imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 AM

Get the guns to the range yet? Especially interested in the smith, they're 1911s seem to fly under the radar with less marketing and hye, but every review ive seen was positive. The lasergrip pd commander looks like a sweet carry deal.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Get the guns to the range yet? Especially interested in the smith, they're 1911s seem to fly under the radar with less marketing and hye, but every review ive seen was positive. The lasergrip pd commander looks like a sweet carry deal.
No not yet. It was wet and humid here the last few days. Now its cold as hell. I got to work during the week sometimes too. I ordered some mags for the AR that should be here Mon., want to try them out. Got plenty for my 1911s.

Yes from what I've read Smith makes good 1911s (everything they make is generally good). Both safeties on my Smith I don't like. The thumb safety isn't "clean" when I engage it. Instead of one solid click like my Springfield, it has two small clicks. Disengage is fine. The grip safety doesn't have much room before it stops, but it's quite heavy and I find that I have to give it an extra squeeze to make sure it's fully pressed even with the speed bump.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 AM

Is the safety a large tactical type or a small milspec type? I like big controls. trigger nice?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Is the safety a large tactical type or a small milspec type? I like big controls. trigger nice?
It's extended, but fairly thin in profile. I think because of the shape of the safety it has to have two clicks before it's clear of the plunger tube. Trigger is nice and clean. I swapped the grips with the ones that were on my Springfield
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

Finally got to shoot both the AR and the S&W. The Springer Mil-Spec too. All ran flawless. Put 130 rounds through the AR, 30 rd Pmag, AR-Stoner, and a Cproducts, plus a 40rd AR Stoner. I wasn't used to the irons on it, so I used the red-dot mostly.

Around 40 through the S&W. I shot it first, so I wouldn't be objective because of the lighter weight compared to my other 1911's. 50 through the Mil-Spec, as a result of shooting the S&W first I would shoot it low to the right (tightening grip while squeezing trigger). Of course I shot the best with the Springer Loaded about 50 through it also. Had a failure to eject because of a reload, case split.

After shooting all of the those I shot my Beretta because I haven't took it out in while. After shooting the 9mm it will make you respect the .45 more.