imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Max-41a

I'm sure most if not all of you have seen stories about the MAX-41A pulse rifle. Obviously, it's not for sale, since it's got a full auto M11/9 in it, not to mention the short barreled shotgun underneath.

http://www.max-11.com/TopSecret.html

BUT...

Would you be able to make a drop-in stock shaped like the M41? I don't think you could do the shotgun without a tax stamp, so let's forget that for now. Like for a Ruger 10/22 or an M1 Carbine?

Modern Thompson carbines are too long, but I suppose you can get an SBR tax stamp for a Thompson pistol and build it off of that.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I'm sure most if not all of you have seen stories about the MAX-41A pulse rifle. Obviously, it's not for sale, since it's got a full auto M11/9 in it, not to mention the short barreled shotgun underneath.

http://www.max-11.com/TopSecret.html

BUT...

Would you be able to make a drop-in stock shaped like the M41? I don't think you could do the shotgun without a tax stamp, so let's forget that for now. Like for a Ruger 10/22 or an M1 Carbine?

Modern Thompson carbines are too long, but I suppose you can get an SBR tax stamp for a Thompson pistol and build it off of that.
I don't think you could ever make it and have it look quite right, as from looking at it I would say you would not be able to fit anything with a 16" barrel in there. The standard barrel is just over 12" I think, and you can't really have the chamber any further back unless you do something very weird with the magazine, like somehow mounting it in the pistol grip or something. As far as I can see the only way that you could have a simple drop in stock and make it legal, would be to either have a longer barrel (you could turn it into a sniper or MG variant like these for example, also getting rid of the useless grenade launcher in the process) to get it up to 16", or get rid of the stock to make it legally a pistol.

I just had a random though that has never occurred to me before, does anyone know if something like this would still count as a stock if it couldn't be extended and hence actually used? This isn't a great example as you could argue that you could shoulder it even in the retracted position, but could you legally have a stock fitted to a MAC-10 or Uzi "pistol" as long as it was welded in place?

Another drop in stock that would be good to see somebody make would be the Morita. It would have a legal barrel, we know it would work as a drop in kit as that is what it was originally built from, and it already has a carbine variant if you wanted to get rid of the shotgun to make it simpler/more legal.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Another drop in stock that would be good to see somebody make would be the Morita. It would have a legal barrel, we know it would work as a drop in kit as that is what it was originally built from, and it already has a carbine variant if you wanted to get rid of the shotgun to make it simpler/more legal.
The rifle version would need a longer barrel, wouldn't it? Judging by the position of the ejection port in the shell, it seems like a standard-length Mini-14 would fall significantly short inside it.

Compare using the ejection port:

Not that getting hold of a longer barrel should be an issue, since the government seems to be more concerned with SBRs and the like.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-09-2014, 06:07 AM

If you really wanted a firing replica of a pulse rifle/make such a thing available for whoever wants one, I reckon the best bet would be a "send in your Tommy Gun, pay a fee, do whatever you need for the fees to the gov't, and I'll make it look like a pulse rifle" kind of deal

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 05-10-2014, 04:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

You're talking about this? Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am76xV8Aubk

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”