imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The failed state of California
Posts: 2,158
Default Arrowverse expansion

So, for anyone that doesn't know, this year's crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths, will be retroactively canonizing a few past DC shows and movies, including the CW's Smallville, Birds of Prey (Tom Welling and Ashley Scott will be reprising their roles as Clark Kent and Helena Kyle from those shows in the crossover), and Black Lightning, Batman '89 (Jack Napier was stated to be The Joker's real name on an episode of Batwoman and Robert Wuhl, who played Alexander Knox, was reportedly seen on set filming with a newspaper depicting Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne and the headline "Billionaire Bruce Wayne to Marry Socialite Selina Kyle" on the front page), and presumably Batman Returns by extension of the latter. Also, the 1990s Flash series was already retroactively canonized into the Arrowverse a few years ago.

So my question is, how should I go about modifying the Arrowverse template to reflect this extended canon? Should I add a section called "Retroactive Canon", "Extended Canon", or something like that, and list Smallville, Batman '89, and Batman Returns (Birds of Prey doesn't have a page here), or should I just leave the template to encompass only Arrow and the shows created in its wake? In the case of the former, I would only link to the main disambiguation page for Smallville rather than each individual season, mind you.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead

Last edited by Spartan198; 11-19-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-20-2019, 07:11 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
So, for anyone that doesn't know, this year's crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths, will be retroactively canonizing a few past DC shows and movies, including the CW's Smallville, Birds of Prey (Tom Welling and Ashley Scott will be reprising their roles as Clark Kent and Helena Kyle from those shows in the crossover), and Black Lightning, Batman '89 (Jack Napier was stated to be The Joker's real name on an episode of Batwoman and Robert Wuhl, who played Alexander Knox, was reportedly seen on set filming with a newspaper depicting Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne and the headline "Billionaire Bruce Wayne to Marry Socialite Selina Kyle" on the front page), and presumably Batman Returns by extension of the latter. Also, the 1990s Flash series was already retroactively canonized into the Arrowverse a few years ago.

So my question is, how should I go about modifying the Arrowverse template to reflect this extended canon? Should I add a section called "Retroactive Canon", "Extended Canon", or something like that, and list Smallville, Batman '89, and Batman Returns (Birds of Prey doesn't have a page here), or should I just leave the template to encompass only Arrow and the shows created in its wake? In the case of the former, I would only link to the main disambiguation page for Smallville rather than each individual season, mind you.
I think we should leave it be. This is DC multiverse, and in theory, they can put every movie and series they ever had in canon if they wanted to.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The failed state of California
Posts: 2,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I think we should leave it be. This is DC multiverse, and in theory, they can put every movie and series they ever had in canon if they wanted to.
Yeah, I think you're right. I just finished Crisis Part II and so far they've canonized on-screen Batman '89 (albeit with the alteration that Joker didn't die at the end), Titans and by extension its own shared universe on the DC streaming service, Batman '66, Smallville, Superman Returns (Brandon Routh reprised his role, which was merged with the Kingdom Come version of Supes), and probably some others I may not have recognized. It was hinted on the aftershow that Batman & Robin was included as Earth-97 too, which would mean Returns and Forever are included. And we still have Ashley Scott's Huntress from Birds of Prey yet to appear. So at this point, it's safe to say that just about every DC movie and TV show past and present is on some alternate earth out there.

Except for maybe the DC Animated Universe, at least. And not because it's animated, since the Arrowverse has at least two animated series in Vixen and Freedom Fighters: The Ray. The version of Bruce Wayne that Kevin Conroy portrayed was decidedly not the one he voiced throughout the DCAU. It actually makes me kind of sad since this has been the quintessential Batman for me ever since I first watched BTAS.

I've already added Black Lightning to the template since it's a CW show and I might consider adding Smallville under a "See Also" section since it aired on basically the same network (unless someone here above me in the heirarchy explicitly says no), but aside from those and any new CW shows that come in the future, I'll leave it be because it could potentially become bigger than the shows' actual pages.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2019, 05:36 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Yeah, I think you're right. I just finished Crisis Part II and so far they've canonized on-screen Batman '89 (albeit with the alteration that Joker didn't die at the end), Titans and by extension its own shared universe on the DC streaming service, Batman '66, Smallville, Superman Returns (Brandon Routh reprised his role, which was merged with the Kingdom Come version of Supes), and probably some others I may not have recognized. It was hinted on the aftershow that Batman & Robin was included as Earth-97 too, which would mean Returns and Forever are included. And we still have Ashley Scott's Huntress from Birds of Prey yet to appear. So at this point, it's safe to say that just about every DC movie and TV show past and present is on some alternate earth out there.

Except for maybe the DC Animated Universe, at least. And not because it's animated, since the Arrowverse has at least two animated series in Vixen and Freedom Fighters: The Ray. The version of Bruce Wayne that Kevin Conroy portrayed was decidedly not the one he voiced throughout the DCAU. It actually makes me kind of sad since this has been the quintessential Batman for me ever since I first watched BTAS.

I've already added Black Lightning to the template since it's a CW show and I might consider adding Smallville under a "See Also" section since it aired on basically the same network (unless someone here above me in the heirarchy explicitly says no), but aside from those and any new CW shows that come in the future, I'll leave it be because it could potentially become bigger than the shows' actual pages.
Don't forget that Superman Returns was a direct sequel to the two Richard Donner Superman films.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The failed state of California
Posts: 2,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Don't forget that Superman Returns was a direct sequel to the two Richard Donner Superman films.
A commentator on YouTube also reminded me that the Green Hornet series is also linked due to its crossover episodes with Batman '66, and Tom Ellis reprised his role as Lucifer Morningstar from the Fox/Netflix show Lucifer in a cameo on Part 3.

And I'm only 12 minutes into Part 3, so who knows who else will show up. I just wish Adam West had lived long enough to be part of it.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.