imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-26-2009, 03:19 AM

Default M16 magazines in the US military

Are soldiers allowed to purchase their own magazines and use them in combat?

I'm asking because it says on the Jericho page that the US military has never used thermold magazines, but this picture seems to prove otherwise.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-26-2009, 04:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yes, soldiers are even allowed to bring in their own ammo. I've heard from my Marines that they even smuggle in hollow points for their M16s.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 AM

I'm not a US soldier so I can't comment on mags, but no way in hell would bringing in their own ammo be allowed. That would NEVER fly in any army. That will get you sent to jail.

As an aside, I don't know why anyone would be willingly using thermold mags. We originally used them with the C7 and they were so terrible we got rid of them in the 90s and bought steel ones. This was a time when the budget was so small there was talk of getting rid of the artillery entirely.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM

Id et pmas, they have a reallly good rep. USI mas, not so much. Most soldiers I know say the springs are so worn they can't fully load their mags and have them work properly.....one navy guy i know used to have to carry a 1911 with 5 rounds in the ma due to same reason....

Last edited by k9870; 11-26-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I'm not a US soldier so I can't comment on mags, but no way in hell would bringing in their own ammo be allowed. That would NEVER fly in any army. That will get you sent to jail.

As an aside, I don't know why anyone would be willingly using thermold mags. We originally used them with the C7 and they were so terrible we got rid of them in the 90s and bought steel ones. This was a time when the budget was so small there was talk of getting rid of the artillery entirely.
Because it ISN'T allowed. It's against the Geneva Convention to have anything other than FMJs. But out in the field, in Iraq, who would know or care?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Id et pmas, they have a reallly good rep. USI mas, not so much. Most soldiers I know say the springs are so worn they can't fully load their mags and have them work properly.....one navy guy i know used to have to carry a 1911 with 5 rounds in the ma due to same reason....
What? K9870, you still didn't buy a new keyboard?

On topic, I doubt people could smuggle in Hollow Points. Those Marines were probably lying. Why would anyone risk going to jail for some extra fire power?

I'm also completely sure that it was the Hague convention in 1899 that outlawed Hollow Points for use in warfare not the Geneva convention. Not only that, the outlawing of Dum-Dum bullets were a continuance of the Saint Petesburg convention of 1868.

Last edited by Ace Oliveira; 11-26-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Are soldiers allowed to purchase their own magazines and use them in combat?

I'm asking because it says on the Jericho page that the US military has never used thermold magazines, but this picture seems to prove otherwise.

The U.S. military has never officially adopted or authorized the Thermold magazines. As Nyles has pointed out, CF ditched those long ago, and if it wasn't good for them, you can damn well bet the DoD would have the same view.

I'm guessing this particular soldier might have had a buddy (maybe a private contractor or someone) who did him a favor and got him some. Though it still begs the question why he'd want such bad mags. Everyone I know who's ever bought Thermold mags for their AR hates them and regrets wasting the money.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:53 PM

My G key is acting up now. And its the hague convention which bans hollowpoints, not geneva, and we never signed either, its just military policy to use fmjs.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedoptowsmeet View Post
And, of course, what I really meant by the title was MANGA magazines ....

Have noooooooo idea what I was thinking.
He's a bot

>
Quote:
About Dedoptowsmeet

Biography
Man
Interests
Dedoptowsmeet
Occupation
United States