imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingo View Post
Assault Rifle: Heckler & Koch G36C (with factory vertical foregrip).

Shotgun: 12-gauge Remington 870 "Witness Protection."

Handgun: 2 Gen4 Glock 19s (kept in underarm tactical holsters; uses 17-round magazines).

Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi (barrel threaded to accommodate suppressor).

Sniper Rifle: DRD Tactical Paratus-SBR-12.

Backup Guns: Walther PPS (.40 S&W chambering); FN Five-seveN Tactical (armor-piercing SS190 ammo); Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact; Bond Arms Snake Slayer derringer (.357 Magnum chambering); Glock 36.
You've got several problems. First is that anyone with double shoulder holsters is: A. A mall ninja guaranteed to be laughed at by anyone with a clue about guns. 2. Lacking places to put spare mags. Yes, you could put them on your belt but why do that when you've got a shoulder holster. D. Going to have hard time with anything else. That double shoulder holster might be nice, but you can't use it with you tactical vest. I'd go with a single shoulder holster and a second gun on your hip or SOB. Switch to a thigh holster for when you break out the big guns and tactical vest.

Second: Too many calibers. You're looking at 5 different pistol calibers and 6 brands. Drop the .40 PPS for a 9mm version. I think the Seecamp LWS in .380 would be a much better choice than a .357 derringer. It's shorter, half the weight, and reloads faster with more ammo. It quite literally will fit in you palm, and .380 is probably easier to get than .357 in Europe.

I might drop the Px4 Sub-compact for a Glock 26, just for simplicity's sake and mag commonality, but whatever you want.

Finally, get a TT-33 or similar weapon. Anything old and chambered for 7.62x25. You need a weapon that penetrates bulletproof vests and doesn't scream "Professional with stolen military-grade ammo". Discrete is nice. Same with your sniper rifle. You may want something more common. And your Remington 870 should have a top-fold stock on it. I don't care how short the barrel, you need to be able to aim sometimes. Top-fold stock (Be prepared), Surefire weapons light pump, and a receiver-mounter shell holder are all good.

So basically: 2 Glock 19s, one in shoulder holster the one on hip. Single gun in thigh holster for tactical work.
PPS (9mm)
Px4 Sub-Compact (9mm)
Glock 36 (45ACP)
Seecamp LWS (.380)
FN Five-seveN (5.7x28)
TT-33 (7.62x25)
Yes, I just added another caliber while trying to simplify.
Pocket knife
Boot knife

And as for backup weapons, use your perverted guy imagination for where to stick them. She's a woman, the old "pistol in the garter belt" trick probably won't work, but in your bra or an inside-thigh holster (If wearing a suitably short skirt/dress) will.

Like I said before, approach this like you're playing Fallout. Loot the dead, sell the guns, keep the ammo. And stash some guns somewhere else, just in case.

Last edited by Mandolin; 02-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
You've got several problems. First is that anyone with double shoulder holsters is: A. A mall ninja guaranteed to be laughed at by anyone with a clue about guns. 2. Lacking places to put spare mags. Yes, you could put them on your belt but why do that when you've got a shoulder holster. D. Going to have hard time with anything else. That double shoulder holster might be nice, but you can't use it with you tactical vest. I'd go with a single shoulder holster and a second gun on your hip or SOB. Switch to a thigh holster for when you break out the big guns and tactical vest.
So, one under the shoulder and one on the hip for standard operations; duel-thigh holsters for heavier situations. Got it.

Quote:
Second: Too many calibers. You're looking at 5 different pistol calibers and 6 brands. Drop the .40 PPS for a 9mm version. I think the Seecamp LWS in .380 would be a much better choice than a .357 derringer. It's shorter, half the weight, and reloads faster with more ammo. It quite literally will fit in you palm, and .380 is probably easier to get than .357 in Europe.
I can't believe I haven't mentioned it thus far: the story takes place in New York City, the Canadian Wilderness, and possibly New Orleans.

