imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-26-2020, 04:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I retire in 4.5 years. I don't plan in trading my Gen 4 GLOCK 19 for a Gen 5. Don't see a reason to do that. Hopefully my department will just let this grumpy old officer have his way.
Guess it depends on whether it means a lot to you to have a grip with no finger grooves and/or an ambi slide release. Does your department even have plans to make a purchase of Gen 5s any time soon? Where I live, I still see most officers carrying Gen 4 Glocks, even though the Gen 5s have been out for several years now. I feel like the Gen 5s have not sold nearly as well to local and state law enforcement as the Gen 3s and 4s, though I'm basing that conclusion on observation, not data.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:06 PM

It's hilarious how many times Glock has revised and improved "perfection," isn't it?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-14-2020, 08:12 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Guess it depends on whether it means a lot to you to have a grip with no finger grooves and/or an ambi slide release. Does your department even have plans to make a purchase of Gen 5s any time soon? Where I live, I still see most officers carrying Gen 4 Glocks, even though the Gen 5s have been out for several years now. I feel like the Gen 5s have not sold nearly as well to local and state law enforcement as the Gen 3s and 4s, though I'm basing that conclusion on observation, not data.
I switched the mag release to the right side of my pistol (since I shoot with my left) and I don't use the slide release lever (I use the overhand technique). I also prefer the finger grooves. They work for me. Since my last post I learned that my agency is switching over to the GLOCK Model 45 (9mm) and a few of our new officers are already carrying the G45.

The only detectives who are slated to get the G45 are the ones still carrying the various 45acp Glock models. Mostly the G36 and a couple are hauling around the G21! Those of us who carry the G19 will continue to carry it.

Eventually all the uniformed officers will carry the G45. A few detectives have asked if they can purchase the G45 and they have been told no; the G36 guys have to wait to be issued the G45. I don't think they would be able to get one right now even if the department said yes to private purchases.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
It's hilarious how many times Glock has revised and improved "perfection," isn't it?
I think a more accurate motto is "proven".

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-28-2020, 08:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I switched the mag release to the right side of my pistol (since I shoot with my left) and I don't use the slide release lever (I use the overhand technique). I also prefer the finger grooves. They work for me. Since my last post I learned that my agency is switching over to the GLOCK Model 45 (9mm) and a few of our new officers are already carrying the G45.
Yeah, I hear ya. Though I don't like using the slightshot reloading technique in most circumstances (even though there are Glock fanboys who insist that this is the way Glocks are meant to be reloaded, hence why Glock still hasn't standardized longer slide stops, i.e. slide releases).

Finger grooves, I'm kinda divided. I like how the straight frontstrap looks much better, but the grooves work fine for me, so I've never taken them off the Glocks I own that have them.

Quote:
The only detectives who are slated to get the G45 are the ones still carrying the various 45acp Glock models. Mostly the G36 and a couple are hauling around the G21! Those of us who carry the G19 will continue to carry it.

Eventually all the uniformed officers will carry the G45. A few detectives have asked if they can purchase the G45 and they have been told no; the G36 guys have to wait to be issued the G45. I don't think they would be able to get one right now even if the department said yes to private purchases.
G45 should be a good choice, but yeah, good luck to them trying to find one right now. (I considered buying one myself a few months back, and they were out of stock everywhere.)