imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-21-2022, 04:13 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Old school (Pre WW2) S&W

My latest acquisition as of today. Military & Police 4th Change. Serial number is 55XXXX. Figure it was manufactured sometime following WWI into the mid- twenties. I stopped in at my favorite local gun-shop yesterday. Just a little hole in the wall place. The owner actually runs an autobody shop and his gun business is a hobby. It is located off of his office area and only people who are longtime customers know about the place (I've been buying from him since 2003). Anyway, I stopped in, and he had four M&P 4th change revolvers for sale. I jumped on the 4"-barrel model and had it pulled until I could pay for it. A few hours later a guy came in and bought the other three. He asked about the 4" but he was too late. For once I was ahead of the of the crowd. Took one with my Colt OP. Both are from the same era and good representations of classic cop guns. Incidentally I paid $650 out the door. I suppose some might feel I overpaid,but considering today's market I'm happy. The bore is very clean as is the entire piece. In excellent mechanical shape as well.

Last edited by Jcordell; 01-21-2022 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:10 AM

A great handgun!
Just curious, which of these two is better on your opinion - Colt or S&W?
Old 01-21-2022, 07:48 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Z View Post
A great handgun!
Just curious, which of these two is better on your opinion - Colt or S&W?
I definitely prefer the S&W double action and the K frame revolver fits my medium size hand very nicely. However I just like the older Colt double action revolvers. They're very well made. Lately I've become enamored with the Ruger Security-Six series as well. I guess it's six of one half a dozen of the other.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:06 PM

Thanks, that's interesting!
Old 02-06-2022, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I definitely prefer the S&W double action and the K frame revolver fits my medium size hand very nicely. However I just like the older Colt double action revolvers. They're very well made. Lately I've become enamored with the Ruger Security-Six series as well. I guess it's six of one half a dozen of the other.
If you were to get a Security Six series revolver, keep an eye on the ejector rod; sometimes on more worn in revolvers, they will back out a little bit and lock the gun up. It doesn't hurt anything, it is just annoying. I grew up shooting a Speed Six and would love to have one in .357 eventually

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-07-2022, 07:18 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
If you were to get a Security Six series revolver, keep an eye on the ejector rod; sometimes on more worn in revolvers, they will back out a little bit and lock the gun up. It doesn't hurt anything, it is just annoying. I grew up shooting a Speed Six and would love to have one in .357 eventually
The only Security Six I currently own. Next to one of my S&W Model 19s for comparison.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:01 AM

I almost had a stainless Security Six years back, but when I went to get it it had just sold, so I looked through the shop's used gun case and came up with a Beretta 85FS and almost got THAT before I saw a S&W 645

http://www.introvertisland.com