imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 View Post
A few of my friends are all getting their CCW permits this week. Hopefully I'll be able to join them in a few months.
my sister, who is 29, didn't get her's until this past December.

It took her getting her "own" gun before she displayed any interest in it.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I'm going to a crawfish boil at my cousin's house, so I'm going to be asking her husband about buying all that Norinco 7.62x39mm he has laying around. His father actually brought back a Type 56 from Vietnam, and after he died his friend got it but didn't take the ammo for whatever reason
He GAVE me over 500 rounds of various 7.62x39mm. In exchange, at some point I'm going to take him to the range and furnish all the guns and ammo. I'm also going to give him a bunch of misc. .308 I have sitting in one of my crates

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 AM

Bought 440 count spam can of 7.62x54r to feed the mosin.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:46 AM

i sold my bg380, but bought a m44 and 440 rounds of ammo

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...1-carbine-9mm/

I've always wanted an M1 Carbine, but I haven't really pursued it because until recently, I lived in a state that banned them by name, and I've been worried about the availability of ammo.

I'm a bit torn on this. 9mm is relatively cheap and plentiful, but at the same time, you lose a lot in terms of stopping power and range.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

9mm isn't a weak round. Also enough rounds in the chest and the man's down. A good hollow point 9mm is just as effective as high caliber rounds. The range of a 9mm really depends on the gun that's shooting it and how good of a shooter you are.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
9mm isn't a weak round. Also enough rounds in the chest and the man's down. A good hollow point 9mm is just as effective as high caliber rounds. The range of a 9mm really depends on the gun that's shooting it and how good of a shooter you are.
I certainly don't have a problem with 9mm. But it's a pistol round, compared to the .30 Carbine, which was designed as a carbine round. I can't find data for comparison though. All the .30 Carbine data is based on an 18 inch barrel, but the 9mm data is based on pistol length barrels.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM

If you push hot 9mm loads through a carbine length barrel, you're bound to get significant ballistic improvements. .30 Carbine still has a longer case and more powder potential, and yes, it was designed from the ground up to be a carbine cartridge, but 9mm is cheaper and will fit in all of your handguns too.

If I were to get a pistol caliber carbine, I'd like to get a levergun in .357 Magnum. You get all of the cool from owning a lever action rifle, with better ballistic performance than 9mm or some other pistol caliber, and you still have interchangeability of ammunition if you own revolvers. M1 Carbines are really cool guns too, and you can get 30 round mags for them, the only problem with them is the proprietary and costly nature of the ammo in my eyes.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

A while ago, I picked up one with a synthetic stock and it had a thinner grip so people with smaller hands can fully grasp it. I've always found the wood stock to be a bit thick to hold onto and I've got pretty big hands.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
If you push hot 9mm loads through a carbine length barrel, you're bound to get significant ballistic improvements. .30 Carbine still has a longer case and more powder potential, and yes, it was designed from the ground up to be a carbine cartridge, but 9mm is cheaper and will fit in all of your handguns too.

If I were to get a pistol caliber carbine, I'd like to get a levergun in .357 Magnum. You get all of the cool from owning a lever action rifle, with better ballistic performance than 9mm or some other pistol caliber, and you still have interchangeability of ammunition if you own revolvers. M1 Carbines are really cool guns too, and you can get 30 round mags for them, the only problem with them is the proprietary and costly nature of the ammo in my eyes.
That's the thing, I always saw 20 or 30 round mags at gun shows, but it's a moot point if I get one in 9mm.

I may go for the lever action. At least I don't have to worry about some politician ever going after them.