imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 AM

Default One gun --a treastie

A Fraternity Brother just opined to me that if he were tasked with surviving wit just one gun, it would be his 870 and his multitude of extra barrels. His reasoning was rather solid. The 870, with appropiate barrel and ammo, can do just about everything.

However, my rebuttal to him was that I would want a plain jane M-16A2 because I could do every thing without having to change barrels.

Thoughts?
Couldn't find a thread for it here.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I suppose it depended up what you wanted to do with your one gun. You can shoot trap or go fowling with an 870, and it'd be better for home defense (IMHO.) 870's are also legal everywhere in the US, you wouldn't be able to move to certain areas with an AR.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It really depends but for me since I live in the US, an AR-15 is a nice gun to have. I live in a state with no assault rifle bans other than NFA laws if I want full auto and suppressors.

But for the end of the world gun, I would want an AK that fires 5.56 since that type of ammo is easier to get on this side of the pond. The AK platform can run with low maintenance, not saying the AR can't but the AK is more rugged when it comes to by yourself and eventually you'll run out of lube and gun cleaning supplies.

For a combat rifle for when the shit hits the fan, nothing compares to a good AR-15 that's been personalized for you. I would like mine with a 14.5 in barrel with a muzzle device pinned and weld because that length of barrel is more than for home defense and urban combat.

A shotgun for me is specialized. People think it's just point and shoot but there's a lot more too it and it has significantly less ammo and requires a lot more training to load efficiently and even shoot effectively.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

There are those who say that a rifle in .22 LR is the ideal survival firearm. You can kill small game with it, it can be effective against people within limits,easy to shoot, it's accurate and many of the guns are light and dependable. Aslo you can have a fair amount of ammo on your person and not be weighted down like say a couple hundred .22 rounds vs 200 .30-06 rounds.

My feeling is whatever gun you have with you in a survival situation (we'll assume you have ammo as well) is better than nothing at all. But I've never been in The Grey so I don't know.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The best way to deal with an end of the world scenario is to make sure the one gun you have is mounted on a battleship.