imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 AM

Isn't the statistic that the round goes off over 80% of the time on a second strike? Id say that is a big help, especially for 1 handed use, how many times have you at the range practiced one handed shooting knowing that you may be injured or have the arm occupied and not be able to use both?

I'll put it on the record though, second strike is not a dealbreaker for me, id use a sao or striker gun any day and feel just as safe, the only rounds ive had FTF have been rimfire.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 AM

I think I was being a little too optimistic when I made my last post. I'm sorry but I have to agree with Yournamehere's side of the argument. :\

Last edited by Mr. Wolf; 09-01-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: blah
Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 AM

I'll ad din that even though some people may be able to train on tap rack bang to the point they are proficent and it is second nature not everyone having to use a gun is a gun person, a military member or police officer that fires twice a year for qualification could be saved by a double strike. However, as i've said, double strike isn't necessary, just nice.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 AM

BTW I know how to reload and rack the slide of a pistol with one hand. You put the pistol between your thighs with the mag-well forward, you insert a mag with your remaining hand, and then you take the pistol and catch the the slide or rear sight on your pants or belt and rack the slide. Boom, you just reloaded your auto-pistol and are back in action, and all with one hand.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolf View Post
BTW I know how to reload and rack the slide of a pistol with one hand. You put the pistol between your thighs with the mag-well forward, you insert a mag with your remaining hand, and then you take the pistol and catch the the slide or rear sight on your pants or belt and rack the slide. Boom, you just reloaded your auto-pistol and are back in action, and all with one hand.
double striking only takes a quarter second and then you can do all that muzzle sweeping yourself stuff.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM

But what if the time I spend trying to fire the pistol a second time, instead of taking cover and clearing the malfunction, I get a bullet through the eye. :/
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 PM

what if you get hit during the 2 seconds it takes to tap rack bang instead of the quarter second to pull the trigger again?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 AM

I'd rather have the ability to strike a bullet a second time than not, I'll agree with that sentiment, but in the event of a real issue, granted both my arms are working, I'd sooner jack the bad round out than try it again. And I'd like a citation for your statistic as well for the sake of your argument as well as my own benefit. I've had a handful of cases where a round would still not go off after 2-3 strikes, and I believe I had one decide to go off on a second strike, but I don't recall that clearly. For the most part though I still don't think you can trust a dud and you'd do better to get a fresh round in your gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolf View Post
I can actually vouch for this being completely doable for ejecting a bad round. My buddy demonstrated something similar to this this a few times with his CZ P-01, though he moved the slide on the rear of his shoe in a kneeling stance instead of his belt, as it is a harder surface and makes things easier. No, it's not as fast as double striking, but it's doable and it rids you of your failed round.

The main point though is that double striking is only good if you trust the dud round to go off. I personally can't do that and I don't think anyone should. You might as well trust a gun that is prone to jamming if you're to trust a bullet that you know has failed.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
The main point though is that double striking is only good if you trust the dud round to go off. I personally can't do that and I don't think anyone should. You might as well trust a gun that is prone to jamming if you're to trust a bullet that you know has failed.
Exactly, I will not trust a round that did not go off with the first strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
My buddy demonstrated something similar to this this a few times with his CZ P-01, though he moved the slide on the rear of his shoe in a kneeling stance instead of his belt, as it is a harder surface and makes things easier.
That's a really good idea, *emulates it onto my system*.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Striker fired guns have less lock time than one with a hammer, one less thing to snag on, and they are more simple.