imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-07-2017, 02:21 AM

Exclamation Gun-related videos and channels take a serious hit on youtube

In the middle of the advertising boycott on youtube, it seems that the Google-owned website has chosen to jettison gun-related content as "advertiser-unfriendly."

A wide variety of gun-related content producers on youtube, even the channel made for the Firearm Blog website, have all had their entire video library classified as "restricted" and thus demonetized entirely.

Could this be the start of a trend? Could this wiki be next? What's going on here?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I am surprised this hasn't happened sooner, but damn, that's a LOT of channels that's lost money over this, big and small. It's the small ones that are more in trouble because those guys do this full time and don't have actual jobs to support them.

This is life ending for a lot of small timers.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-11-2017, 04:59 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

So far the videos that I have viewed and enjoy are still on youtube. Especially Hickock 45. Crossing my fingers.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
So far the videos that I have viewed and enjoy are still on youtube. Especially Hickock 45. Crossing my fingers.
Hickok45 was actually banned by youtube. Twice. Granted, it was because of Google's labyrinthine "no gun advertising" rules back then for Google+, but it shows just how shaky the ground is for gun channels on youtube. Hickok45 at least had a large fanbase to back him up when he was banned twice and reinstated twice. If you don't have that or very good lawyers, I've heard that Google doesn't bother to listen to youtube user complaints regarding unjustified bans or similar issues.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The new problem is that a LOT of these channels are trying to, but not saying that they are, relying on fans on Patreon. That's a good idea, but let's say I have 12 favorite gun channels, and I actually watch a lot more. Lost count on how many channels. I can only donate so much of my money every month and I got other channels I like that aren't gun related, that I want to support. People will start deciding on not donating or stop donating after so long before they realized how much money is being spent a month.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 04-13-2017, 12:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Does anybody know if it is possible for content creators to appeal the demonetisation in this case? It used to be appealable, then I heard recently that it wasn't any more, but then Youtube claimed that the lack of an appeals process was a "bug" that they were fixing. This was about 2 weeks ago now, so am just curious if anybody is aware of a gun channel that has successfully appealed the age restriction/demonetisation.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

From what I've been looking up, this is a recent problem that's on top of YouTube getting boycotted by a bunch of companies pulling their ads, so this had lead to newer stupid policies on other channels as well, like a view limit before you can get money on a video.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think that the 10,000 views before monetisation is actually a good policy. If you are legitimately making content of your own, 10,000 global views (ever for all videos, not just for one video) is really not that much, and the amount of money you would get before this point is pretty negligible to by honest. I'm not sure exactly what the figure is, but I believe that Youtube pays something like $8 per 1000 ad views, with an ad view only counting if you don't skip in the first 30 seconds or something. Lets say that only about 30% of people actually watch the ad to this point, that means that the ad revenue that you are missing out on is only like $25 in total. The purpose of this 10,000 views before monetisation is to stop people creating spam accounts with misleading video titles, channels that rip other peoples content, or channels that claim copyright of other peoples content to steal the monetisation.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

FWIW there is another video site called Full30 that isn't controlled by Google and all the other gun hating Internet folks.....at least not yet. Hickock45 and others are on it as well. I just joined.

https://www.full30.com/
Old 04-17-2017, 02:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Same here, but Full30 for the moment is sort of a like the country club for gun channels. You need to have of some reputation, it seems and be invited to the site. You can't just make up a channel and start posting vids like YouTube. At least, not yet.