imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Including airsoft guns?

I have a quick question...should IMFDB include separate entries on gun pages for airsoft guns being used as props in movies/TV? The reason I ask this question is because I've noticed that there seems to be increasing usage of airsoft weapons in non-firing scenes. If you want an example, take the Classic Army M15A4 airsoft rifles, which have been used in a huge number of recent movies/TV series ("The Hurt Locker", "Generation Kill", "28 Weeks Later", "Castle", etc.). I'm thinking I should add an entry for the Classic Army rifles on the M16 page. I also just saw an episode of "Human Target" where Real Sword airsoft replicas of the Norinco Type 56 were used in some non-firing scenes.

On the one hand, I think this makes some sense because we've already been doing this, to some degree (the MGC M16 replicas, which have been used by armorers and propmasters for decades, already have their own separate entry on the M16 page). On the other hand, I fear that it might things a bit more confusing. There is already a popular misconception that most (or all) guns used in movies are airsoft, which I used to see circulated on airsoft message boards. We need to make sure that we're certain a non-firing weapon is airsoft, and also that we provide good evidence distinguishing the replica from the real (firing) weapon. Usually, you can tell because the airsoft weapon is different from the firing weapon in some way (i.e. in "Human Target" where Norinco Type 84s replace the airsoft Type 56s in firing scenes). But sometimes, it's not so obvious - the Classic Army airsoft ARs have white markings on the receivers, but so do some real ARs.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by MT2008; 12-28-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 PM

we could just add them in with the non guns...?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
we could just add them in with the non guns...?
The "Non Guns" page is not intended for any and all replica weapons in movies. It refers to a specific brand of prop weapons that are manufactured by Independent Studio Services, and which "fire" small charges that simulate gunfire. That's why "Non Guns" is in quotes - to emphasize that it's a brand name as opposed to a category of prop. I remember somebody once tried to add the MGC M16s to that page, and I reverted the change.

I suppose it might be worth thinking about creating a page for all airsoft weapons to be included together. However, I would think that including the airsoft versions on the gun page would allow users to compare the airsoft guns to the real weapons and recognize the differences. But I am open to suggestions.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

I say go for it, but how do you differentiate the airsoft versions from the real thing?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 PM

do it. lets give them their own page
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
I say go for it, but how do you differentiate the airsoft versions from the real thing?
usually if you look at the reciever you can see the markings of an airsoft manufacturer, they dont do a good job of covering it up. look at the Hurt Locker page

Last edited by Zulu Two Six; 12-28-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
It's not always easy. But a big hint is when the weapons change in some way between firing and non-firing scenes. I've seen movies and TV shows where U.S. soldiers (or other characters) carry M16A2s in non-firing scenes, but then as soon as the M16s get fired, they magically transform into other variants (such as M16A1s with A2 hand guards). When I see something like that, I think it's likely I'm looking at airsoft weapons in the non-firing scenes. Why else would the weapon's appearance change, otherwise?

Or, as Zulu pointed out, sometimes, there are other visual differences. Classic Army airsoft ARs all have white-painted receiver markings which most real ARs don't have. In "The Hurt Locker", the Classic Army markings are partially covered, but it looks like they used black magic marker or something, so they're still visible. Also, as I mentioned on the page, the Classic Army M4s used in "The Hurt Locker" are older versions that have 4-position collapsible stocks. All of the real M4s used in the movie seem to have 6-position stocks (which look different).

Point is, it's going to vary from movie to movie, but the rule of thumb is that whenever you see a change in the weapon's appearance between firing and non-firing scenes, you have good reason to suspect you've uncovered the use of an airsoft weapon or some other replica.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think we should put the airsoft into the gun pages of what they are emulating. Like the M16 Airsofts should be in the M16 page, etc.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I think we should put the airsoft into the gun pages of what they are emulating. Like the M16 Airsofts should be in the M16 page, etc.
What about both? Having an airsoft page and then having each individual airsoft model on the page for the firearm it emulates. And would it be a good idea to do this with the non-guns and other replicas as well?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Unlike Non guns, Airsofts are harder to spot unless they show shots of them up close and you could see the brand name logos on the receivers

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
What about both? Having an airsoft page and then having each individual airsoft model on the page for the firearm it emulates. And would it be a good idea to do this with the non-guns and other replicas as well?
Do you mean that we should have a separate page in order to help readers distinguish between airsoft and real guns? That sounds like a good idea.