Default Cannons?

Do we allow Cannons on the site???

-Z
Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Direct fire is allowed, I believe.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Although someone ought to make sure he's right. His track record isn't great.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

The cannons are likely mock ups, but they do appear to be based on the Gribeauval. His technique of looking up what they should be using and assuming it is that appears to have paid off in this case.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 AM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Seemed to me that this sort of weapon rarely, if ever got its own page. Are there any other examples of artillery on the site??

Directly from the Rules, Standards and Principles: "What we do not allow are weapons which are too large to be operated by either an individual or small crew or are used primarily as indirect fire delivery systems. This disqualifies fuel air bombs, all air dropped bombs, mortars, artillery, IEDs, most explosive ordnance."

Artillery is specifically mentioned therefor it doesn't qualify.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Cannons can be mentioned within articles. For example : http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Legionnair...h_mountain_gun, but they do not merit their own page.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

All these kind of cannons were direct fire so that doesn't disqualify them if you stick to the rules. However I would agree that generally cannons shouldn't have an article, as for the most part they are rather generic and will probably be mock ups anyway.

The only problem about them not having a page is that there is nowhere for the gun image to go where it can be found for future reference. Do you think it might be worth making a cannons page (like the flintlock pistol page) where appearances can be listed along with storing photos of known models of cannon?

Also whilst we're talking about page eligibility for heavy weapons, what about tank and aircraft automatic cannons? There seems to be a bit of inconsistency with this as they are not generally dismountable individual or crew served weapons so they would not qualify under the rules, but there does seem to be an awful lot of them on the site. Are they allowed or not? Also most of the aircraft cannons are actually identified by the presence of the aircraft which should be carrying them and not seeing the gun itself so some are pointless in that respect.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
All these kind of cannons were direct fire so that doesn't disqualify them if you stick to the rules. However I would agree that generally cannons shouldn't have an article, as for the most part they are rather generic and will probably be mock ups anyway.

The only problem about them not having a page is that there is nowhere for the gun image to go where it can be found for future reference. Do you think it might be worth making a cannons page (like the flintlock pistol page) where appearances can be listed along with storing photos of known models of cannon?

Also whilst we're talking about page eligibility for heavy weapons, what about tank and aircraft automatic cannons? There seems to be a bit of inconsistency with this as they are not generally dismountable individual or crew served weapons so they would not qualify under the rules, but there does seem to be an awful lot of them on the site. Are they allowed or not? Also most of the aircraft cannons are actually identified by the presence of the aircraft which should be carrying them and not seeing the gun itself so some are pointless in that respect.
There is definitely inconsistency, but one of the factors is that SOME Of these items are most definitely in MOVIE ARMORER inventory Some of the BIG Guns are sitting in movie arms room lockup as we speak. I usually like to omit ANY big guns that had to be 'borrowed' from the military. Also in the case of any of the weapons which are in movie armorer active inventory, I can technically get a shot of the screen used weapon some day. Sigh. IMFDB is a never ending eating child.