imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-26-2009, 03:42 AM

Default What do you think is the best choice for concealed carry?

Other forums have this debate a lot. Want to see your ideas. I think the ruer LCP makes a nice liht un if you o for runs and need something that will conceal well in light cloths. For Normal use, I think sub compact 9mms, like the kahr p9 or a lihtweiht J frame such as a lcr or 642 are nice. I think you need a comfortable, light gun you will always carry. The .38+P in the pocket beats the 1911 custom tactical at home. What do you say? Smaller packages? Or are you one of those who carries an l-frame IWB?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Glock 26 would be a good carry conceal.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-26-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Glock 26 would be a good carry conceal.
Not a lock fan, but i say if it fits you use it. The 26's rip is too short for me, and the edes around the magwell create a real uncomfortable pressure point on my hand. literally, another 1/2 of rip and it would be a real comfortable gun.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well you could then get a mag extension to fit more for your hand, or get an XD in compact.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm not a Glock fan (much the opposite). But I must admit that when I was looking at conceal-carry pieces earlier this year, I decided Glock was probably the best choice, because there's almost no other pistol that (out of the box) is better shaped and weighted for conceal carry. For that, I can forgive some of my other problems with Glocks (particularly the shape of the grip circumference).

However, I prefer the G19 to the G26. Even with a mag extension, the G26 is less controllable. And the larger-caliber sub-compact Glocks (like the G27, G30, G33, G36, G39, etc.) are even moreso. If I were going to get a semi-auto pistol for conceal carry, the G19 is what I'd probably choose.

Of course, I haven't tried any of the compact XD variants.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-26-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Give the XDs a try. A friend of mine has a compact in 9mm with a magazine extension for grip so you can fit your entire hand around it.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Ive seen the glock extensions that just have a spot for an extra finger but dont do anything in the back. Does the xd extension fit the entire grip?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

Yes it does. It's not just an extended grip. It's an extended magazine.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

It's a personal choice. Ultimately a person will go with what they like.

I usually carry a S&W Model 49 Bodyguard. Especially in the summer when an ankle holster is the best way to go. It isn't an ideal carry method, but it's easy to conceal and at least I still have something.

In the winter when sweaters and coats are the norm I will go with either my GLOCK 26 or GLOCK 19 on my belt. Just depends on my mood. I always carry a reload as well.

I like a handgun that is compact and relatively light to carry. 9mm and 38 +P Special is good for me.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 AM

I dont expect to be stopping bank robebries, just muggers. So 380 would suit my needs, 9mm or 38 too.