checking out the "Plinker Plus" line from Olympic Arms for a start.

Oh, and unless you plan to do serious target shooting, forget about anything chambered in .308. I don't know anybody who owns a .308 and enjoys shooting it just for fun. The guys who own M1As and Remy 700s are the types of dudes who will buy the rifle and then put down another $2-$3 Grande replacing the barrel, scope, stock, and almost everything that the rifle comes with from the factory. My uncle owns an M1A that he almost never shoots (he once told me that he only bought it out of nostalgia - the M14 was what he trained on in ROTC).

Last edited by MT2008; 08-22-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzang1847 View Post
2. I didn't say 1911 design sucks. I mean the Colt never makes something very unique or special other than just making same gun over over again.
They did make other handguns(Colt Double Eagle, Colt All American 2000), however those didn't sell very well but the 1911 did.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
They did make other handguns(Colt Double Eagle, Colt All American 2000), however those didn't sell very well but the 1911 did.
As I said before. Tried and true tech never fails. But if you want to just own a gun to shoot on the range and not for self defense, ask MT2008 up there

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-22-2010, 06:02 AM

There's nothing wrong with continuing to make a gun when it has proven to be of good quality, but Colt has taken a lot of shortcuts and shot themsleves in the foot with their ventures. They have govermnent contracts so they don't really care about what the civ market wants, especially when everyone else makes 1911s now (but I can ask any 1911 fan if they'd like to see Colt do a WWII reproduction gun or bring back the Python and everyone would say YES).

If it's a pistol for recreational shooting, any decent production 9mm will do. It will run you 500 bucks give or take. If you want a rifle for recreational shooting, get an AR-15 or AK-47. You can get a good AR setup for 1000 dollars give or take, and a good AK setup for 600 give or take, depending upon what's available in your region. You should only get a .22 if you are pressed for cash and you want to shoot so much you get bored of it.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I should start by asking a question nobody else has asked yet...when you say, "in the United States", does that mean you aren't originally from the U.S.? The only reason I ask is because you have to be a Permanent Resident to buy a firearm. But maybe you knew that already, so I apologize if I'm telling you anything that is irrelevant.

In my opinion, an AR-15 in .223 is a perfectly sane choice for a first long gun if you have $2,000 to spend. AKs are fun, too, but they're usually purchased by people who (A.) can't afford ARs, or (B.) just want to have one for collection purposes (i.e. myself). ARs are fairly easy for most people new to long guns to master; most people find it easy to shoot good shot groups at 25 yards almost as soon as they pick up the weapon (well, OK, after zeroing, of course ). I own both an AR and an AK, and the AR is all I ever shoot these days.

As far as a .22 goes: Screw it. .22s are for kids who haven't hit puberty yet (or really, really skinny girls). For someone your age and size, you won't have any more problems with a .223 than you'd have with a .22. Plus, .22s just feel like toys. The ammo cost is the only advantage, and I'm of the opinion that you might as well just save for something in a larger caliber and get the most fun out of the experience. Even for plinking, an AR-15 is a good choice. You can get one of the cheaper models that's made for people who only intend to plink; I recommend checking out the "Plinker Plus" line from Olympic Arms for a start.

Oh, and unless you plan to do serious target shooting, forget about anything chambered in .308. I don't know anybody who owns a .308 and enjoys shooting it just for fun. The guys who own M1As and Remy 700s are the types of dudes who will buy the rifle and then put down another $2-$3 Grande replacing the barrel, scope, stock, and almost everything that the rifle comes with from the factory. My uncle owns an M1A that he almost never shoots (he once told me that he only bought it out of nostalgia - the M14 was what he trained on in ROTC).
My only disagreement with you on the .22s is they are convenient when you a) Don't want people two miles away to hear you plinking with Zuess' thunderbolts (.223s and 7.62x39mms are fucking LOUD), b) If you want to get down drilling multiple targets without recoil. Many professionals train on .22 converted guns similar to their competition guns to get down the basics then practice recoil control after. And finally c) You can buy a 500 brick of .22s for a much better deal than any other rifle caliber. I'd say a good deal would be to buy a .223 AR-15, and then spend a little more money buying a .22 conversion upper kit for the AR. That way you can shoot both .223 and .22 out of the same weapon, so you can practice quitely and recoilessly with the .22, and then use the .223 for recoil training and more serious events.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

If you are determined to get a new 22 rifle I suggest either Ruger, Savage or Marlin. They're affordable and well made. Personally I like the Marlin Model 60. I've owned mine for 26 years and I've never had any trouble with it.

There are also many 22 rifles on the second hand market. Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger, Marlin ect.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

It does feel like a toy when you shoot a .22. But they allow great practice at 100 yards so you can work on breathing, trigger control and a steady aim without the recoil. It wouldn't cost more than $300 for the rifle and a lot of ammo.

Quote:
While you have never met me "met me". I enjoy shooting my .308 just as much as my .223. I like to get good with something besides a varmint round. While it's tougher on the shoulder that's just the 1000 ft. lbs more of muzzle energy.

Also to the OP, since you like the looks of the M1A. (If they weren't so costly I would have gotten one instead of my L1A1.) If you decide to go the .223 route. I'd recommend the Mini-14. They look like a scaled down M1A.

But if you're just starting out. Take baby steps. Get a .22, then a .223 and then finally a .308.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 PM

I agree on the .22 - if you're just starting out, it is the easiest and best way to learn to actually shoot. Get yourself a decent .22 and lots of ammo and find someone to teach you proper position, breathing and trigger control and you won't regret it.

Also, I plink with a .30-06, among many other large calibers. I sold my 7.62 x 39mm and even after 4 years in the army have no desire for a .223.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
My father worked for U.S Army for more than 20 years, and army gave him permanent residenship in U.S, so the whole family came to U.S about 4 years ago

So i am not an illegal resident.

Last edited by zzang1847; 08-22-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post

Also to the OP, since you like the looks of the M1A. (If they weren't so costly I would have gotten one instead of my L1A1.) If you decide to go the .223 route. I'd recommend the Mini-14. They look like a scaled down M1A.

I knew about the Mini-14. It was classic design, resonable price, and even uses 5.56 which doesn't kick very hard for beginner

But i felt something wrong with it, so i just went over it.

I'll take that advice seriously