imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Not really, it would still be an AR-15 and be compatible with AR-15 parts. It would just have a different upper receiver (I imagine you could fit a "fixed" magazine release to any lower so that would not need to be changed). Regardless it was just a random though that occurred to me whilst trying to think of a workaround and is probably impossible for some technical or ergonomic reason that is eluding me right now.
Well, it seems like you can put AR-pattern parts on any weapon nowadays. Maybe someone could just design an AR lower with fixed magazine that can only be loaded with stripper clips to go along with the new upper. Like I said, it'd be a new gun, but it'd be interesting to design.

Or maybe a new lower with a fixed magazine that would be compatible with a regular upper? The rounds would have to be loaded from the bottom. You'd be able to eliminate the pistol grip as well if necessary.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
It's Komiefornia so what do you expect.
You don't need to remind me, hence the title of this thread. These are the same people who outlawed .50 cal rifles based solely on the scene in ''SWAT'' when Jeremy Renner shot down the LAPD chopper with one, after all.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Or maybe a new lower with a fixed magazine that would be compatible with a regular upper? The rounds would have to be loaded from the bottom. You'd be able to eliminate the pistol grip as well if necessary.
There are already lowers that exist that have a permanently fixed magazine (and kits that replace a standard magazine release with one that cannot be depressed to release the mag), I think these were originally the only way of having an AR-15 with "evil" features before the bullet button idea came about. The way you load them is to pull out the rear takedown pin (have seen ones with a ring fitted for doing this more easily) and "break" the rifle like a shotgun and load the mag normally from above. If the upper receiver was open topped it would just simplify this process, as all you would need to do is lock the bolt back and push a clip in from above.

If this bill passed (as devastating as it would be for California firearms owners who it would affect) I would actually be curious to see what solutions the firearms industry would come up with.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
You don't need to remind me, hence the title of this thread. These are the same people who outlawed .50 cal rifles based solely on the scene in ''SWAT'' when Jeremy Renner shot down the LAPD chopper with one, after all.
Really? Is that really the reason? Were .50 cal rifles Cali-legal before that movie?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 AM

They do make Stripper clip fed AR15 lowers. To use them you break the reciver and shove in the rounds. Before I moved to a free state I looked at buying one but it wouldn't be economic to convert it to a standard reciver so I didn't get one.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Really? Is that really the reason? Were .50 cal rifles Cali-legal before that movie?
Yeah.

10characterlimitsux

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Well, that's just what I mean. Different upper, different lower, isn't that just a different gun? And I suppose you could get an optics mount off to the side, like an M1C/D.
Just get a railed forearm and mount the optic on the fore-grip. Though this will only work with red-dot type sights and not a conventional telescopic sight.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Well, if you absolutely had to put it on a rail you could probably get away with a long eye relief scope on the foregrip. Though you'd be better off putting an AK-style side bracket on the lower, though you'd have to extend / alter the left-hand side controls to make it fit.