Quote:
I might drop the Px4 Sub-compact for a Glock 26, just for simplicity's sake and mag commonality, but whatever you want.

Finally, get a TT-33 or similar weapon. Anything old and chambered for 7.62x25. You need a weapon that penetrates bulletproof vests and doesn't scream "Professional with stolen military-grade ammo". Discrete is nice. Same with your sniper rifle. You may want something more common. And your Remington 870 should have a top-fold stock on it. I don't care how short the barrel, you need to be able to aim sometimes. Top-fold stock (Be prepared), Surefire weapons light pump, and a receiver-mounter shell holder are all good.
I'm kind of stuck on the sniper rifle, since it's the only one I can find that is A.) chambered for a commonly available caliber, B.) light and easily taken-down, and C.) has a decent magazine capacity. And the problem with the shotgun is that, with the stock extended, it's too long for someone as short as Hanna and not as good in close quarters. How about a Mossberg 500 JIC II with a detachable M4-type adjustable stock? As I may or may not have said before, I don't intend to have her carry into combat as a regular thing, it's for keeping wherever she's living in case she's attacked there.

Quote:
So basically: 2 Glock 19s, one in shoulder holster the one on hip. Single gun in thigh holster for tactical work.
PPS (9mm)
Px4 Sub-Compact (9mm)
Glock 36 (45ACP)
Seecamp LWS (.380)
FN Five-seveN (5.7x28)
TT-33 (7.62x25)
Yes, I just added another caliber while trying to simplify.
Pocket knife
Boot knife

And as for backup weapons, use your perverted guy imagination for where to stick them. She's a woman, the old "pistol in the garter belt" trick probably won't work, but in your bra or an inside-thigh holster (If wearing a suitably short skirt/dress) will.

Like I said before, approach this like you're playing Fallout. Loot the dead, sell the guns, keep the ammo. And stash some guns somewhere else, just in case.
Unfortunately, there is no communication between the "perverted imagination" part of my brain and the "writer" part, so I'm forced to only consider practicality and awesomeness (kind of hard to reconcile the 2).

For her non gun weapons, I was thinking a folding Emerson kerambit, a Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife, and an Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Smatchet.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
So, one under the shoulder and one on the hip for standard operations; duel-thigh holsters for heavier situations. Got it.
I'd go with one thigh holster for heavier situations, unless you want incessant Laura Croft jokes. (Hm. Hanna/Hit Girl/Young Lara Croft?) That's an extra couple pounds better spent on more mags for your rifle, water, armor, or being able to move. Her actress is about 120lb, so less weight is good

Quote:
I can't believe I haven't mentioned it thus far: the story takes place in New York City, the Canadian Wilderness, and possibly New Orleans.
How'd she get here from Europe? Try setting it in a state that isn't rabidly gun-phobic as well. And drop the G36C completely. An M4A1/M733/M933/M4gry uses readily available and cheap M16 mags. You won't find G36 parts easily or for decent prices in the US. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Quote:
I'm kind of stuck on the sniper rifle, since it's the only one I can find that is A.) chambered for a commonly available caliber, B.) light and easily taken-down, and C.) has a decent magazine capacity. And the problem with the shotgun is that, with the stock extended, it's too long for someone as short as Hanna and not as good in close quarters. How about a Mossberg 500 JIC II with a detachable M4-type adjustable stock? As I may or may not have said before, I don't intend to have her carry into combat as a regular thing, it's for keeping wherever she's living in case she's attacked there.
The shotgun sounds good, the sniper rifle might need more thought. Maybe an AR-15 in .308? Could she use a Benelli M4 Super 90, just keep the stock collapsed.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no communication between the "perverted imagination" part of my brain and the "writer" part, so I'm forced to only consider practicality and awesomeness (kind of hard to reconcile the 2).
For her non gun weapons, I was thinking a folding Emerson kerambit, a Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife, and an Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Smatchet.
I have no clue about the knifes, but there should be inside-thigh holsters (See the first episode of Warehouse 13).

