imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The box o truth didn't use a .50 on the window, so don't know if it'll penetrate a thick layer of glass. Maybe.

The Beowulf was designed to go through engine blocks so I think it should go through specific glass.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-21-2009, 06:03 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Actually the AA-12 is currently leading on the list of shotguns I'm considering for that part. Both characters have backgrounds in covert ops and have the connections within the DoD to get pretty much anything they want.

The AA-12 may more or less fall under the mall ninja category, but the thing is still scary as fuck...
You consider weapons for "parts"? Seems kind of superfluous to me. Personally, when I write screenplays (I've written a few), I tend to think about the story, the characters, and the way I convey the mood of a particular scene. I'm pretty sure most screenwriters do, since those kinds of things matter a lot more than the guns.

Also, why the AA-12 and not the USAS-12?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
You consider weapons for "parts"? Seems kind of superfluous to me. Personally, when I write screenplays (I've written a few), I tend to think about the story, the characters, and the way I convey the mood of a particular scene. I'm pretty sure most screenwriters do, since those kinds of things matter a lot more than the guns.
I plan a story out on a scene-by-scene basis and write them largely in the order they happen. Of course, I have a basic end result that drives it, but I improve a lot of happenings between beginning and end.

As far as arming characters, I use a combination of what I personally like and what I think suits his/her personality. I try to make the guns part of the character instead of just a tool of the character.

The two characters from this scene as an example:

Church, the shotgun-wielding ex-Special Forces soldier, is more direct and to the point of things. He's concerned more with just getting the job done than how he gets it done. If he wants to knock somebody out, he's gonna grab said person by the collar, throw him against the wall, and plant a fist in his face. So he uses a 1911 (currently a Desert Warrior, but I may change it) as his preferred carry.

His partner Alexis (the main protagonist that the plot centers around), by contrast, is more stylistic. A sort of Sam Fisher-like special agent previous to the story events (I left her past largely blank to emphasize how secret the agency she worked for is), she definitely has the skills to get the job done, but she puts extra effort into looking cool while doing so. If she wants to knock someone out, she'll do it with some fancy Solid Snake-esque "CQC" move. Taking into account her "tactical personality" as well as her flare for the dramatic, I've chosen as her standard everyday carry a USP-45 CT, while her "combat carry" (pistol-wise) is two full size USP-45 Tacticals. In effect, she's more "tacticool" and mall ninja-esque, but still more than capable of backing up her words.

Quote:
Also, why the AA-12 and not the USAS-12?
The USAS-12 is semi-auto only, isn't it? I want the AA-12 for its full-auto capability and the awesome amount of firepower it's capable of putting out at a moment's notice.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 AM

Personally, I'd spring for the aforementioned M4 Super 90. Unless you're going to write it in as a plot point somewhere along the line, a slight credibility issue could come up with using a fully-automatic, very distinctive looking shotgun, especially if you're planning on leaving any of the victims of the ambush alive...

"I don't know what I could tell you, man...one of them was wielding this really blocky-looking gun...I just know one thing...I ain't never seen a 12-gauge fire that fast..."

Of course, that's just me thinking. I don't know what kind of realism you're shooting for here (no pun intended).

On a tangent...I've just started on my second and third novel, and this topic has inspired me to ask a couple of questions, one for each.

1) The second novel is a direct sequel to the first, taking place some three years after the first. One of the main characters, an LAPD detective, has been established in the first novel to carry a Walther P99AS in 9mm (unrealistic, yes, but despite the fact that I pretty much went the summer-blockbuster route with the novel, I did try to allude to his getting approval to carry the gun). He also used a SIG 552 as a carbine, but lost it in a climatic gunfight. As I start the second novel, I've toyed with the idea of replacing the SIG with either a short-barreled variant of the 556 or a Colt M933 (or similar variant). Should I choose either of these two guns, or should I just have him acquire a new 552 and roll with it?

2) The third novel is more of a crime drama, set in Baltimore. I'm trying to decide on a sidearm for the main character, an assassin with a tragic past and vengance on his mind. I've floated from a Desert Eagle, quickly over to a P99 (I know, I know...but I really like the gun), to a SIG Pro, to a Beretta, back to the P99. I'm kinda stumped. Any suggestions?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Personally, I'd spring for the aforementioned M4 Super 90. Unless you're going to write it in as a plot point somewhere along the line, a slight credibility issue could come up with using a fully-automatic, very distinctive looking shotgun, especially if you're planning on leaving any of the victims of the ambush alive...
No, not currently planning on leaving anyone but the hit team and the inmate being transported alive.

Quote:
Of course, that's just me thinking. I don't know what kind of realism you're shooting for here (no pun intended).
It borrows a lot from the game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, so I'm more or less aiming for "semi-realistic Hollywood crime thriller". It'll have a lot of the action movie cliches, like thugs with Desert Eagles, gunfights with pistols and subguns held akimbo, and grenade launchers and anti-tank weapons used in way closer ranges than they actually can be.

The plot largely concerns the sexy, ambitious super spy protagonist Alexis Vega and her quest to build and maintain her own criminal empire in Vice City, Florida. It follows the Scarface formula, in that it will be a trilogy chronicling her rise, prosper, and ultimately her fall. It's something I've been sitting on for a good several years, but haven't worked much on in quite a while, mostly because I rewrote an "extra" role into that of a more significant character and ended up getting stuck.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:19 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
The USAS-12 is semi-auto only, isn't it? I want the AA-12 for its full-auto capability and the awesome amount of firepower it's capable of putting out at a moment's notice.
No, the USAS-12 is made in both select-fire and semi-auto versions. The semi version was for civilian sales only.

Plus, the AA-12 is friggin' ugly, while the USAS-12 looks kinda cool (I was just watching an episode of "The Sentinel" where some bank robbers use one).
Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Both the AA-12 and the USAS-12 are the same in terms of ugliness. The AA-12 at least loses some of the extra things like a carrying handle and looks a bit more streamline

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

I´d use this one for a normal action movie (USAS-12):

Nice gun, but is not available anymore in Usa, except those pre-ban and limited post-ban made in Usa.

... and this for a futuristic movie (AA-12):
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 AM

Well, this story is set in modern day.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
I´d use this one for a normal action movie (USAS-12):

Nice gun, but is not available anymore in Usa, except those pre-ban and limited post-ban made in Usa.

... and this for a futuristic movie (AA-12):
It's weird that you say that, because the AA-12 is the older design of the two! The USAS-12 looks more modern and high-tech, IMO.

Also, USAS-12 is apparently still made for LEO sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Both the AA-12 and the USAS-12 are the same in terms of ugliness. The AA-12 at least loses some of the extra things like a carrying handle and looks a bit more streamline
I think carry handles look cool, but that's just me.