imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-20-2010, 09:03 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionatan View Post
Also, as a rule, all films must have a Beretta 92-series pistol. This doesn't even apply to just the action, adventure, or war genres anymore. ALL films MUST feature one of these.
I realize your post is partially tongue-in-cheek, but quick FYI: It's not so much a "rule" as a matter of practicality. If you ask any of the movie armorers on here (there are several of them who are IMFDB members), they'll tell you that the Beretta 92F is common in movies because it has a reputation for being extremely reliable with blank ammunition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
That's why Sauron was defeated. Not because Frodo dropped the ring into Mt. Doom, but his army was packing craptacular pistols.
Out of curiosity, have you ever handled/fired a Beretta, or are you just echoing Smithy? I still think he's full of crap, and I personally used to own one of those "craptacular" pistols.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-20-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you ever handled/fired a Beretta, or are you just echoing Smithy? I still think he's full of crap, and I personally used to own one of those "craptacular" pistols.
They're good enough for the Los Angeles Police Department AND the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 PM

The beretta is an ergonomic nightmare for me.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

It's not my absolute favorite, but I like the Beretta despite some design flaws.I especially like those big,very visible sights.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
They're good enough for the Los Angeles Police Department AND the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Not to mention the United States Army and Marine Corps.

-However the LAPD has actually switched to the Glock 22
Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 AM

The LAPD approves several guns, Beretta 92 series guns being some of them.

More importantly though, ergonomics relative to other designs that aren't necessarily "bad," or a few isolated cases of failure which may be the result of poor maintenance, ammunition or magazines rather than the gun design itself, does not mean the gun suffers from "design flaw" at least not by those reasons. Is a SIG decocker better than the slide mounted setup on the Beretta? Perhaps. Does it make the Beretta's decocking system crap? No. It's arguably not as good, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Frankly I've got no problem decocking my Beretta with one hand, though I'll concede the SIG system is better. Appropriate grip size is also relative, so if you don't like it, that's fine, but again, that doesn't mean the gun is ergonomically poor, it just means other guns are ergonomically superior.

As far as reliability goes, EVERYTHING has the potential to fail, regardless of design. I've seen Berettas fail, I've seen 1911s fail, I've seen AKs fail. It doesn't mean the design is poor (if there are only a few cases that is), but there's something wrong with that particular device or another variable, and most assuredly, for that gun, there are thousands upon thousands more that work just fine.

Berettas are not craptacular pistols, they are good guns with a legacy, and are worthy of our respect, even if their usability is slightly overshadowed by other technology out there. Look at the magazine as half full and not half empty, and don't call something "bad" because something else is more "good". One can be "good" and the other "better" but in that case, the former is not even close to "bad".

Last edited by Yournamehere; 11-21-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:48 AM

A. Beretta grip is large and unconfortable.
B. Slide mounted safety can accidentally turn on when racking slide (yeah, some of us do that over using slide release.)
C. Bigger than a 9mm should be.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 AM

A. That is circumstatial to you, and possibly others, but doesn't reflect the gun as a whole, with everyone, and certainly not a majority of people.
B. Same as A2, but I'll add that I slingshot as well and I have never activated a slide mounted safety in practice or even come close to doing so on my Beretta or my S&W 5906.
C. It is in fact bigger than most other 9mms, but that is based in relativity and isn't necessarily a flaw, and most certainly not a flaw in the design.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:18 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've handled a Beretta and I've never accidentally flicked the slide when racking it. Unless the safety switch has been worn out from overuse, I don't see you accidentally flicking it. Maybe if you are in combat and you decided to rack the slide instead of pressing the convenient safety release. And flicking the safety on and off should come second nature to someone that's had enough practice with the gun.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-21-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I realize your post is partially tongue-in-cheek, but quick FYI: It's not so much a "rule" as a matter of practicality. If you ask any of the movie armorers on here (there are several of them who are IMFDB members), they'll tell you that the Beretta 92F is common in movies because it has a reputation for being extremely reliable with blank ammunition.
Of that I've no doubt. You're right; my post was meant to be quite tongue-in-cheek. I wasn't trying to bash the 92. I've never fired one, but I know their ubiquity has a reason. Still, it would be nice to not have every film featuring firearms constantly use 92s, Glocks, or Sigs. They're all fine weapons (though I dislike the latter), but I'd personally like to see a main character use something like a Steyr M1A or some other firearm that never gets the spotlight.