Last edited by Mandolin; 02-14-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
The shotgun sounds good, the sniper rifle might need more thought. Maybe an AR-15 in .308? Could she use a Benelli M4 Super 90, just keep the stock collapsed.
The Paratus is pretty much an "AR-15 in .308" which has been designed to be takedown, you will not find another gun in its class that breaks down as small. You might wan't to go with the 16" barrel version for a bit more range (think it fits in the same size case) or even the 18" barrel DMR version (case is slightly bigger but still pretty small).

Quote:
Wow, a more perfect sniper rifle for Hanna's needs really could not exist (at least not until they figure out a way to make the .408 CheyTac M-200 Intervention fit into a briefcase).
If you do not need it to be a semi auto, there is also the Nemesis Arms Vanquish, which is pretty much a takedown mini CheyTac.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Side note: I was orginally planning for this story to be a crossover with "Kick-Ass," but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it to be about Hanna alone.
Probably for the best. I enjoy both movies and all, but can't conceivably see Hanna and Kick-Ass existing in the same universe as a serious setting.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM

The Vanquish should work, but I'm not sure she needs long-range firepower. She's great in close quarters, but I doubt she has any long-range skill. Also, she should still have Marissa's Walther PP (.32 ACP) with suppressor and shoulder holster. I'd get her a Luger P08 as well, she had one in Finland and is might be nice to have one now. Same with a bow, she knows how to use one and going Robin Hood on bad guys is cool.

Slightly off-topic, but does she have friends in the fanfic? Aside from the bonus of having a second person to watch your back, she's still a naive teen with very little idea how the world works. She could seriously use a big-sister sidekick. I'd give her 2 buddies. Ass-kicking big sister type to cover her six in combat (two is always better than one) and teach her how the world-and, more importantly, boys- work. And a slightly nerdish type (male or female) to act as driver (fast getaways are nice) and be the adult of the group.

That said, they should try to follow the law. Try to avoid full-auto, and put all the suppressors and any SBR/SBS in an NFA trust. AR pistols could work as a substitute for assault rifles sometimes.

Yes, I just gave her 3 more guns, a bow, and 2 more people to give guns. But by herself, she can't do too much and remember, she can't even get a hotel room, too young.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
The Vanquish should work, but I'm not sure she needs long-range firepower. She's great in close quarters, but I doubt she has any long-range skill. Also, she should still have Marissa's Walther PP (.32 ACP) with suppressor and shoulder holster. I'd get her a Luger P08 as well, she had one in Finland and is might be nice to have one now. Same with a bow, she knows how to use one and going Robin Hood on bad guys is cool.
Actually, I think with practice, a long-ranged attacked wouldn't be too hard for her. Real-life sniping is, after all, largely a matter of having a complex understanding of physics, geometry, and all the little variables in you own equipment. Given the sort of education she had while she and Eric were sequestered in the forest, I wouldn't put it past him to have made sure she was educated in those things. But the more I think about it, maybe giving her a compound bow would be a better choice than a sniper rifle. Maybe a custom-made one with a scope and laser rangefinder.

I was planning to have her trade Marissa's Walther PP (it was the .380 version, by the way) along with the cash needed to obtain her new weapons from a black market arms dealer (I seriously doubt she'd want to keep it). She would still keep her father's Beretta and Luger, but keep them in her home as momentos rather than use them.

Quote:
Slightly off-topic, but does she have friends in the fanfic? Aside from the bonus of having a second person to watch your back, she's still a naive teen with very little idea how the world works. She could seriously use a big-sister sidekick. I'd give her 2 buddies. Ass-kicking big sister type to cover her six in combat (two is always better than one) and teach her how the world-and, more importantly, boys- work. And a slightly nerdish type (male or female) to act as driver (fast getaways are nice) and be the adult of the group.
Since I scrapped the idea of making this a crossover with "Kick-Ass," I was planning to have her still be rather hesitant to get close to people, although she is still in contact with that family she met in the film. She has a job working as a delivery girl at a restaurant in Queens. She has a small apartment a block or so away. This takes place a year after the movie, making her 17 and thus a legal adult in New York. In that time, she's learned how to ride a motorcycle, gotten a GED, committed to memory various maps of NYC, and learned how to convert semi-automatic firearms to full-auto.

