imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM

The character was against guns but it was more a less a plot device, IMO. Reember, the show was about him making inventions and using his mind. If MacGyver carried a gun, well, this would be the show formula.

1. bad guys do something.
2. macgyver sees this.
3. "Bang"
4. credits

Elapsed time: 3 minutes.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
We talked about this on the IMFDB page for that show. Even though Richard Dean Anderson is/was an HCI/Brady Campaign member, and even though his character in the show refused to use guns, "MacGyver" didn't really have any political statements against guns or gun ownership. That's the difference between it and almost every other movie/TV show we've listed so far.
I dont know...i remember a episode where a bald eagle gets shot at the begining and believing it to be pretty open about hunters and civilians with firearms being a bad thing.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:20 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
The character was against guns but it was more a less a plot device, IMO. Reember, the show was about him making inventions and using his mind. If MacGyver carried a gun, well, this would be the show formula.

1. bad guys do something.
2. macgyver sees this.
3. "Bang"
4. credits

Elapsed time: 3 minutes.
That's the thing I like about "Burn Notice"...Michael Westen comes up with all sorts of crazy improvised weapons and schemes to defeat the bad guys, but he isn't so self-righteous that he never uses guns. "Burn Notice" is pretty much the show that I wish "MacGyver" could have been (aside from the protagonist's distaste for guns, it was otherwise a pretty cool show).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
I dont know...i remember a episode where a bald eagle gets shot at the begining and believing it to be pretty open about hunters and civilians with firearms being a bad thing.
Hmmm, point taken then. But as long as the show wasn't constantly and overtly political about guns, I'm still not sure it's fair to classify "MacGyver" as an anti-gun show in the same way as "Liberty Stands Still" or "Strapped" (for example).
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM

So...would a...Bowling for columbine be concidered anti-gun.

ooh...and a real one would be "American Gun".
Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Lord of War was off and on Anti gun

I believe all the Leathal Weapons have anti-gun themes

and Witness had a anti-gun speech in it
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The Y2K episode of Family Guy had a strangely pro-gun message in the end. (The survivors melted down their guns, and thus were unable to fend off Stewie's mutant offspring.) Strange because the show is otherwise usually pretty liberal.

(And it just dawned on me that Family Guy has been around long enough to actually have a Y2K episode. Wow.)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I didn't think it was all that anti-gun (besides the line about "There are more gun stores in America than McDonald's"). Deliberately selling weapons to dictators, war lords, and terrorists (knowing exactly how they plan to use the weapons), in violation of arms embargoes, is something I'm pretty sure that any reasonable person can agree is wrong, regardless of where they stand in the American gun control debate.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:

I believe all the Leathal Weapons have anti-gun themes

and Witness had a anti-gun speech in it
Richard Donner is anti-gun.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 PM

Lord of War also showed that the bad guys had to buy illegally from him, they werent strolling into cabelas and coming out with a HK21e.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I didn't think it was all that anti-gun (besides the line about "There are more gun stores in America than McDonald's"). Deliberately selling weapons to dictators, war lords, and terrorists (knowing exactly how they plan to use the weapons), in violation of arms embargoes, is something I'm pretty sure that any reasonable person can agree is wrong, regardless of where they stand in the American gun control debate.
"Lord of War opens with one of the most impressive and provocative credit sequences in recent memory. Adopting a point-of-view perspective, the camera follows a bullet from its manufacture in an American factory to various ports, then across the globe to a small African village where it is placed in the chamber of a pistol and shot through the skull of a young boy."
-AZRickD-

I was speaking for on the front that the US gets more blame on gun issues and that Nato is alway doing heavy pushing on small arms banning. Plus the movie fail to properly inform the mainstream audiences about the deeper issues.