imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Apparently because this only ran for 4 very short seasons. I mean, each "season" had only like 5 episodes each before it got canceled and in the 3rd season, they didn't hire back some actors.
They all quit. Also, Chris Ryan (who conceived the show) left during that same time, which is why it became a lot less realistic.

The reason that there were so few episodes is because each episode was so expensive, while the overall budget was so small, that filming more than a half-dozen episodes per season would have been prohibitively expensive.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yeah, I figured, but either way the first 2 seasons were very good with what they got

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-31-2010, 03:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Minor issue: I just watched the Season 4 episode, "Dividing Line", where Red Troop teams up with some Green Berets to go into Afghanistan. Anyone notice that the American soldier at one point asks, "Where's my Minimi?" when Dave snatches the gun to play a joke on him? You'd think they would know that any American soldier would call it a "SAW".

Of course, since I'm pretty sure most of the "Americans" in that episode are played by Brits, anyway, I guess that explains why.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Seriously, it's like American films and TV perfectly make fun of Brits in introducing Brit characters, but when they try to mimic Americans, it's this cliche literal cowboy hat wearing, southern accent, and racist assholes.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-31-2010, 11:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Yeah, it was kinda annoying that they had to portray the Americans as "cowboys". That being said, their portrayal wasn't quite as bad as some other countries whose SF have appeared on the show. The French special forces were portrayed as crybaby pussies, while the Russian Spetsnaz were portrayed as incompetent and barbaric. In general, the portrayal of our guys on "Ultimate Force" is (relatively) positive.

EDIT: Just checked out IMDB, and it turns out I was wrong. The Americans in the "Dividing Line" are played by a mix of actual Americans and some Canadians.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-31-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Yeah, it was kinda annoying that they had to portray the Americans as "cowboys". That being said, their portrayal wasn't quite as bad as some other countries whose SF have appeared on the show. The French special forces were portrayed as crybaby pussies, while the Russian Spetsnaz were portrayed as incompetent and barbaric. In general, the portrayal of our guys on "Ultimate Force" is (relatively) positive.

EDIT: Just checked out IMDB, and it turns out I was wrong. The Americans in the "Dividing Line" are played by a mix of actual Americans and some Canadians.
That seems accurate

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
That seems accurate
Jokes about French cowardice are kinda played out, bro.

Besides, I read a magazine article about GIGN once. They seemed pretty tough to me.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Jokes about French cowardice are kinda played out, bro.

Besides, I read a magazine article about GIGN once. They seemed pretty tough to me.
No, all the tough Frenchmen moved to America. They are known as Cajuns

Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 AM

I love how the gunshots on the show don't sound extremely fake like in other shows

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

That and the gun fights in general are pretty good. Too bad it took them until the 4th and final seasons to actually get the cast M4 style rifles that would fit the SAS's weapon choices. I understand M16s, but none of the primary combat rifles they use were accurate to what the SAS were using at the time unless this takes place in the 90s and then moved onto the 00s, which is still stupid. And season 4 to me being the weakest, they somehow managed to get new rifles.

Also about the rifles, it seems the fake M203s they use didn't even seem attached to the rifles, but more like they are strapped on