imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 AM

I would not be shocked to see a G3 clone in Afg, but they've never been reported. The Iranians wouldn't sell them either, it's too obvious, as they do not officially provide aid. Espescially when they also make AKs.

Insurgent weapons, by and large, are the Ak-47, RPD, RPK, PKM, RPG-7, DShK, B-10 recoilless rifle, and various 82mm mortars. Getting correspondingly rarer as they heavier. Sniper rifles and Soviet legacy AK-74s have been reported but at exceptionally rare.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Most likely, Iranian contacts. Their state arms plants have been building G3s for almost as long as the Germans have.
Pakistan has also been building G3s under license since the 1960s, and it seems far more likely that the Taliban could acquire them in the tribal regions, whether through arms sales or capturing them from security forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
No FN FAL rifles in Afganistan but there are lots of G3 rifles to be had. Pakastan makes the G3 and the Taliban gets them through contacts in Pakastan's Tribal region. Hopefully they have the G3 and don't make it semiautomatic only.
Here's a picture of a Taliban with a G3 (probably of Pakistani manufacture, since Iranian G3s continue to have the old vented handguards).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paktaliban2.jpg (65.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

The problem is the logistic, it´s easier to have a standard caliber (in this case the 7.62x39) for most of the weapons than having a mixture of cartridges.

Quote:
Here's a picture of a Taliban with a G3 (probably of Pakistani manufacture, since Iranian G3s continue to have the old vented handguards).
Note the scope, it´s obviously used as a designated marksman rifle.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Seeing the these guys using anything bigger than an AK is scary. Instead of inaccurate rapid fire, troops get precise shots from a good rifle.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
Pakistan has also been building G3s under license since the 1960s, and it seems far more likely that the Taliban could acquire them in the tribal regions, whether through arms sales or capturing them from security forces.

Actually, he's not Afghan Taliban, he's Tekrik-i-Taliban (TTP, AKA Pakistani Taliban), they're not the same thing. They don't recognise Mullah Omar's authority and they don't operate in Afghanistan. There's some association with the Afghan Taliban, and their overall aims are parallel, but not identical. I suspect that G3 was captured in fighting with the Pakistani army, which the Afghan Taliban do not take part in.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a G3 over here, but it's never been reported. I wouldn't espescially worry though, they can't shoot for shit anyways.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a G3 over here, but it's never been reported. I wouldn't espescially worry though, they can't shoot for shit anyways.
Still even the worst shot can get lucky. I have a friend in the 101st who got shot in the upper leg/Buttock from a Taliban fighter who was at least 800+m away. How does he know it was 800+m well the bullet that went through his leg and caught in the back of his pants was a 7.62X39mm Tracer round and his pants were not burning. He was shot in the middle of the night while his unit was moving to support a unit under fire about 300m from his position. IE. Some Taliban shooting at random got lucky.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 AM

Of course, I'm not gonna stand up in the middle of a firefight no matter how inaccurate the shooting is. The point is a Talib with a G3 is no bigger threat than one with an AK-47, nor any other rifle.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

So when does this Metal of Honor game takes place? Someone here said 2002

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Ok, we found a G3. Haven't examined it in person yet, but it's Iranian or Pakistani.