imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM

Mine would be a Colt Mk IV Series 80 fitted with Novak sights, a commander style hammer, beavertail grip safety, Pachmayr grips, extended beveled magazine well, and loaded with 8 round CMC magazines.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 PM

most colts i see ar enot xse s. All i see is series 70 repros and 1991s. Theyve got basic white dot sights and palstic triggers half the time. A springer milspec costs less, same features, and a metal trigger. Colt literally charges for a pony emblem. Their ar-15s are rediculously priced and no better than a bushmaster/rock river. They make good 1911s, sure, but cost more than a comprably good one. And they treat civilians as a side market. They dont even bother with R&D to innovate, hell the newest thing they got is a dao 1911, i cant wait to watch that fail.

Those chip mccormicks are great mags by the way.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
most colts i see are not xse s. All i see is series 70 repros and 1991s. Theyve got basic white dot sights and palstic triggers half the time. A springer milspec costs less, same features, and a metal trigger. Colt literally charges for a pony emblem. Their ar-15s are rediculously priced and no better than a bushmaster/rock river. They make good 1911s, sure, but cost more than a comprably good one. And they treat civilians as a side market. They dont even bother with R&D to innovate, hell the newest thing they got is a dao 1911, i cant wait to watch that fail.

Those chip mccormicks are great mags by the way.
You may not see many XSEs but they are around. Some may like the plain look of the Series 80 models, which are around $200 less. Springers are cheaper for what you get, but they are made in Brazil. I don't think that's a bad thing, (I just bought a Springfield Milspec Stainless this morning) but labor is probably cheaper there and can sell at a lower price. Colt's main problem they didn't R&D when they should have. Use to they where the only maker of 1911s. Now they no longer have the market cornered. They did try something different with the Double Eagle, but that didn't go too well. They need to get back into double action revolvers. But I'm not sure they can compete with S&W and Ruger. Which have been the reason they stopped production on them in the first place.

I may seem hypocritical defending Colt while owning only Springer and S&W 1911s. But trust me, I'll get one eventually. I have missed several good buys on Colt's because I didn't have the money at the time.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM

I would do a colt revolver. The detective special is one of a kind, 6 shots at the size of a 5 shot j frame.

Also, colts seeing civilians as a secondary market pisses me off. Ive seen on forums where police officers talk about how cheap they get their ar-15s for their departments, ive heard of 6920s going for 500. I plan to be a police officer and support LE completely, but thats just rediculous we pay 3x the price.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 AM

Surprised no one has said my frst choice...

WWII Colt 1911A1, preferably pre 1942 so it will have the checkered mainspring housing instead of the straight vertical serrations.

After that I'd want a pre 70 Colt Government Model made in 1967, for the sake of a song reference.

Third is a blued Colt Commander manufactured any time before the Series 80 changes were implemented.

To chime in on the Colt talk, as I have with my selection, the modern company is a shadow of it's former self, but their guns are not badly made. They are relatively high priced (overpriced in my opinion), and they don't have a wide range, but you get the name. I'm a purist, though, and I like to do things right, so if I were to own a Colt, it would be one made in an era when they were king and nothing but quality.

On the other hand, for those people who think all 1911s but Colts suck, they are wrong too. I only want Colts because they made them first. Furthermore, they didn't design the gun, they just produced the first models after getting the design from John Browning, so it's a slap in his face to refer to all 1911s as Colts (like saying "wow cool a Colt 1911" when looking at a Kimber or something). 1911s are 1911s. Colt 1911s are Colt 1911s. 1911s are NOT Colt 1911s unless they are manufactured by Colt and are stamped as such.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 PM

A lot of people think the name is important, i hear a lot of people say only Colt ar-15s are worth buying, yeah, thats why they lost the m-16 contract, because their quality was too high

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 PM

If you're gonna go Colt, buy old Colts. It's the same with S&W

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM

A guy at the range had an old colt officers model, felt great in hand. Just long enough to get all fingers on the grip. Id like one then id install a long trigger, tune it, checker the frontstrap, and put some nightsights on. Ultimate cc piece.

Grunt, Mass effect 3

Last edited by k9870; 12-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM

From a collectors standpoint, and when it comes to their old guns, a quality standpoint, the Colt name is very important, regardless of how they conduct themselves now.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Some old colts would be great collectors pieces but horrible defensive guns, the old 1911s had 7-8 pound tiggers and only fed fmj. The military 1911s were also rediculously loose fitted.

Grunt, Mass effect 3