imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Accessing IMFDB

I wished there's a way to make it unable for regular members to edit and make stupid pages. Like all current members who know how to do the job are cleared for access, but new members or members we've filtered that aren't good at making pages or make random stupid pages are unable to and would have to ask an admin to have access to make a page. This way, even if someone register, he cant make a bad page that's crap or another Halo page

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-07-2010, 07:04 AM

Please do so =D, I'm sure someone knows how to do this around here.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think you're taking the "Halo" controversy a little too seriously. Please calm down. Yes, there are a lot of members (not just Anonymous users) who can be annoying, but it's not practical for us to have a judge-and-jury system.

It is pretty frustrating sometimes, but again, that's why we have admins and why we have discussions about this stuff. There are always going to be gray areas that need to be resolved, and members who will disagree with each other.

Last edited by MT2008; 05-08-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Maybe I am a bit off, but I do think letting people simply ask and show they do know how to make a page and if they don't know, then we won't give them the ability to make a page or edit. It helps spammers and noobs.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to The Mercenary Send a message via AIM to The Mercenary

What about someone who wants to make a start to a page and give others the chance of adding to it? thats the point of imfb isn't it, everybody building a complete account of movie firearms?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mercenary View Post
What about someone who wants to make a start to a page and give others the chance of adding to it?
Uh, so you're saying people should start a weak page .... and then expect OTHER PEOPLE to finish it? Epic Fail in my book.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Uh, so you're saying people should start a weak page .... and then expect OTHER PEOPLE to finish it? Epic Fail in my book.
What i'm saying is nobody knows everything, but to build up a complete page on any subject, firearm, film or actor sometime needs contributions from others.
May be a minimum amount of info is needed to start a page - or better still use the forum to create a "test page" to build up info on a subject before transferring it to the main site.

Last edited by The Mercenary; 05-21-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: changed
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM

So take the film Nemisis as an example. I have it on VHS and while I can do a detailed page with gun images and links to all the varios gun pages i can't screencap unless I get out the Digital camera and tripod. Thus i would go to my user page and make the Filmpage without screencaps and leave it there until I can get someone to send me some screencaps.

Is that the sort of deal you are talking about Merc?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 PM

Thats certainly one viable possibility, then the info you collected would be available to members but not to the general browser surfing and ready for transfer. There would be thousands of pages i could complete but for only having a copy on VHS. Just because you own the DVD doesn't mean you know all the facts!

My point is why can't a page be a collection of contributions from numerous members, and with this its much more unlikely that incorrect information be posted. Just for example, what if i had over 80% of a page including screencaps and just because you can complete a page doesn't mean that page will be 100% correct and whats worse an incomplete page or a page full of misinformation?

Even senior members are guilty of providing misinformation on some pages, The Guns of Navarone, The Eagle has Landed to name two.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mercenary View Post
My point is why can't a page be a collection of contributions from numerous members, and with this its much more unlikely that incorrect information be posted.
well (a) every page can be a collaborative effort. No one is saying that it should NOT be and (b) the second part of your sentence is so completely wrong in the real world. It's only true if all of the people who contribute to the page know what they are talking about. I've discovered that, though many IMFDB members can learn A LOT and become awesome contributors, the vast majority of casual visitors don't know what they are talking about.

Quit grandstanding with these diatribes about how wonderful it would be if EVERYONE in the world contributed to an IMFDB page. In reality we see more erroneous information coming from dozens of anonymous sources, around the world, than not. There is NO RULE against anyone wishing to become a useful contributing member. You can edit a page, but be sure you are correct. Too many new users aren't.

I've made tons of mistakes (we are all human) and others have fixed pages that I have made and I am okay with it (but I usually don't like unnecessary changes, or changes which subtly deliver the wrong message). Pressing your point with backup won't get you banned. In fact it will earn you brownie points for being an honest and courageous scholar.

But constantly fixing stupid changes or wrong entries over and over again on popular pages really wears you down. But this is something every new members doesn't get, until they've been here a while, and his/her pages are constantly being messed with by anonymous (probably underage) users from all over the world.