imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Default Seriously why dont they ever unfold AK stocks?

Every movie and tv show with folding stock AKs, it stays folded, nobody ever unfolds it and shoulders it properly. Why? This particularly bugs me, seeing that even shows that get guns right a lot (like the unit) it stays folded....

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Because it looks cooler to fire a rifle/subgun with an underfolding stock folded. When in doubt, that's the answer to everything that doesn't make sense about guns in movies. Duh.

To play devil's advocate for a second...

(1.) How common is this in movies? Have you done a survey of every movie/TV show featuring an AKS-47 or AKMS derivative, and calculated the proportion of them that show BGs firing with the stock folded? If not, can you really say that every movie has this problem?

(2.) Doesn't this happen in the real world, too? I've seen pictures of AKs captured in Iraq, and I've seen many that are actually missing the stock completely (regardless of whether the gun was a fixed or underfolding model). Which suggests to me that maybe those guys don't care much about accuracy. And you know what they say about life imitating art?

Last edited by MT2008; 10-04-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Banned

It's easier to spray blindly over the short wall you're crouching behind if there's no stock.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:22 AM

Well, if the bad guys are supposed to be seen by the audience as firing from the hip or otherwise worse at shooting than the heroes, then why should they act like they are actually better at using guns?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
It's easier to spray blindly over the short wall you're crouching behind if there's no stock.
Come to think of it, I remember a video of Palestinian gunmen firing at IDF personnel during the beginning of the 2nd Intifada. They were all armed with underfolding AKs, and that's exactly how they were shooting: They were spraying blindly over blasted walls with the stocks folded. I'm under the impression that this isn't uncommon in the Middle East.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 AM

Even americans have the stocks folded, even ones who are supposed to be highly trained operators, subguns have the stock folded a lot but at least sometimes i see it unfolded.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Even americans have the stocks folded, even ones who are supposed to be highly trained operators, subguns have the stock folded a lot but at least sometimes i see it unfolded.
Which movies are you referring to?

Off the top of my head, the only one that comes to mind (from recently) is the "Green Zone", when Matt Damon used a Chinese Type 56-1 in the climax. And he had the stock folded then because he was in a huge hurry and running through an alley, and as soon as he reached his target, he was facing three armed men. I can't see how he would have ever had time to unfold the stock in those circumstances.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 AM

more refererring to TV with the american/foreighn operators doing this, its usually just the bad guys in movies, except as said green zone and the kingdom.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 AM

I heard baddies in the Middle East don't really aim because of "Inshalah" (They believe that Allah will guide their bullets)

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I heard baddies in the Middle East don't really aim because of "Inshalah" (They believe that Allah will guide their bullets)
Yeah, as in guide them into nothing or better, guide them into friendly fire.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Closed Thread