imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 AM

The Desert Eagle's an ok gun, but it's overused in movies! If you've seen "Natural Born Killers", Tom Sizemore is carry a big, flashy, stainless Desert Eagle IN A HIP HOLSTER! If you're senseable, you'd carry it in a shoulder holster. And another thing, they've made a gold plated version. Only dumbass pimps, wannabe gangsters ( I'm not degrading myself to an idiot rapper by saying "gangsta"), and the rich would arry them in that configuration. The stianless ones are pretty, though. Anyway (enough ranting here), It's nice. In my story, the character of Ares carries a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle Mk XlX with stainless frame and a blued slide and barrel. I've choosen this style of finish because it is beautiful and threating at the same time.

Last edited by Swordfish941; 12-31-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
The Desert Eagle's an ok gun, but it's overused in movies! If you've seen "Natural Born Killers", Tom Sizemore is carry a big, flashy, stainless Desert Eagle IN A HIP HOLSTER! If you're senseable, you'd carry it in a shoulder holster. And another thing, they've made a gold plated version. Only dumbass pimps, wannabe gangsters ( I'm not degrading myself to an idiot rapper by saying "gangsta"), and the rich. The stianless ones are pretty, though. Anyway (enough ranting there), It's nice. In my story, the character of Ares carries a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle Mk XlX with stainless frame and a blued slide and barrel. I've choosen this style of finish because it is beautiful and threating at the same time.
A shoulder holster holding a piece that heavy starts to hurt your back because the harness pulls on your neck, so a hip holster isn't an awful idea. I think he had a cross draw, which is the best idea for when you're sitting and need to still draw it now and then.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I got one. In the XXX: State of the Union, at the very end during the train scene, the main character Ice Cube plays, enters the train by firing his M203 and creating a hole. It was attached to his XM8, but somehow he separated it and had it as a stand alone. So instead of using his XM8, which we can assume still had ammo, he walked around the train with just the M203. In a close quarters environment like that, I dont think it's a good idea. It was even stupid when half way through the train sequence, we discovered, he needed to reload his M203. So he was basically pointing an empty gun around.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM

No, that 203 would have been nothing more than a glorified baton launcher. He did empty out the XM8 on the train when he blew out the rear windshield before blowing it open with the launcher.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm just annoyed that this main character, who's supposed to be a former SEAL, doesn't have any sidearm or backup

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Because they cause too much drag for real operators...?

(Sorry, HK joke gone wrong... )

Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
No, that 203 would have been nothing more than a glorified baton launcher. He did empty out the XM8 on the train when he blew out the rear windshield before blowing it open with the launcher.
More than that. We had an American soldier in our AO get an ND with an M203 yesterday. Round didn't detonate, but he still had to be medevaced for shrapnel to his leg.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM

It still fragmented? Crap... I hope he's all right.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Well, wondering what you think are the stupidest guns to use in a movie. Weve all seen cops with Desert Eagles and 1911s in ankle holsters. Yesterday I saw Terminator and they all carry 5.56mm carbines, when a .308AP round would be way more effective.

5.56mm in Terminator Salvation.

I think it is dumb to be carrying that caliber against heavy armor. Case in point when the legless terminator goes after Connor he used an M60 firing 7.62 to put it down.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 PM
IMFDB Admin

The thing about Terminator, it's never clear what the armor of the T-800 series and previous models are made of. In Salvation, regular rifle bullets seem to do the trick. Several 5.56 at point blank to the face of a T-600 seem to finish it off. Though handguns dont do shit.

In The Sarah Connor Chronicles, one characters used an M82 with a special round and it only managed to piss off the T-800.