imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 PM

Just put some money down on a Smith & Wesson 3913 TSW pre rail. I might have paid a little much for it but it's a hard to find piece IMO.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 AM

I'm a fan of any Smith and Wesson auto, so I would pay top dollar for one as well.

I want a 1076 something fierce.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Just put some money down on a Smith & Wesson 3913 TSW pre rail. I might have paid a little much for it but it's a hard to find piece IMO.
Were you buying it for the rarity/rollmarks or just because it was a 3913?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Were you buying it for the rarity/rollmarks or just because it was a 3913?
I've heard great things about the 3913 and it's pretty hard to find it anywhere but a gunshow through my experience. It's also the TSW pre rail version which from what I read is hard to find as it was only made from 1998-2000 so I grabbed it. However background check is supposed to take up to 2 weeks with how backlogged the state police is with the gun rush and all.

not my picture
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM

I'm on the fence with whether or not to get a 3913 or a 6906 myself, since the 3913 has better ergos but the 6906 holds 4 more rounds in the mag, and the older versions have the exquisite looking square guard. Perhaps the one benefit of living in Florida's humid climate is the abundance of stainless Classic S&W Autos too, since although you and Shooter seem to have a hard time finding them, I trip over them whenever I go to any gun store here.

The TSW is cool in a few respects I'll admit. S&Ws laser etching isn't quite as traditionally cool as stamping, but it looks very clean, and the TACTICAL as part of the rollmark sort of helps the gun mesh up to current trends in the practical shooting world. However I only think it does so in appearance and not in function. Being pre-rail, it isn't functionally TACTICAL and it's more or less just a word they put on the slide for marketing purposes. Being a later production 3913, it also has the blued small parts (I'm not sure whether or not they are cast as opposed to forged, or if that matters) which is an accent some like and some can do without. I prefer the stainless parts myself for aesthetic and corrosion resistance purposes.

I will say that one feature that makes this gun TACTICAL is the recessed beveled magazine well which you don't see on standard 3913s. I'm not sure if yours is the same but it's definitely interesting. I'm not sure I like it though since it means proprietary magazine, and since 3913 mags are relatively hard to come by to begin with, that may pose a problem. The mags are 7 rounders to accommodate for this too as opposed to the regular 8, and they don't make the butt any shorter for added ease of concealment as you'd expect.

I know why you bought it though, and no, I'm not going to say it was the TACTICAL rollmark and you buying into stupid marketing for a joke at your expense, I'm not that cruel sir. You got it for the same reason Predator bought the 4505 and why I bought my 92SB. It has some of the mystique and functionality of it's relatives and a peculiarity all its own from it's rarity and different (not necessarily better) features. You probably wanted a 3913 as well, and this was the only thing available, and it was damned interesting at that. The divide between the 4505/92SB and this though is that this is a gun one buys for a highly functional purpose, concealed carry, as opposed to it being a collectible plinker. The inhibitions of the functional peculiarities therefore mean more. You wanted change for a five and you got three ones and then a two dollar bill. It's weird, it's probably not as functional as five ones, but there's something about having it that makes you feel... special, I guess.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 PM

From what I've read S&W CS9 Magazines are also compatible with the 3913 TSW pre rail. I also fits a niche in my gun collection that has not been filled, that being of an easily concealable handgun.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I'm on the fence with whether or not to get a 3913 or a 6906 myself, since the 3913 has better ergos but the 6906 holds 4 more rounds in the mag, and the older versions have the exquisite looking square guard. Perhaps the one benefit of living in Florida's humid climate is the abundance of stainless Classic S&W Autos too, since although you and Shooter seem to have a hard time finding them, I trip over them whenever I go to any gun store here.
The 3913 would conceal a lot better, too

I have a hard time finding "stainless Classic S&W Autos" because people who have them around here don't want to sell them

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 AM

I don't see how it would conceal so much more easily solely because of less than a quarter of an inch of width subtracted. With a similar holster, you'd do just fine in theory at least. It would be heavier I suppose, but I could deal with it. I carry so much stuff with me anyway, I could cut down to compensate for weight.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 AM

Just got a Browning Hi Power the other day! 1968 T-series that took forever to ship (I'm assuming because of the hysteria). I'm lucky I have a dad cool enough to buy nice stuff like this for me... He got it at a pretty good price too, although it is a beat of a beater. I'll probably have it refinished.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelTomb View Post
Just got a Browning Hi Power the other day! 1968 T-series that took forever to ship (I'm assuming because of the hysteria). I'm lucky I have a dad cool enough to buy nice stuff like this for me... He got it at a pretty good price too, although it is a beat of a beater. I'll probably have it refinished.
Oh indeed. Is it one of the Israeli/military surplus models that have been coming in, or just a well seasoned Browning import? I'd really like to see pictures of it. Welcome to the club sir.