imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-19-2009, 05:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Users ... stop referring to yourselves as "Gun Nuts"

I can tell who the members are, who are 'young', i.e. too young to realize that the term "Gun Nut" has been often used by Anti gun enemies, the biased media and worse the courts and law enforcement, as a negative term implying "mental instability".

I wouldn't make an issue of it, but I'm running into TOO MANY user pages where the IMFDB member refers to themselves as a "Gun Nut".

I'm saying now. Knock it off!

Gun Nut is not only an insulting term that gun haters use to disparage gun owners, but it's just not a very smart thing to call yourself.

I have many Cop friends who collect firearms and they go Ballistic if anyone calls them 'a gun nut'. They point out that if they ever have to go before a judge or have to account for their actions if they are involved in a shooting incident, the LAST THING they want is for anyone to go on the record, calling them a gun nut. The opposing lawyers will eat that up, painting you as a mentally unstable person obsessed with guns. Yes, it's sad, pathetic, but it's also a sign of the times......

When I have Police and Lawyer friends saying "Never call yourself a Gun Nut", I tend to listen.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well I'll knock myself off the list. I'm nuts about guns but I'm not a nut in general.

Last edited by Gunmaster45; 04-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Not sure it's worth getting upset about, but I do agree that "gun nut" is not a term I consider to be flattering or remotely positive...much the opposite. I can't imagine why any gun owner/enthusiast would call themselves a "gun nut" with pride.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Sometimes I call myself an amatuer gun expert... I know that sounds like an oximoron.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-19-2009, 04:14 PM

I don't recall any instance where I have described myself as a gun nut, but I won't use it from now on.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
IMFDB Admin

Thanks guys! To those who responded, I never expected YOU GUYS to do that! hahahaha. I was referring to the noobs or semi noobs.

Okay, here are some clips from user pages (don't want it to appear that I'm making fun of any member so I did not list the username: ) hahaha

* "Am just a big ole lovable gun nut with too much time on his hands!!! "

* "I'm a certified gun nut, as well as a car nut and a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to my taste in women "

* "My dad was a gun nut, and I grew up around them"

* "I ama bit of a gun nut"

Also there are those admission of obsessions that may be twisted and distorted by others with an agenda.

"I have a complete obbession with guns!"

"I have an unhealthy obsession witih GUNS!"

"I am a GUN fanatic and are obsessed with them.."

Just a cautionary note. I myself don't care. I know comments like that don't mean anything nefarious. But in this day and age, we must be careful how we present ourselves to the world. Being on IMFDB won't result in anyone being busted, but in the real world, we should get used to being very cautious in how we present ourselves and our interests. Sad but true.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 AM

Hmmm...sounds like I need to go edit my profile...