imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-24-2017, 10:55 PM

Default Category suggestion

Since it's a specific type of firearm, how about a Repeating Rifle category?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 06-27-2017, 01:13 AM

Are you sure "repeating rifle" won't be too broad a category, like "Carbine" is? I thought "repeater" meant any firearm that wasn't single shot.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 AM

Thinking about it, I think it would be better named Lever Action. That way, the Volcanic pistol and Winchester 1887 would qualify.

I've never heard repeater used to describe anything except lever action rifles.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:59 AM

I don't know how much stock the experts here put in wikipedia, but the definition of repeater over there essentially says "any non-single-shot firearm that can fire more than one shot out of a single barrel and readies the gun for the next shot after firing." Wikipedia also goes on to include everything from lever-action to bolt-action to pump-action to gas operation, et. al., under the term "repeater."

So extrapolating from this definition, pepperbox pistols and nock/volley guns probably wouldn't count as repeating firearms (because you're just discharging multiple single-shot barrels), but not much else outside of the pre-modern age of firearms can be said to not be a repeater. That's why I'm unsure of including a repeater category since according to what I know it's too broad, like the "carbine" category.

Last edited by Mazryonh; 06-30-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 AM

That's why I instead suggested lever action instead. I'm surprised we don't have a bolt action category, too.

But, in all honesty, I've never heard or read anything except lever action rifles like the Winchester 1894 referred to as "repeaters", so that's news to me.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
That's why I instead suggested lever action instead. I'm surprised we don't have a bolt action category, too.

But, in all honesty, I've never heard or read anything except lever action rifles like the Winchester 1894 referred to as "repeaters", so that's news to me.
I remember some of the mods saying that the users were "overcategorizing" the wiki. But I don't mind new categories for the various methods of manual operation that firearms can use. It depends on how much you believe the definition from wikipedia should be used for "repeater." And since multi-shot firearms were so new at the time lever-actions were first introduced, I think that's why the term "repeater" became synonymous with lever-action long guns back then.

I'll just leave my rationale for why the Carbine category should be removed at this link here.