imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 AM

Default Carry recommendations/advice.

Since I'm able to carry this fall I thought I'd ask you fine folks if you had any recommendations or info for me. Things people might not realize or think of when deciding on a carry gun or about the practice of carrying in general.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Glock 19, buy a good IWB holster, spare mag holster and a bunch of mags. Don't forget good hollow points like Speer Gold Dots

Do NOT buy an XD or XDM. In fact, stay away from anything Springfield. I've seen the XD line break down more often in classes. They're nice to hold. I day say feel better than Glocks, but they kinda suck.

Don't be a noob and buy a .40 cal. It's overrated.

Don't buy a 1911 for carry, even if it's a pricey one. You'd need to be more experienced to really know a 1911 before you start carrying one.

Don't be cheap with the things that support your carry gun, like the holster. Don't buy a cheapo one. Do not use a leather holster or even those comfortable hybrid ones. Makes sure whatever holster you decide on, the trigger guard is completely covered.

Don't carry small of back. That's a stupid place for if you fall on your back, you'll land straight onto it and it'll potential hurt your spine.

Have a spare mag holster. At least carry 1 spare mag, NOT because you're expecting to shoot that much in a fight, but for if the mag in your gun craps out, which can happen for whatever reasons or the ammo is bad.

Whatever defense ammo you decide to use, Hornady, Speer, Federal, shoot it out of your gun. I'd recommend at least a box through the gun to see if it feeds well. Glocks aren't ammo specific, that's why I recommend it but the first time I got one, I shot several boxes to see which works and if they all work, I pick the "best" flavor and stuck with it. Also rotate your ammo at the very least once a year. I do it when the seasons change from hot to cold because I'm superstitious like that

If you believe you can carry a full size gun, more power to you but don't buy the SMALLEST gun because you're afraid of printing. I carry my G19 in an Inside the Waistband holster and I just throw on a T-shirt.

Before you step outside and carry for the first time, make sure your belt is tight enough and not too loose because it'll sag. Also get a good tough belt, none of that cheap Walmart $20 belt.

I don't recommend appendix carry for first timers because you haven't had enough training or experience. It's more forgiving to accidentally shoot off the side of your leg or your ass than your dick off.

Also, get training. Don't just take the basic course. Actually don't take any NRA certified courses because they sometimes use outdated techniques. Look for classes with good credentials and practice every chance you get. Practice dry firing and draws. It's actually become my routine if I'm not in a hurry to practice my draw strokes.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 07-22-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:45 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Mr. Excalibur makes good points. However we do differ on one point. I carry a leather holster. I prefer leather and I don't carry cheap leather. It might be an age thing. I'm fifty-two and grew up with leather holsters. The synthetics have their advantages so go with what you prefer. Just go with quality.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:00 PM

Thanks fellas I appreciate the feedback
Old 07-24-2020, 12:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Mr. Excalibur makes good points. However we do differ on one point. I carry a leather holster. I prefer leather and I don't carry cheap leather. It might be an age thing. I'm fifty-two and grew up with leather holsters. The synthetics have their advantages so go with what you prefer. Just go with quality.
You carry what you want as long as it's from a knowledge standpoint. I'm 34, not a "young man" but a young man to you. I've gone through some intense training courses and none of the advise on leather holster. You do what makes you comfortable, it's just your preference with what you know.

With respects to Jcordell and his preference, he most likely knows his holster and choices. For a new shooter, don't go leather holster unless you know exactly what. I'm not saying you can't fuck up a kydex holster, but you can. I recommend the brand names like Raven Concealment, Bravo Concealment. Even T-Rex Arms. They are not "cheap" and the turn around could take time for a custom picked one because they are in high demand.

There's an instructor, Clint Smith. He preaches don't pick a gun just because it "feels good on you". Pick a gun that is known to be reliable, hence the Glock 19. It isn't the prettiest handgun but it works. It's just small enough to conceal for most people and can still be pressed into other roles like home defense. Never use a tiny carry gun as a home defense gun if you have the choice. If you have to buy a small gun to carry, buy another gun for home defense.

Oh, I almost forgot, don't forget a light

Flashights are vital for everyday carry (EDC). If you are attacked, most of the time, it'll be in the dark. You need a way to properly ID who or what you are shooting at. If you decided to get a gun that can fit a weapon light on it, I still suggest carrying a hand light. Surefire or Streamlight are the best

Also these days, not enough people know first aid. I suggest taking a basic first aids class and packing a kit in your car. Not just bandages, but a trauma kit that can stop bleeding. Some people are already carrying small kits on their bodies for if they get hurt and can render first aid on themselves while they wait for the cops and an ambulance. Knowing how to treat your injuries is just as important as knowing how to use your gun.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Last edited by Excalibur; 07-24-2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
There's an instructor, Clint Smith. He preaches don't pick a gun just because it "feels good on you". Pick a gun that is known to be reliable, hence the Glock 19. It isn't the prettiest handgun but it works. It's just small enough to conceal for most people and can still be pressed into other roles like home defense.
Yep. The Glock 19 is both my on-duty and off-duty handgun. I carry the Glock 17 magazine for my reload, but the 19 does just fine. It is the only Glock pistol in my inventory. I'll never be accused of being a "Glock fan-boy" (Colt DA revolvers are my fave), but the 19 is a very good pistol.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Yep. The Glock 19 is both my on-duty and off-duty handgun. I carry the Glock 17 magazine for my reload, but the 19 does just fine. It is the only Glock pistol in my inventory. I'll never be accused of being a "Glock fan-boy" (Colt DA revolvers are my fave), but the 19 is a very good pistol.
I own 2 Glocks. I usually carry the G19 but I sometimes carry the much smaller G43. Spares are always the larger mags. My G19 spare is the 17 mag with extensions.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:28 PM

As someone that carries revolvers a lot, don't get one as a first carry gun. Biggest tip I can give is to be picky about your belt, it matters more than you'd think; that being said don't think you absolutely must get a stiff, stout, thick leather, steel core belt or anything crazy. I've had a lot of good experiences with hole-less friction-lock belts like the Grip6 stuff (even the slim one will hold up an FNX-45 + 2 mags, or a 5" 686 with speedloaders). I think a lot of new people, since micro 9s and .380s have come about, go too small and end up with a really jumpy, finicky, gun with tiny sights and controls. Definitely don't be afraid to try out something Glock 19 (or in between 19 and 26) sized guns, they're easier to carry than you'd think if you get a good kydex holster. If you don't need it, I'd also say avoid a tuckable holster (J-clips also suck), since some have a propensity to have the clip bend open, so that when you draw you pull out the holster too

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-05-2020, 11:00 PM

Desert Eagle with a 10" barrel, 10x scope, and 14-round extended mag or bust. If you're gonna carry, do it right.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-05-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Actually don't take any NRA certified courses because they sometimes use outdated techniques.
Outdated? How so? (genuine question)