imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-13-2021, 08:49 PM

Default An actual milsurp Glock 17

Picked this up recently - never had much use for a modern gun before but this one changed my mind. It’s a Dutch army surplus Glock 17 Gen 2 that was one of about 800 released by the Dutch government for commercial sale after they upgraded to Gen 4s back in 2017. Couldn’t pass up a pistol that could actually have been used in Afghanistan while I was there. Apparently it was something of a minor scandal in the Dutch parliament that these ended up on the commercial market. You can identify it as a Dutch contract gun by the NL prefix serial number on the slide, otherwise it’s a pretty standard Gen 2 gun.

upload pic
Old 11-15-2021, 07:07 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Picked this up recently - never had much use for a modern gun before but this one changed my mind. It’s a Dutch army surplus Glock 17 Gen 2 that was one of about 800 released by the Dutch government for commercial sale after they upgraded to Gen 4s back in 2017. Couldn’t pass up a pistol that could actually have been used in Afghanistan while I was there. Apparently it was something of a minor scandal in the Dutch parliament that these ended up on the commercial market. You can identify it as a Dutch contract gun by the NL prefix serial number on the slide, otherwise it’s a pretty standard Gen 2 gun.

upload pic
At the start of your post I was thinking "the Dutch military sold handguns as surplus? Wow" and then I reached the part of Dutch parliament and scandal. LOL. Europe can always be counted on to do the right....uh....left thing.

Looks like it's in fine shape. I'm now carrying the Glock Model 45 Gen 5 as my patrol pistol. I was able to purchase the Glock 19 Gen 4 that was issued to me NIB back in 2013. I'm not a Glock fanboy, but it's a good reliable pistol and I've always qualified with the various models.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:42 PM

I really see the appeal of Glocks as a military or police pistol - they’re light, simple and reliable. It wouldn’t be my first choice personally and it would certainly not be the only pistol I owned, but if you’re going to be giving out a bunch of them to people whose main job is not to use a weapon and who probably won’t get much training on it, it makes sense.

I got precisely zero training through the army on the Hi Power before being issued one, and afterwards just had a one of the infantry guys run me through TOETs on it, and I definitely wasn’t the only one. My unit had several NDs with pistols during my deployment and I’m not saying they wouldn’t have happened with Glocks but it might have helped.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I really see the appeal of Glocks as a military or police pistol - they’re light, simple and reliable. It wouldn’t be my first choice personally and it would certainly not be the only pistol I owned, but if you’re going to be giving out a bunch of them to people whose main job is not to use a weapon and who probably won’t get much training on it, it makes sense.

I got precisely zero training through the army on the Hi Power before being issued one, and afterwards just had a one of the infantry guys run me through TOETs on it, and I definitely wasn’t the only one. My unit had several NDs with pistols during my deployment and I’m not saying they wouldn’t have happened with Glocks but it might have helped.
My rifle coach was in the Navy in WWII, and he used to tell us the ceilings and floors at his base used to have holes in them from all the NDs from kids like him and the M1911.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:17 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

Back when I was a firearms instructor with my agency I found the Glock to be a very simple pistol to teach new officers how to use. Shooting, maintenance and so forth.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:36 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I feel like that's not fair to Glock. Nowadays, the tip of the spear are all carrying Glocks (albeit modified from the factory config with new sights, new triggers, etc.) - and often older Gen Glocks (typically the Gen 3s). In the U.S. military, all of the SOF units that used to use 1911s, SIGs, H&Ks, etc. are now carrying Glock 17s and 19s. So the Glock is as much an operator's weapon as it is a non-combat arms weapon.

Anyway: Good purchase. Oddly enough, my 1990-vintage Gen 2 Glock 17 is probably my favorite of the many handguns that I own. There's something I love about its simplicity and its feel that no other handgun in my collection can match.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I feel like that's not fair to Glock. Nowadays, the tip of the spear are all carrying Glocks (albeit modified from the factory config with new sights, new triggers, etc.) - and often older Gen Glocks (typically the Gen 3s). In the U.S. military, all of the SOF units that used to use 1911s, SIGs, H&Ks, etc. are now carrying Glock 17s and 19s. So the Glock is as much an operator's weapon as it is a non-combat arms weapon.
DEVGRU recently switched to the P320 X-5, but the vast majority do still use Glocks.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-27-2021, 12:19 PM

This reminds me that we had some NASA Security surplus Glock 17s come through work last year, but because they weren't allowed to be sold off as surplus like many items we handle, it was a giant headache trying to find someone to take them and unfortunately they ended up (via gov't regs) having to be torch cut last month. Our metal recycler did it in the middle of our yard and left all the pieces in a pile on the ground, which led to some "really, asshole?" (but more politely stated) emails.

Nice find, though, and in such good shape. I always liked the pre-rail Glocks best

http://www.introvertisland.com