imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-15-2015, 05:24 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Speed strips are a lot easier to conceal than speedloaders, IMHO. I can fit two of them in an old cell phone holster on my belt.

I'd like to think you wouldn't need more than five or six rounds in a self-defense situation though. If you need more, maybe you should reconsider going to wherever you're going.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

My only real experience with concealed carry was with a vertical shoulder holster. For what I was using it for it worked perfectly well, mainly because I had to conceal a full size Browning Hi Power, and not being able to take my jacket (or an outer shirt depending on the weather) off wasn't really an issue as that concealed a whole bunch of other stuff like magazines, vest, radio, etc. I will say though that I did spend pretty much a solid day adjusting the thing to get it to the point where it was just right for me which is obviously not so much of an issue with a waist holster. I have tried IWB holsters, and to me they always seemed a hell of a lot less comfortable and harder to ignore than that shoulder holster, but this might just be that I would have to get used to them.

With your back injury, can you comfortably draw quickly from a normal strong side IWB position? Assuming you are carrying at around the 4 o'clock you will most likely have to twist your back slightly to get your hand to the grip, and particularly in a self defence situation I can imagine overdoing it to get the hand back to their gun and screwing your back up. At one point I had a herniated disc (luckily it was minor and pretty much fully healed without intervention in about 5 or 6 months), and while that was still giving me problems this was the case for me.

A shoulder holster (along with cross draw or appendix holsters) would have the advantage that you are just reaching across the front of your body without having to twist. A disadvantage though, I don't think a lot of ranges or classes will let you use a shoulder holster due to the fact that the muzzle will most likely (definitely in the case of a horizontal holster) be pointing behind you at some point during the draw. This means that it could be harder to practice live firing with it.

Another advantage of a shoulder holster if you are going for something like a Galco Miami Classic, is that it has built in magazine holders. This has a few advantage, first being that it balances up the holster making it more comfortable. Secondly, it is one less thing you have to find room for on your belt or in your pockets, along with the fact that it is a lot quicker to put on. A shoulder holster also has the advantage that there is no messing about with having to have the write trousers on or belt and you don't need to thread anything or do anything up (with the huge caveat though that you have to wear something over the top though).

Last edited by commando552; 07-15-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 PM

I've been in a few situations in which I've needed to carry, what's worked best is IWB, front of hip left side, barrel pointing away from body. People say don't carry appendix, but I'm not pointing it into my body like a lot of people do so I don't see a problem. I mean, I can swing that fairly well under a hoodie or something, or if I had a smaller gun under a decent shirt

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-16-2015, 12:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post

I'd like to think you wouldn't need more than five or six rounds in a self-defense situation though. If you need more, maybe you should reconsider going to wherever you're going.
I and the few classes I have taken do not subscribe to mentality of "if you need more than X amount of bullets in a gun fight, you need to rethink your situation" or whatever variation of that line. I carry one spare mag with me and that's 19 extra rounds for if something's wrong with the mag I got in my gun other than it being empty, like a tac reload or malfunction. The mag I have in the gun is 15 and plus 1 in the chamber. Do I really need to use that many rounds in an actual fight, I don't know, I've never been in a gun fight. Every fight is different for you. It's best to be prepared. Now do I have a minigun in the trunk of my car and grenades down my pants? no, that's just silly and beyond the point. It's always about what you are prepared to do. I've seen guys that carry 2 spare mags or a backup gun as well and they don't feel over dressed but that's their preference.

I can't do appendix carry because I got a gut. It just doesn't work for me.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-16-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Same logic why I only carry my handgun with it's 7+1 rounds of 9mm and no extra magazines. I'm not looking for trouble and the gun is only for me to get away alive.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:36 AM

Call this rhetoric but this is what has always made sense to me. If it's ever worth carrying a gun, then it's worth carrying the biggest gun you can with the most rounds you can carry as long as it doesn't compromise concealment. The whole reason one carries is because they want to be prepared for any sort of attack they may come across, and attacks come in all shapes and sizes with any number of assailants or weapons, and it's not something you can predict. If you believe in preparedness as an extension of concealed carry, you shouldn't opt for under-preparedness in favor of preparedness. This is the same logic people use to justify not carrying a gun at all. At the end of the day, if you value your life and subscribe to the philosophical aspects of carry, you should not find arbitrary reasons to minimize your shooting capabilities. You will not be pulling out gunfight statistics when you are accosted by one man with a knife or 5 thugs with guns, you will be pulling out your gun. Make sure your gun is the right one. Or that your conveyance of your statistical analysis is damn convincing.

There are plenty of reasons that people of certain body types, medical conditions or job/dress requirements can cite to justify them carrying really small guns, but full grown men of sound mind and body don't have an excuse for not carrying a fighting sized gun and two reloads in my opinion.

