imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Obama to use Executive Order to ban guns

Has anyone heard anything concrete about this? I've just looked over several blogs and news articles about it.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

It was Biden talking to the press. He didn't say anything new and he did say Obama "could". Now that's not saying Obama wouldn't. But the use of could is notable. Also I think some of the reactions that folks are having regarding the possibility of executive acts are over the top. Bush senior banned the importation of assault rifles after the Stockton Shooting in 89 - remember that? Clinton was always using excutive acts. They expire after a set amount of time and they open to review by the supreme court.

Like was said in the other thread lets deal with one thing at a time. Biden's commitee is designed to come up with possible actions and then present them to the president who will go from there. He's going to be saying a lot of stuff to the press. He's been out of the limelight for the past four years and I'm sure he's going to enjoy his time in front of the cameras.

In case anyone is curious the commitee is meeting with many gun rights groups to include the NRA on Thursday. I don't know how much of a difference that will make, but it's unusual. If I remember correctly Clinton never met with the NRA during his 8 years in office.

Just an observation.

Last edited by Jcordell; 01-10-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM

And Bush Senior didn't so much as issue an executive order as he merely began to enforce the GCA '68 more stringtently.

Sad, fun fact: The DOJ/ATF actually asked gun owners what they considered a sporting purpose and none of them mentioned Three-Gun or any of the practical competitions.

Despite protests from H&K, who don't hate us enough to loose the surplus market.

Sometimes, we, as gunowners, are our own worst enemies.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
And Bush Senior didn't so much as issue an executive order as he merely began to enforce the GCA '68 more stringtently.

Sad, fun fact: The DOJ/ATF actually asked gun owners what they considered a sporting purpose and none of them mentioned Three-Gun or any of the practical competitions.

Despite protests from H&K, who don't hate us enough to loose the surplus market.

Sometimes, we, as gunowners, are our own worst enemies.
No argument from me.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Formerly "Michael Westen"

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if he did, the courts would overrule it shortly thereafter because it's completely unconstitutional. While I may be a secular liberal, I am definitely conservative on gun issues and I don't think that Obama is headed in the right direction for gun control. At all.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Titov View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Even if he did, the courts would overrule it shortly thereafter because it's completely unconstitutional. While I may be a secular liberal, I am definitely conservative on gun issues and I don't think that Obama is headed in the right direction for gun control. At all.
It didn't stop them the first time. Let's hope we can do better this time

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM

I originally posted this at the Firing Line...

What is with all this defeatism?

I read some posts here that make it seem like we're in a French HQ in April of 1940. The Panzers aren't knocking at the door.

Write/call/email/fax your Congressional reps. We don't have to budge on one single thing.

As General Forrest said so eloquently "Keep up the skeer."
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

I've been sending regular emails every day and encouraging other gun owners to at least do emails.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
I originally posted this at the Firing Line...

What is with all this defeatism?

I read some posts here that make it seem like we're in a French HQ in April of 1940. The Panzers aren't knocking at the door.

Write/call/email/fax your Congressional reps. We don't have to budge on one single thing.

As General Forrest said so eloquently "Keep up the skeer."
Amen. I posted something similar a couple days ago over on the Smith & Wesson forum. I'm getting tired off all the doomsayers. My response to one poster who has basically given up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Practical View Post
Your letter or email has very little effect. YOU MUST CALL and SEND MONEY to the NRA or your state organization.
I disagree. I wrote all my reps and I got response back from all three of them. I also belong to the NRA. I guess if your rep is a proven anti then there is no point writing or calling.But if they're somewhere in the middle it does pay off to keep up the pressure. Also George Soros is wealthy but he isn't God and he isn't invincible.

There are many wealthy and influential people on our side. We also have organization, passion and money. Geez guys stop giving everything to the anti's. you sound like some of the doomsayers at the start of WW II who kept going on and on about the Japanese and German "supermen" and how we were so outclassed. Yet somehow we pulled out a win.

If you really think we're that outclassed just turn in your guns and give up. At least you won't have to worry about it anymore.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Even if my state rep is anti gun, I will continue to send emails. I send an emails, I support the NRA and other pro gun groups. I might be one man with no real power but the people are the power of this country. Combined, our voices will be heard and we can make a difference through peaceful protests, petitions, etc. Giving up because "oh my rep is anti gun, it's over now" doesn't mean anything. It just means you need to try harder, vote for someone who isn't anti gun in the next election.