imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-14-2021, 04:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Old School AR Build

Just finished the "retro" look

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-17-2021, 01:44 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Nice! What upper/lower are those? Is that a real Colt N1 CAR stock, or the Brownell's clone version?

Side note: My next AR clone is also a retro build, but a specific type: It's an M4A1 which replicates the look of the weapons from late-90s/early-2000s action films (e.g. "Air Force One"). Right now, I have a Colt 6920 upper that I bought from Brownell's fitted with a C-More CTAC red dot sight; I next need to find an N1 CAR stock. (I'd prefer an original, but will buy the Brownell's clone if I have to.)
Old 10-20-2021, 04:01 AM

Nice.

I found a Colt 723 clone upper for my AR15 pistol. I'm not sure if I should find an Appropriate mount for an Aimpoint or get a clone of the old Colt Scope. I like the old school colt scopes but for the price an Aimpoint is slightly cheaper and easier to find.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Nice.

I found a Colt 723 clone upper for my AR15 pistol. I'm not sure if I should find an Appropriate mount for an Aimpoint or get a clone of the old Colt Scope. I like the old school colt scopes but for the price an Aimpoint is slightly cheaper and easier to find.
Where did you find your Colt 723 upper (what manufacturer)? If you want my advice: I'd go with one of those Colt scope clones that Brownell's is offering for now. You can get a good discount if you know where to look (people post the codes on Arfcom), whereas an old-school Aimpoint is probably gonna cost you no matter what, since they're out of production.

I debated doing a Colt 723 or 727 build (especially after seeing Larry Vickers' 723 SFOD-D clone), but ultimately decided instead to tackle a1990s/early-2000s movie M4 as my next clone project because Brownell's had a sale on the 14.5" Colt 6920 uppers. This will be my second movie gun clone, after my "Sicario" Daniel Defense M4A1.

Last edited by MT2008; 10-20-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Where did you find your Colt 723 upper (what manufacturer)? If you want my advice: I'd go with one of those Colt scope clones that Brownell's is offering for now. You can get a good discount if you know where to look (people post the codes on Arfcom), whereas an old-school Aimpoint is probably gonna cost you no matter what, since they're out of production.

I debated doing a Colt 723 or 727 build (especially after seeing Larry Vickers' 723 SFOD-D clone), but ultimately decided instead to tackle a1990s/early-2000s movie M4 as my next clone project because Brownell's had a sale on the 14.5" Colt 6920 uppers. This will be my second movie gun clone, after my "Sicario" Daniel Defense M4A1.
Correction it's a 733 upper. I'm not sure who made it. There are no manufacturers marking on it. Possibly a good thing as when I got it there was a CAR-15 flash hider rockset on it. I found that out after I cut said flash hider off. Thankfully the threads were fine. The receiver is 'A2 spec so it is sort of a frankenupper in any case. I bought it because I wanted a retro style upper to test out. So far the thing is Impressivly accurate for having 'A2 Irons. The only thing it chokes on is Russian steel cased 5.56 with some sort of nasty coating on it that clogs the chamber.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

In other news: I received my replica N1 CAR stock from Brownell's today. It turns out that it doesn't fit my DPMS lower. I didn't realize this, but DPMS buffer tubes are apparently commercial spec, not mil-spec. So, for now, I'm gonna have to wait on actually using the CAR stock until I can buy a Colt 6920 mil-spec everything lower (which is preferable, anyway), ideally with an "LE"-prefix serial number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Correction it's a 733 upper. I'm not sure who made it. There are no manufacturers marking on it. Possibly a good thing as when I got it there was a CAR-15 flash hider rockset on it. I found that out after I cut said flash hider off. Thankfully the threads were fine. The receiver is 'A2 spec so it is sort of a frankenupper in any case. I bought it because I wanted a retro style upper to test out. So far the thing is Impressivly accurate for having 'A2 Irons. The only thing it chokes on is Russian steel cased 5.56 with some sort of nasty coating on it that clogs the chamber.
Ah, that makes sense (hence your reference to doing a pistol build). Have you checked the receiver markings inside and out, or just outside?

What's the brand of your Russian ammo (I assume not Wolf)?
Old 10-23-2021, 01:54 AM

There is a "D99**2" Imprinted on the front sight, that's it. I have no idea who made it. It does shoot rather well once properly sighted in.

As for the Russian ammunition it looks like it's Tula. it's the stuff that comes in that white box of garbage.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Alright gents, this is pretty much the FINAL form of my Delta Carbine Black Hawk Down inspired rifle

https://youtu.be/5ri8GjgcBuY

Long story is this rifle USED to be a S&W M&P 15 SPORT. I just swap the upper with a fixed carry handle I got somewhere. The rail is actually meant for an AR-10, it even says so on the side. That's why it seems too long for the carry handle.

The stock is Brownell's

I didn't want to get an A1 grip because I plan to actually shoot this a lot and the older grips just don't have the angle I like

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 11-20-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:22 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Ok so now somebody to build Vietnam era rifle. My first m16a1 was made by hydramatic not colt. I have probably told everyone here that haven't I. Very neat..
Old 11-24-2021, 04:44 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Alright gents, this is pretty much the FINAL form of my Delta Carbine Black Hawk Down inspired rifle

https://youtu.be/5ri8GjgcBuY

Long story is this rifle USED to be a S&W M&P 15 SPORT. I just swap the upper with a fixed carry handle I got somewhere. The rail is actually meant for an AR-10, it even says so on the side. That's why it seems too long for the carry handle.

The stock is Brownell's

I didn't want to get an A1 grip because I plan to actually shoot this a lot and the older grips just don't have the angle I like
Really nice - although you didn't want to use the A1E1-style upper? You could have bought one from Brownell's, and it would have matched the receiver style of the Colt 723 carbines that Delta/CAG used during the late-1980s and early-1990s. Plus, I feel like it's gonna be annoying to shoot that gun without a brass deflector.

As for the grip: That's easily replaceable if you have a long enough screwdriver (I swap out pistol grips on my AR lowers all the time). If I were you, I'd buy an A1 or A2 grip for display, and then put on that Magpul grip only when you take the rifle to the range.