imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-26-2021, 05:25 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default S&w 5944dao

I like the S&W pistols. The old Gens 1-3 that is. I own a 4586, 4516-1 and a 4513. As of this evening I now own a 5944 as well. Smith only made this model from 1991 - 1992; back during that time that Smith was going through it's "Gun of the Month" phase The slide is blued carbon steel and the lower receiver is an aluminum alloy that has a dark blue finish (or something like that). It's a double action only ,like my 4586, and is chambered for 9mm. It was part of an auction and I was able to drive over to the auction company and check it out. It's in excellent shape both mechanically and cosmetically. I suspect, from the lack of wear patterns, that whoever bought it put it away in a safe and possibly never fired it. I won the bid at $495 which I am very pleased with considering how crazy the market is. Especially here in southwestern Idaho, where the stores are having a heck of time keeping up with the demand. Though relatively rare it doesn't seem to be in great demand and that's ok with me. I've always liked the blued steel autos and they aren't easy to find. A few photos from the auction.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

How's the DAO trigger pull?
Old 08-26-2021, 09:57 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Very smooth. About eleven pounds, but not at like the Glock New York trigger; which is terrible in my opinion. Smith engineered the DAO to copy the double action trigger of a revolver. For those older officers who had always carried a revolver and had issues with the traditional DA/SA triggers. When Idaho State Police switched to the 4586 in 91 I went to the range with my father to shoot his. Dad liked it, but I didn't care for it at the time. But dad had carried a revolver for approximately twenty years ,at that time, and knew how to shoot DA revolvers. I was 23 back then and most of my experience was with shooting the 1911 and the Beretta 92. In the past thirty years I've become a more experienced and proficient hand-gunner and I've come to appreciate that DAO trigger myself. Now my father's 4586 will have company.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:18 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

There now it's home in my safe keeping company with it's other 3rd Gen brethren.