imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Actually I call bullshit on being sued by gun makers on the idea that they don't patent the image of guns, just the names of guns. There was a recent article about how gun companies own the rights to guns but no the image of guns being used in games and game companies would have to pay so that they can use gun company logos and names in their games.

I have not seen a single interview with Kojima nor from Konami on an official reason why all the guns are fictional when in all the previous games, they have been using real depictions of guns. It's been a staple of MGS to glorified what guns Snake is holding. In MGS1, there's a funny scene between Snake wanting to trade his MK 23 for Meryl's Desert Eagle. MGS2, when Snake picked up a USP, it was pointed out that it was a USP. In MGS3, there are codec conversations describing what gun you are equipped with and in MGS4, it is practically in love with the M4.

And with the amount of budget and development time spent on this game, I seriously doubt Konami didn't have the money to buy the name rights for guns let alone use images of guns since there is now law in selling a product that has only digital representations of guns.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 AM

I hope the dumbass who green lighted this movie steps on a Lego brick in the middle of the night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZWFDs0LxA

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 10-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Actually I call bullshit on being sued by gun makers on the idea that they don't patent the image of guns, just the names of guns.
And in some cases not even that; see also Colt getting their trademark on "M4" yanked.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
I hope the dumbass who green lighted this movie steps on a Lego brick in the middle of the night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZWFDs0LxA
Adapting a book that sold 100 million copies is a no-brainer. Save your scorn for the millions of readers who paid money for a poorly written Twilight fan-fic.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
And in some cases not even that; see also Colt getting their trademark on "M4" yanked.
I've never been able to understand how they ever had it. How do you trademark the government designation?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Actually not really, if you look at our side of the HK 416. Originally to be marketed as the "HK M4," the name was altered in an out-of-court settlement with Colt following a lawsuit over the latter's M4 trademark: Colt ultimately lost this trademark after Bushmaster Firearms refused to settle in the same way and the term "M4" was legally genericised as a name for carbine-length AR15 pattern rifles. HK has not yet altered the weapon's name in light of this, or indicated any plan to do so.

So for a military designation for any guns, it really can't be patent.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 10-08-2014, 04:41 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Actually not really, if you look at our side of the HK 416. Originally to be marketed as the "HK M4," the name was altered in an out-of-court settlement with Colt following a lawsuit over the latter's M4 trademark: Colt ultimately lost this trademark after Bushmaster Firearms refused to settle in the same way and the term "M4" was legally genericised as a name for carbine-length AR15 pattern rifles. HK has not yet altered the weapon's name in light of this, or indicated any plan to do so.

So for a military designation for any guns, it really can't be patent.
I remember the HK case, and I thought it was weird then. I can understand why they won't change it now, HK416 is now well-established, and that IS something that can be trademarked.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Though it's weird that Daniel Defense this passed year sued Remington for using their slogan...even though it wasn't the complete slogan. Remington has "Lighter, stronger, and even more badass" as opposed to DD's "Lighter, Stronger, Better" and had chevrons pointing down instead of DD's pointing right.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Though it's weird that Daniel Defense this passed year sued Remington for using their slogan...even though it wasn't the complete slogan. Remington has "Lighter, stronger, and even more badass" as opposed to DD's "Lighter, Stronger, Better" and had chevrons pointing down instead of DD's pointing right.
Is that really a slogan or more or a description?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:00 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Is Cyborg really worth his own feature film?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...and-six-others