imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Aliens vs Predators

I already kinda don't like this game, but not for the darkness and random bouts of steam from pipes and the whole DOOM concept, but for the fact of the weapons. So far, I've seen gameplay of using the pulse rifle and the pistol and it's the classic style of "mid mag reload and rack the bolt/charging handle/slide" like in a lot of games. This is another point on why game designers should at least ask a person who knows guns do you have to rack the slide or bolt when you are half empty? It might look cool, but it takes several seconds to change mags and then rack the bolt. In that few seconds, an Alien could pop in your face and kill you. It's just annoying. This is also the case for games like Fallout 3, Borderlands, etc

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM

At east it isn't like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, where you rack the slide/bolt every time you pull out your gun

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well, I haven't played AVP yet, so I'm not sure but I wouldn't get pass it. When I played the first Halo game, they do that every time you switch a weapon.

In COD MW and maybe the second one. In multiplayer, if you have a secondary weapon, sometimes if you switch to it the first time, you rack the slide or bolt, but just once.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I played that game when it came out 10 years ago. I could never get through it because I used to freak out every time a Face Hugger got me. I've always thought the Huggers are one of the most disgusting creatures anyone ever dreamt up, and the ones in "AvP" used to really get under my skin; they made that really unsettling chirping noise when they got you.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 AM
IMFDB Admin

I actually bought the game today and since I got it for PC, I had to install it a couple times and twick the system to get the graphics fixed. The game is dark and I don't mean dark. It makes Doom 3 look bright as hell. The flash lights are useless and the flares are also stupid sometimes. The pulse rifle takes half a mag to put down an alien and the pistol is almost useless, which explains why you have infinite ammo with the pistol, because it'll take several mags to put down something. The only good weapons are the shotgun and the Pulse rifle's grenade launcher.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Notice how the pistol is a 9mm

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

I really love the Smart gun, because it auto aims. All you have to do and aim in the general direction of an alien and pull the trigger. The gun does the work. Basically, the Smart Gun is a minigun, because it takes time to spin the barrels.

The shotgun and the sniper rifle are the only other good guns. The Pulse Rifle is an ok gun, but it's grenade launcher is the shit. I get that you can only load 4 shells of grenade in the pump, but it doesn't mean you can't have spares on you. I'd love to see the reload animation for the pump action grenade launcher.

The flamethrower is a double edged sword. It's good for wide open spaces or even long corridors. Once an alien gets a burst of flame, it slowly burns. The down side is that it slowly burns and still comes towards you. You can run back and aim your pistol at it for a finisher.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 PM

I sold borderlands since it was fun, but plot went nowhere. Coldnt get into it. Loved fallout 3, definitely got into it, the world was huge, detailed, so many characters and side quests, the 1860 henry, all great. Loving bad company 2 online now.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

That's why I am not getting the Borderlands DLC. The plot is very lacking

Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The game is dark and I don't mean dark. It makes Doom 3 look bright as hell.
Which conveniently tends to hide the fact that the graphics are pretty crappy, even for a game that came out 11 years ago.

I remember the night-vision solved most of the darkness problems, especially if you played as the Predator.