Quote:
That said, they should try to follow the law. Try to avoid full-auto, and put all the suppressors and any SBR/SBS in an NFA trust. AR pistols could work as a substitute for assault rifles sometimes.

Yes, I just gave her 3 more guns, a bow, and 2 more people to give guns. But by herself, she can't do too much and remember, she can't even get a hotel room, too young.

SBR, SBS, NFA Trust, I don't know what ANY of those things are.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
SBR = Short Barreled Rifle. Another name for subcompacts like the Mk 18 Mod 0 and G36C.

SBS = Short Barreled Shotgun.

NFA Trust = http://www.guntrustlawyer.net/nfa_trust

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think with practice, a long-ranged attacked wouldn't be too hard for her. Real-life sniping is, after all, largely a matter of having a complex understanding of physics, geometry, and all the little variables in you own equipment. Given the sort of education she had while she and Eric were sequestered in the forest, I wouldn't put it past him to have made sure she was educated in those things. But the more I think about it, maybe giving her a compound bow would be a better choice than a sniper rifle. Maybe a custom-made one with a scope and laser rangefinder.
Hadn't considered that. But for the love of all that's holy, don't give her a bow like that. A bow should not have a scope or laser rangefinder. It's kind of short-range to need one and looks utterly retarded.

Quote:
I was planning to have her trade Marissa's Walther PP (it was the .380 version, by the way) along with the cash needed to obtain her new weapons from a black market arms dealer (I seriously doubt she'd want to keep it). She would still keep her father's Beretta and Luger, but keep them in her home as momentos rather than use them.
Ok, makes sense. But she doesn't have her Luger or father's Beretta, the Luger's still in End Of The World, Finland (unless the CIA raid team took it) and the Beretta's gone. Eric didn't have it when he got killed, must have lost it/ran out of ammo before then. She'll need to buy new ones.

Quote:
Since I scrapped the idea of making this a crossover with "Kick-Ass," I was planning to have her still be rather hesitant to get close to people, although she is still in contact with that family she met in the film. She has a job working as a delivery girl at a restaurant in Queens. She has a small apartment a block or so away. This takes place a year after the movie, making her 17 and thus a legal adult in New York. In that time, she's learned how to ride a motorcycle, gotten a GED, committed to memory various maps of NYC, and learned how to convert semi-automatic firearms to full-auto.
The family she met it the film is dead, aren't they? Marissa and the creepy tracksuit guy killed them. Supposedly you see missing-persons poster for them later in the film, and I seriously think they were killed. And how are you going to do anything with guns in NYC? You can't open carry, mags over 7 rounds are banned, and concealed carry needs a permit that no 17 year old immigrant is going to get.

Pity you can't have it cross over with Dark Angel. Jessica Alba as Max, another genetically engineered child soldier (X5-452), just have Max willing to use guns. The timing wouldn't work though (Max was born in 2000 and is in post-EMP 2019 Seatle.) Then again, you could handwave it and have Hanna be an X1 or X2 prototype.

And don't go full-auto. IRL, full-auto isn't used 99% of the time anyway because it wastes ammo. Also (see below), full-auto will have the government all over you for seriously illegal weaponry.

Quote:
It's how you avoid getting in trouble with the ATF for all your illegal goodies. An NFA (National Fire Arms Act of 1934) trust cuts down on the amount of paperwork need for NFA weapons. Rifles with barrels under 16" and shotguns under 18" are legally short-barreled rifle/shotguns. Suppressors are NFA items as well. 10 years in federal prison, do not pass go, do not collect $200 for illegal possession.

