imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Paranoia and fear of Home Invasion

You might find this thread about being prepared for a home invasion interesting. It's over on The Firing Line (TFL).

I can't speak for areas back east, Detroit, Chicago, L.A. and so on. But here most of our home invasions are conducted by people who know the victims and usually it seems to involve drugs and money. Anyway I'm just not prepared if he go off what some of the posters have written. But then again I'm not a Mall Ninja either. See what you think.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525165
Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 PM

I consider myself EXTREMELY hard to take unawares because I have what is known as "sensory defensiveness," a side-effect of having ADHD.

Basically, it means that my tolerance for noise, smells, light, bright colors, physical contact. etc., is lower than the average person. High and low-pitch noises are extremely irritating, I can't go outside even on overcast days without sunglasses, strong smells can give me migraines, and even a gentle touch from most people fills me with anxiety.

The upside, however, is that I'm extremely aware, at all times, of what's going on around me. Not only can I hear everything that's going on in the house and trace every sound back to its source, but I can actually tell when people are coming because I can "hear" vibrations from cars and even footsteps on the concrete.

I keep weapons hidden in every part of the house and I know exactly how to use every one of them to maim or kill. My martial arts and weight training allow me to move around almost completely silent, and since my house is always kept dark at night, I'm easily capable of sneaking up on any intruder and getting the drop on them.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM

I have a pretty average HD setup, but there is no way in hell someone is getting into my house without me knowing about it. They'd have to bust down a door or break a window, which I reckon would make enough noise to bring the break-in to my attention. I'm not really all that concerned about a home invasion, though, since the only times I can remember anyone in my neighborhood's house being broken into, it ended up in one case being some kids from the neighborhood (who were caught) and another in the whole subdivision being cordoned off by the police and some K-9 units being brought in.

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 AM

I'm preparing, but I'm not especially concerned. Our neighborhood has relatively little crime, and several of our neighbors are good friends of ours who keep such close eye on our house that sometimes they tell us about a car parked outside or someone looking around the yard before we even see them.

Currently the Mosin-Nagant is just sitting in its case in the closet, but I have the bayonet in a box on top of it and immediately accessible if I wake up. Since I spend so much time in front of this computer, I have one of my hunting knives in the drawer next to me. I have another one in the living room and a baseball bat elsewhere. You pretty much have to catch me in the bathroom for me to not have a weapon handy.