Granted, this comes from a guy who carries a J Frame .38 90 percent of the time hehe. I always have it, but then again I always feel undergunned. I can't wait until I get something that combines capacity with rust resistance so I don't have to worry about my P228 rotting or my Model 60 running out of ammo.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Call this rhetoric but this is what has always made sense to me. If it's ever worth carrying a gun, then it's worth carrying the biggest gun you can with the most rounds you can carry as long as it doesn't compromise concealment. The whole reason one carries is because they want to be prepared for any sort of attack they may come across, and attacks come in all shapes and sizes with any number of assailants or weapons, and it's not something you can predict. If you believe in preparedness as an extension of concealed carry, you shouldn't opt for under-preparedness in favor of preparedness. This is the same logic people use to justify not carrying a gun at all. At the end of the day, if you value your life and subscribe to the philosophical aspects of carry, you should not find arbitrary reasons to minimize your shooting capabilities. You will not be pulling out gunfight statistics when you are accosted by one man with a knife or 5 thugs with guns, you will be pulling out your gun. Make sure your gun is the right one. Or that your conveyance of your statistical analysis is damn convincing.

There are plenty of reasons that people of certain body types, medical conditions or job/dress requirements can cite to justify them carrying really small guns, but full grown men of sound mind and body don't have an excuse for not carrying a fighting sized gun and two reloads in my opinion.

Granted, this comes from a guy who carries a J Frame .38 90 percent of the time hehe. I always have it, but then again I always feel undergunned. I can't wait until I get something that combines capacity with rust resistance so I don't have to worry about my P228 rotting or my Model 60 running out of ammo.
Average gun fight is over in about 2 to 3 rounds. Carrying a gun as a citizen your only real advantage over anyone who tries to attack you is because they don't know you have a gun and that is the only real advantage and the only real reason that armed citizens win gun fights is because of the element of surprise. The reason why I don't carry a full size heavy high capacity gun is I see it as unnecessary and Id probably end up leaving it at home or locked in the glove box half the time whereas a smaller handgun I have no excuse to not be armed as I barely notice that I'm carrying it. Only real reason to carry that is if you are expecting a gun fight somethings gone wrong in your life and you need to move or call the police. Oh and if 5 guys attack me with guns I don't think a Beretta 9mm is gonna save me and your probably good as dead to put it realistically because If that many people are after your and want you dead and they'll get you eventually. Yeah of course its better to have a full size handgun but realistically I'm not going to carry that everywhere. 8 rounds is enough to do the job and if its not I probably made some bad life choices somewhere.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I can't do appendix carry because I got a gut. It just doesn't work for me.
Hell, no matter what I do I'll have a gut (runs in the family; my Navy Corpsman cousin has one even though he's the biggest gym rat I've ever met), but it never bothered me Mexican carrying my 459. I reckon it'd even be less of a problem with a smaller gun.

I think minor uncomfortable things don't really bother me as much as they do others, just because I am already pretty much physically incapable of being completely comfortable

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-17-2015, 01:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Average gun fight is over in about 2 to 3 rounds. Carrying a gun as a citizen your only real advantage over anyone who tries to attack you is because they don't know you have a gun and that is the only real advantage and the only real reason that armed citizens win gun fights is because of the element of surprise. The reason why I don't carry a full size heavy high capacity gun is I see it as unnecessary and Id probably end up leaving it at home or locked in the glove box half the time whereas a smaller handgun I have no excuse to not be armed as I barely notice that I'm carrying it. Only real reason to carry that is if you are expecting a gun fight somethings gone wrong in your life and you need to move or call the police. Oh and if 5 guys attack me with guns I don't think a Beretta 9mm is gonna save me and your probably good as dead to put it realistically because If that many people are after your and want you dead and they'll get you eventually. Yeah of course its better to have a full size handgun but realistically I'm not going to carry that everywhere. 8 rounds is enough to do the job and if its not I probably made some bad life choices somewhere.
Again you can't use the term "Average gun fight" or "statistics show". It means that yes the odds of your gun fight lasting X amount time, encounter Y amount of foes and expend Z amount of ammo shows good favor but you can't let that decide your options. It's like rolling a dice. You might land good or you might suck.

I wear pretty good jeans even during the summer when the heat bothers most people and a good belt that holds my Glock and my spare constantly and it doesn't bother me. There's also the saying that a gun show be comforting, not comfortable, but there's a happy medium with that logic.

Some would call my Glock 19 a full size gun but with my body type, I see it as skirting the edge of a full size and compact. It's a pretty perfect size for me. Some want a bit smaller, so they'd get the Glock 26, sure and it's still a capable gun.

And no, it isn't that you carry a gun because you "expect a fight". It's "you're prepared for a fight".

Also the "call the cops" mentality is the opposite of carry mentality. Most anti gun people would go "why carry a gun at all when you can call the cops?" Well we know why. Cops take too long to help you and are not around every corner. We carry guns to protect ourselves, to put or lives in our hands, not let it hang while cops come to save us or most likely to report about us being victims.

Forget about the right gun or ammo or even training, you first need the mindset of a fighter. The warrior mindset. You go about your day doing whatever but when SHTF, you are ready for it. It most likely will be when you least expect it and will surprise you, but your mindset will kick in and you will fight for your life regardless.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 AM

I'll give you 1 maybe 2 guys coming after you in a mugging maybe, but realistically if your being ganged up by posses armed to the teeth its because your into some shady sh*t ie criminal...just saying.