imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

No, it's ok to rant about how unfair the world is. So when everything goes to hell because of shitty gun laws, we can just tell our government we told them so, even though they'll find another scapegoat to blame.

Ha, assault weapons ban. Biden doesn't know what an assault weapon is, or what constitute as a "high capacity magazine". 30 round mags aren't high capacity. They're standard.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-21-2008, 04:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Ha, assault weapons ban. Biden doesn't know what an assault weapon is, or what constitute as a "high capacity magazine". 30 round mags aren't high capacity. They're standard.
My favorite is that quote from good 'ol Chuck Schumer where he's talking about an example of a criminal using a "high-capacity magazine", and he says, "[The shooter] used a stock. Our legislation bans more than 10-bullet stocks."
Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

A lot can be done with 10 rounds. I can reload a gun in one seconds and now have another 10. What damage can be done with 20 rounds! Apparently, the politicians have seen too many action movies (or been in too many) and don't know that guns can reload quite easily.

Who the hell looks at a Ruger 10/22 or a Browning A5 shotgun and considers them assault weapons? They are sporting and hunting arms!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm sure most of us who's handled firearms can reload a any weapon in a few seconds. And a lot of crimes are committed with guns with less than 10 rounds. The VA Tech guy had a 10 round glock 17 and reloaded a dozen times.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

I think he had a Glock 22 actually (something bigger than 9mm). And a Walther P22 (another ten shot). But the idea is that it doesn't matter how many bullets your gun can hold, you can reload.

Luckily I have a lot of pre-ban mags. It is dumb that you can still buy pre-ban mags even with the ban. I mean, I like it because it is a loophole, but how effective is it really to ban high-cap mags when you can buy ones older than the ban.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I'm sure most of us who's handled firearms can reload a any weapon in a few seconds. And a lot of crimes are committed with guns with less than 10 rounds. The VA Tech guy had a 10 round glock 17 and reloaded a dozen times.
He used a Glock-19 with 15-round and 33-round mags (mostly the former, a few of the latter) for most of the killing.

While I am of course pro-RKBA, I'm really not so sure I like the whole "there's no difference between a 30-round mag and three 10-round mags" argument. I mean, the fact is, if 30-round magazines didn't offer any advantages in firepower, they wouldn't have been invented in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
don't know that guns can reload quite easily.
Well, I think generally speaking, the logic isn't that shooters are trained marksman or former servicemen, but untrained idiots (in some cases, idiots who fire their guns sideways). Therefore, the question is usually along the lines of, "What types of guns allow a person with the least training possible to do the most damage for their skill level?" I don't exactly fault the gun controllers for their logic, just their goals. :-)

Last edited by MT2008; 12-22-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well, in WWII, to cut down costs, the Tommy guns used to have 30 round stick magazines, but were switched to 20s. The M16 started out with a 20 round magazine, but when observing how the opposing side with their AKs have 30 round magazines, we mind as well do the same.

I guess for civilians, I seriously doubt any of us in our everyday life would require the need to use a full auto M16 and 30 round mags, but it's the fact they would ban 30 round mags, and limit and restrict full auto to those who can afford it, gives the need to complain about it.

I think it comes down to the people who ask "Why ban it?" And people who say "Why not?" And what is in between are the excuses to support each side. It's a never ending struggle on who can bitch and moan the most.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Well, in WWII, to cut down costs, the Tommy guns used to have 30 round stick magazines, but were switched to 20s. The M16 started out with a 20 round magazine, but when observing how the opposing side with their AKs have 30 round magazines, we mind as well do the same.

I guess for civilians, I seriously doubt any of us in our everyday life would require the need to use a full auto M16 and 30 round mags, but it's the fact they would ban 30 round mags, and limit and restrict full auto to those who can afford it, gives the need to complain about it.

I think it comes down to the people who ask "Why ban it?" And people who say "Why not?" And what is in between are the excuses to support each side. It's a never ending struggle on who can bitch and moan the most.
Not sure I understand the point about Thompsons in WWII, but anyway, I do agree 30-round mags should be legal. I would hope just about anyone on IMFDB feels the same way. But I just don't agree with the argument about how there's no difference between them and three 10-rounders. It doesn't make sense to me, doesn't make sense to anyone with common sense, and doesn't really make our cause look good (on the contrary, it makes us look like we have to lie to further our agenda, which is something that I prefer to leave to Sarah Brady & co.)

And unfortunately, I have never been popular in the pro-gun community for my views on this particular matter. When I was a member of AWBansunset (remember them?), I used to take a lot of flack from other members on that board about our tactics.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-23-2008 at 05:05 PM.