imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-01-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I've read stories of home invasions and encounters on the street where there are more than one attacker, sometimes up to 4. A revolver can only do so much in those situation and just because you shoot one guy down doesn't always make the others run away scared.
Yeah, this is exactly why I keep my SKS-M with a 30-rounder ready to go

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I have a Remington 870 and a fire axe ready for that. But I can't really hide either down my pants for carry.
Tell anyone who asks that you're just really happy to see them?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-01-2014, 03:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yeah, to be fair, if there's a home invasion happening, I'd grab my rifle as well but that's a different situation. What about if you attacked by a gang? I've read about it happening.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Yeah, this is exactly why I keep my SKS-M with a 30-rounder ready to go
I saw the picture of your SKS earlier. Is the detachable magazine mod permanent? I thought about doing that to my SKS, but that'd make it illegal to own in NJ, and I'd like keep the option of moving back one day.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
I've read stories of home invasions and encounters on the street where there are more than one attacker, sometimes up to 4. A revolver can only do so much in those situation and just because you shoot one guy down doesn't always make the others run away scared.
Everyone will agree that more rounds is better against multiple assailants. That's obvious. When I made my comments, I didn't bother naming all the areas in which semi-autos are better, because they are better for most niches, and the reasons why they are better are obvious and well known. It's far easier to comment on the niches where revolvers are better, since there are fewer of them, and they are not widely discussed.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I saw the picture of your SKS earlier. Is the detachable magazine mod permanent? I thought about doing that to my SKS, but that'd make it illegal to own in NJ, and I'd like keep the option of moving back one day.
Mod? It came straight from Norinco with the ability to take AK mags

I'm like the least likely person ever to mod my guns

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 04-02-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:44 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Mod? It came straight from Norinco with the ability to take AK mags

I'm like the least likely person ever to mod my guns
Oh, I didn't know such a thing existed.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yeah, Norinco SKSs have that ability. I remember wanting to buy a Paratrooper variant that can take AK mags.

Anyway, off topic.

Revolvers can mess up if abused. The timing can be thrown off, has problems when dropped in lots of dirt or sand. Anything that hinders the rotation of the cylinder of a revolver will cause it to stop working. Anything that keeps the cylinder from locking up at the right place (timing) can affect its ability to fire. Something as simple as lint from a pocket or purse can stop a revolver from working. It does not take sand to stop a revolver.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Revolvers can mess up if abused. The timing can be thrown off, has problems when dropped in lots of dirt or sand. Anything that hinders the rotation of the cylinder of a revolver will cause it to stop working. Anything that keeps the cylinder from locking up at the right place (timing) can affect its ability to fire. Something as simple as lint from a pocket or purse can stop a revolver from working. It does not take sand to stop a revolver.
If you're willing to carry, I'm assuming you're willing to take the time to properly maintain your firearms as well, although I believe timing is something only a qualified gunsmith can fix.

As for pocket carry, I'm pretty sure you should always have a pocket holster, and as a lady friend tells me, ladies should never carry in their purse, since it's something they can toss to deter an attacker. (I don't think guys realize how lucky we have it when it comes to carry options.)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Norinco SKSs have that ability. I remember wanting to buy a Paratrooper variant that can take AK mags.

Anyway, off topic.

Semi-autos can mess up if abused. The slide timing can be thrown off, has problems when dropped in lots of dirt or sand. Anything that hinders the cycling of the slide of a semi-auto will cause it to stop working. Anything that keeps the slide from returning to battery (lockup) can affect its ability to fire. Something as simple as lint from a pocket or purse can stop slide from cycling/locking. It does not take sand to stop a semi-auto.