imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
I think the main worry in the region is Iran. With Iraq, and Kuwait having similar equipment and training it will go along way to help them with that problem. The other item that will help them is they will be able to use Iranian ammo if it ever comes to that. The Iranians main rifle in the Chinese CQ which is a copy of the early M16A1's with new style furniture. The Chinese setup a factory to build that weapon in Iran. The CQ was originally built to supply the Philippine insurgents along with they M14 clone but I guess that did not pay as well when they found out the Philippines were Islamic and not Communist.
The thing I worry about is the fact that the Dawa Party (al-Maliki's party) used to be Iranian proxies during the Iran-Iraq War. Not sure I feel comfortable handing billions in American-made weaponry to people like that. But, I guess it was the best we could do.

Does Iran really use the CQ as standard-issue nowadays? I usually see them pictured with AK variants, and I know they manufacture the Type 56 under license. They used to use G3s (also made under license, dating back to the days of the Shah), but I think those have been mostly phased out nowadays.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Does Iran really use the CQ as standard-issue nowadays? I usually see them pictured with AK variants, and I know they manufacture the Type 56 under license. They used to use G3s (also made under license, dating back to the days of the Shah), but I think those have been mostly phased out nowadays.
Ironic how, despite the fact that they hate America, they're using an American-made rifle, seeing as the CQ is nothing more than a refurnished M16A1...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well that's saying America hates communists but we love their AK47s.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well that's saying America hates communists but we love their AK47s.
Good point.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Ironic how, despite the fact that they hate America, they're using an American-made rifle, seeing as the CQ is nothing more than a refurnished M16A1...
Most people who have a choice would rather take an M16 over an AK. The AK may have a reputation for being more reliable and less mechanically complex than the M16, but the M16 and derivatives are more accurate, more ergonomic, and far better suited to the needs of a conventional army today.

As Pheonixent has explained, however, the CQ was originally manufactured after the Sino-Soviet split to aid guerrilla armies that were hostile to the Soviets, but receiving aid from both the U.S. and China. The Chinese probably figured that those groups would be receiving lots of 5.56x45mm ammo from the U.S. But the reality was that the U.S. only ever sent AKs and 7.62x39mm ammunition made by countries no longer aligned with the USSR, like Egypt and China. Or Soviet-made stuff captured by the Israelis and South Africans.

I believe Norinco makes an M4 copy, too, nowadays.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-12-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Hey man, I've seen a Neo-Nazi weilding an Uzi. You can't be racist towards a hunk of metal that you use for violence, and since when has blind hatred ever made any sense?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Hey man, I've seen a Neo-Nazi weilding an Uzi. You can't be racist towards a hunk of metal that you use for violence, and since when has blind hatred ever made any sense?
I think I remember hearing once that arms dealers in the Palestinian territories always have a harder time selling Uzis and Galils to Palestinian militias than they do selling AKs and M16s. Come to think of it, I've never seen a Hamas gunman carrying an Israeli-made weapon, but I have seen the secular leftist Palestinian factions (Fatah, PFLP, etc.) carrying them.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It was a qoute from Lord of War. "I've sold Isreali made Uzis to Muslims. I've sold communist bullets to facists. I;ve even made money selling arms in Afganistan against my fellow soviets. I've never sold to Osama bin laden. Not on any moral grounds, back then he was bouncing checks."

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
It was a qoute from Lord of War. "I've sold Isreali made Uzis to Muslims. I've sold communist bullets to facists. I;ve even made money selling arms in Afganistan against my fellow soviets. I've never sold to Osama bin laden. Not on any moral grounds, back then he was bouncing checks."
Eh, no. I saw a photo of a Neo-Nazi, not a muslim, with an Uzi.

There we go.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

And i was just qouting the movie because someone brought it up