imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default SIG Sauer P220

I got to pick this up yesterday after the waiting period was up. I've been wanting to get one of these after I handled one when I bought my S&W 4505. My local gun shop has two of them, but neither were worth what they were asking. The guy I bought it from had it refinished from CCR and said it was in excellent condition prior to refinishing. After looking over it thoroughly, I got no reason to say it wasn't. Loaded it weighs 2lbs-5oz, about 10oz less than the 4505, 7 less than my Para 1911.

I thought the gun would be older since the slide is W. German marked. But the date code KF and serial G 239 xxx put it at '95. It still has the older 2-dot sights, which I kind of like. I probably won't get to shoot it this weekend, maybe the following. Major thanks to Matt (MT2008) who probably got tired of all my questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SIGP220.JPG (91.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 PM

Very nice. I wouldn't mind having one of those newer P220 Combats myself...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Glad to hear you finally got it! And no, I didn't get tired of the questions. Be sure to tell us how it shoots, too. Does it fit your hand pretty well?

As for the date code, I'm surprised. It isn't uncommon to find older SIGs that are stamped "Made in W. Germany" even though their date code indicates they were built later; it just means that the slide was lying around for a while before someone used it on a production gun. But 1995? Seems kinda weird for the slide to have been sitting in storage for 6+ years.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM

i can't wait to hear how it shoots. im a SIG person myself, love the feel and the ergonomics. glad you got one
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Glad to hear you finally got it! And no, I didn't get tired of the questions. Be sure to tell us how it shoots, too. Does it fit your hand pretty well?

As for the date code, I'm surprised. It isn't uncommon to find older SIGs that are stamped "Made in W. Germany" even though their date code indicates they were built later; it just means that the slide was lying around for a while before someone used it on a production gun. But 1995? Seems kinda weird for the slide to have been sitting in storage for 6+ years.
The gun fits my hand great. Before I bought the 4505, I handled a 220 at the gun shop and liked the grip better than the 4505.

As for the date code. It seems unlikely that they would have a six year stock pile of slides. I haven't looked at SIGs long enough to see if they are earlier ones than mine that are marked Germany only. Maybe they kept the W. on the 220 stampings longer than the 226? But that seems really unlikely too.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM

Nice gun. I almost bought a P220, but I made the mistake of buying that accursed High Standard

http://www.introvertisland.com