imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 PM

The cheaper AR500 steel plates are affordable, but they only perform to Level III specs. They won't stop M193 out of a 20 inch barrel at close range, which would be a very common threat in SHTF, a mass shooting or a well armed home invasion. They are also substantially heavier than ceramic/composite plates that will stop more threats. They may be inexpensive, but they are a poor choice for certain intended uses, and, in my mind, the use they are intended for by the factory (overt SHTF armor). The only offerings worth buying are the Level III+ Lightweight plates, but they cost a lot more than the entry level plates, almost as much as Level IV standalones at other places. Not to mention their backlog is ridiculous. The only thing that lower end AR500 and steel armor in general has going for it is that it's sort of inexpensive, slim, readily available (sort of), and durable as all hell. The problem, however, is that it's bad body armor.

I was and still am considering getting AR500 Level III+ lightweight armor, but their wait time is not going down anytime soon. I believe Spartan Armor Systems Armaply, which has the same protection capabilities, is in stock all the time and about the same price if not cheaper. So, if you have to go steel, consider that. Personally, though, if I were to get plates, I think I'm probably just gonna shell out money for Level IV Ceramics at SKD or AT Armor and take care of them.

"But I only want concealable armor that will stop pistol threats" you may say. That's cool. Get soft armor. It will be a lot lighter and more comfortable and probably about the same price. Even if it's more, it will be worth it not to have to lug around steel or even bulkier ceramics.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I've also been looking at body armor. I hear AR500 has good prices
The big problems with AR500 is that compared to ceramic plates it is much heavier, and it also only has a single curve so tends to not fit to your body as well as more expensive plates. For home defence or as a SHTF carrier in your car though neither of these really matter that much, as your aren't wearing it for 12 hours at a time trudging across a desert (I assume). I think they also only make them in NIJ Level III+, but unless you are expecting to go up against someone using armour piercing .30-06 rounds, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Edit: Yournamehere beat me to it.

Last edited by commando552; 06-21-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm fine with options. If there are better choices, I don't mind dishing out my hard earn cash for the comfort of having armor that will stop most threats.

I've been building a sort of emergency bag of first aid and other things I can grab in a hurry.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-22-2016, 03:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think right now, I'm working on my bug out bag. Looking for different types of backpacks that's tough in all weather. It needs the basic essential stuff like first-aid, survival gear, extra clothes, gun stuff (ammo, parts, tools). I need to invest in a good pair of boots as well.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 09-12-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with options. If there are better choices, I don't mind dishing out my hard earn cash for the comfort of having armor that will stop most threats.

I've been building a sort of emergency bag of first aid and other things I can grab in a hurry.
For home defense I would recommend just checking ebay for a used army interceptor vest. I got one from them and only paid around $120.00 for it and the level 3A soft armor inserts it came with.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

Do you have other things attached to it like mag pouches?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Do you have other things attached to it like mag pouches?
3 double mag pouches and an ifak.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 PM

Interceptor body armor and SBRs? Won't anyone think of the tourists?

Obviously, this is sarcasm because I have no qualms about private ownership of either.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-14-2016, 02:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Who goes on vacation to Maine other than Stephen King?