imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 AM

So is anyone else disappointed with the fact that the "reborn" Toonami consists mostly of shows that have already been part of AS' lineup at one point or another? I like Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, and Ghost in the Shell as much as any anime fan, but where are the block's more iconic shows like Dragonball Z, Mobile Suit Gundam (and its offshoots), Trigun, and Outlaw Star?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 View Post
Lost World got stymied mostly by the protagonists being horrible people (essentially the real villains of the piece) and endangering the hunters, to the point of pulling the powder from the elephant gun's ammo just to stick it to him....and then he couldn't defend the camp from a rampaging T-Rex.
Yeah, though I can't really get behind a hunter who only bothers to carry the two rounds he can load into his rifle with no spares, and then doesn't check his weapon after leaving it unattended near a guy he knows wants to screw around with it. Everyone in that film is a complete moron at least once, Roland is just a moron the smallest number of times.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
and then doesn't check his weapon after leaving it unattended near a guy he knows wants to screw around with it.
That in particular always bugged me. Anyone, not just a hunter, whose life depended on his weapon wouldn't rightfully leave it out of hand.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I mean the other thing would be: is the Earth First guy psychic or something? How could he possibly have known that Roland only carried two rounds for his rifle?

It's kind of funny that entire rampage in the second half of the film was because of our "heroes" messing the InGen guys around, since their actual plan was only to get herbivores. Nevermind the whole mess of the T-Rex escaping, killing the crew (including some in spaces smaller than the Rex's head) and then helpfully climbing back into the hold so one guy could close it back up well in sight of where the T-Rex would have had to go to get there.

I mean, I've heard the excuse that raptors got on board, but since the raptors are being used to kill off people the T-Rex can't get to, how does the T-Rex kill the raptors that are in places it can't get to? And if it doesn't kill them where are they supposed to have gone?

Last edited by Evil Tim; 05-08-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

I would sat up on Saturday night, or not go out to the bar if Toonami would show the Robotech series again.

In the book, I feel it germane to note, Muldoon was a drunk, but a functioning one, who took out a Raptor or two(I think) with some sort of grenade launcher.

The movies pretty much blow in regards to any sort of firearms. Jeff Cooper even said so.

If I'm the game warden for a place with dinosaurs, I'm going to carry me a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag, and a Grizzly LAR in .45 Wing Mag.

And some sort of semi-automatic, preferably shooting .308 solids, in my Jeep for Raptors and such.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
I would sat up on Saturday night, or not go out to the bar if Toonami would show the Robotech series again.

In the book, I feel it germane to note, Muldoon was a drunk, but a functioning one, who took out a Raptor or two(I think) with some sort of grenade launcher.

The movies pretty much blow in regards to any sort of firearms. Jeff Cooper even said so.

If I'm the game warden for a place with dinosaurs, I'm going to carry me a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag, and a Grizzly LAR in .45 Wing Mag.

And some sort of semi-automatic, preferably shooting .308 solids, in my Jeep for Raptors and such.
Alas, Netflix just took Robotech off of Instant View. I watched a few episodes, and it just doesn't hold up that well. I also watched a few episodes of the remastered Macross series, and while the animation is the same, I think the original score is better than the Robotech score.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Ah, well then perhaps it is best I remember it through the tinted lenses of nostalgia.

Found some old Johnny Quest tapes I had...suprisingly, the 1960s version has aged well.

The newer stuff....not so much.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Ah, well then perhaps it is best I remember it through the tinted lenses of nostalgia.

Found some old Johnny Quest tapes I had...suprisingly, the 1960s version has aged well.

I don't know if I could watch Johnny Quest after watching Venture Brothers. (BTW, I'd do a Venture Brothers page in a heartbeat if it were eligible.)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM

You know it's funny, watched Venture Brothers a little bit when it first came on, loved it, probably, because I was such an ardent Johnny Quest fan growing up.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
It always cracked me up where he's running away from an A-10 in the intro to the newer series and it's somehow landing shots either side of him.