Unless you magically handwave the police into not caring and no one ever calls 911 reporting automatic gunfire, it won't work. I'd recommend Vermont or New Hampshire, since they have incredibly loose gun laws and NH doesn't care how old you are. Virginia might be nice, but I moved here from Massachusetts years ago, so I'm biased like that. Still, you get loose gun laws, a decent-size city (Richmond), and is next to Washington, DC. Yes, I'm citing gun laws while trying to arm a genetically modified child soldier.

Am I massively over-thinking all of this?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Hadn't considered that. But for the love of all that's holy, don't give her a bow like that. A bow should not have a scope or laser rangefinder. It's kind of short-range to need one and looks utterly retarded.
Yeah, good point. Maybe just a regular compound bow.

Quote:
Ok, makes sense. But she doesn't have her Luger or father's Beretta, the Luger's still in End Of The World, Finland (unless the CIA raid team took it) and the Beretta's gone. Eric didn't have it when he got killed, must have lost it/ran out of ammo before then. She'll need to buy new ones.
Between the end of the movie and the start of the fanfic, she went back to the cabin to retrieve whatever personal effects remained there.

Quote:
The family she met it the film is dead, aren't they? Marissa and the creepy tracksuit guy killed them. Supposedly you see missing-persons poster for them later in the film, and I seriously think they were killed.
Not necessarily. In a deleted scene on the DVD, Hanna is shown to receive postcards from them, so presumably Marissa let them go after they were interrogated.

Quote:
And how are you going to do anything with guns in NYC? You can't open carry, mags over 7 rounds are banned, and concealed carry needs a permit that no 17 year old immigrant is going to get.
Let me explain the concept of a black market to you. When a good or service is highly in demand but the legitimate market is made illegal, certain enterprising individuals find ways to get them and then sell them to the people who want them at prices reflecting the availability and risk of obtaining said good or service. One of the benefits of purchasing firearms from such individuals is that they don't care whether or not you are allowed by law to own firearms, they will sell them to you as long as you can meet their price.

Quote:
Pity you can't have it cross over with Dark Angel. Jessica Alba as Max, another genetically engineered child soldier (X5-452), just have Max willing to use guns. The timing wouldn't work though (Max was born in 2000 and is in post-EMP 2019 Seattle.) Then again, you could handwave it and have Hanna be an X1 or X2 prototype.
I've never seen that show.

Quote:
And don't go full-auto. IRL, full-auto isn't used 99% of the time anyway because it wastes ammo. Also (see below), full-auto will have the government all over you for seriously illegal weaponry.
True, IRL it's only really used to get your enemy to hunker down while you get into position, but I'd still like Hanna to have weapons that are select-fire.

Quote:
It's how you avoid getting in trouble with the ATF for all your illegal goodies. An NFA (National Fire Arms Act of 1934) trust cuts down on the amount of paperwork need for NFA weapons. Rifles with barrels under 16" and shotguns under 18" are legally short-barreled rifle/shotguns. Suppressors are NFA items as well. 10 years in federal prison, do not pass go, do not collect $200 for illegal possession.

Unless you magically handwave the police into not caring and no one ever calls 911 reporting automatic gunfire, it won't work. I'd recommend Vermont or New Hampshire, since they have incredibly loose gun laws and NH doesn't care how old you are. Virginia might be nice, but I moved here from Massachusetts years ago, so I'm biased like that. Still, you get loose gun laws, a decent-size city (Richmond), and is next to Washington, DC. Yes, I'm citing gun laws while trying to arm a genetically modified child soldier.

Am I massively over-thinking all of this?
All of the consequences and legalities you mentioned are entirely dependant upon one thing: Getting caught. NYC is an enormous city with over 8 million people, a good 80% of which are unlikely to talk to or even call the police for anything less than a full-scale riot or gang war. Considering Hanna's MO of striking quickly at her targets and then vanishing into the night, the chances of this are pretty low.

Tags
armory, fanfiction, hanna