imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Got a S&W 4 screw K38 Target Masterpiece

Okay I am now the proud owner of a 4 screw S&W K38 Target Masterpiece with a heavy six inch barrel. S&W got rid of the 5th screw in 1955 and in 1957began numbering it's models. In 1961/62 S&W got rid of the 4th screw in front of the trigger guard.

In 1957 the K38 Target Masterpiece became the Model 14 Target Masterpiece. This particular specimen is what is referred to as a "Niche Collectible". Or so I've been informed by some of the folks over at the S&W forum. S&W didn't make a whole bunch of the Pre-14 4 screws before going to the numbering system evidently. Apparently collectors like them.

I recently sold a rifle and a shotgun so I was flush. I'm saving up for a Python. I'm getting closer, but being a hopeless S&W addict I couldn't pass up this baby. They were asking $320.00 for it and you don't find many K38 Target Masterpieces anymore. SMith stopped making them in 1982. They brought it back in 91, but with the full lugged barrel.

Smith is making the classic Model 14 again, but it's not the same. Different technology, different tooling and too many lawyers involved. Perhaps they new ones are actually better in terms of tolerances etc, but they just aren't the same.

Nyles you understand right?

I found this specimen in a local pawn shop. The same store where I've found my last three other classic revolvers. I don't know where they are getting them from, but they have my number now. I walk in and the owner says "Hey there. Come look at what I got." It never fails that among the Taurus,Rugers, Hi-Points,Armscors,and Rossis there will always be at least one or two cherry S&W or Colt revolvers.

I've got to stay away from the pawn shop for the next year or so.

I'm still ahead with my Python fund, but not if this keeps up. No more visits to that shop. I'm serious.

Anyway I cleaned it up and gave the inside a little lubrication. Very slick now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14A.jpg (61.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 14D.jpg (33.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 14B.jpg (39.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 14C.jpg (33.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-07-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Nice, I like it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Sweet. Whenever I see a new smith, I see a great functioning machine. But when I see an old one, well, Its a beautiful work of art. I see a "pre combat magnum" k frame 357 in the gun library that just calls to me

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Sweet. Whenever I see a new smith, I see a great functioning machine. But when I see an old one, well, Its a beautiful work of art. I see a "pre combat magnum" k frame 357 in the gun library that just calls to me
I understand. I really do. Today I dropped in at a local gunshop (not the pawnshop) to get some ammo and snapcaps. They had a 5 screw S&W Highway Patrolman (pre-Model 28) from 1954. One of the first ones. Boy oh boy. But I was strong and walked away.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I understand. I really do. Today I dropped in at a local gunshop (not the pawnshop) to get some ammo and snapcaps. They had a 5 screw S&W Highway Patrolman (pre-Model 28) from 1954. One of the first ones. Boy oh boy. But I was strong and walked away.
How much was the Highway Patrolman?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Very nice - I actually really like the Target Masterpiece, I love the look of the old-style Partridge sights. Need some wood grips on there though!

I definately get the appeal of "niche" collectibles. My taste is guns is often the subject of jokes at work. My personal favorite was "Yeah, they're actually discontinuing the 7mm WSM. Which means Nyles will probably buy one."
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
How much was the Highway Patrolman?
They wanted $800.00. It was in really good shape and had the old S&W smooth target stocks.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
They wanted $800.00. It was in really good shape and had the old S&W smooth target stocks.
I've seen Model 27's for much less

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 AM

Right, but it's a pre-Model 28, as in older and built in fewer numbers, so it will command more money.

I get the niche collectible deal too (92SB and a 6" Model 19, anyone?). Also lol @ Nyles' joke, I make the same one about myself sometimes, craving a Pre-B CZ 75 and a no-dash Model 60.

As far as S&W guns go, I won't buy one that was made after the 90s (around the time they changed to the floating firing pin and the use of MIM parts), partly because I think the guns they made before then were better made both in terms of aesthetic beauty and quality craftsmanship (older ones have always felt and functioned better in my experience), though modern production ones are definitely tanks, if not superb shooters. Then, of course, is my opinion on deleting the firing pin on the hammer. I have no idea why they did it, but it's one feature that defines a S&W over a Colt or other types of revolvers, and I always felt that was wrong of them to do that.

Also, seconded as far as what Nyles said, you need to put some wood on that thing, but you also need to send the Pachmayrs to me as I want a knockaround grip for my K frame. : D

Oh yeah, you just missed a Python at my store. Immaculate condition, wood grips, nickel plated, 1600 dollars. The fuck, Colt.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:14 AM

There selection is low right now but I always check summitgunbroker.com, they have a very good rep and have a lot of new guns but there police trade ins are the best deals, theres always old smith and wesson and often rugers like the service six. Ill be a future customer for sure.

Grunt, Mass effect 3