imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Thanks for the info. When you wrote "FM's copies" did you mean "FN Herstal clones" instead?
I was talking about FM (Fabricaciones Militares) pistol series based on the Hi-Power.

Quote:
Finally, do ordinary South American citizens in "high-conflict countries" carry personal firearms around more frequently than Americans do? Last I heard ransom kidnapping is big business there, what with the drug cartels or leftist guerillas looking to make more money on the side. It's understandable to want to have a gun to defend yourself if you're caught in the crossfire of random driveby shootings or become the mark of a drug addict who's going through withdrawal and is looking to finance the next fix by mugging you.
I think Colombia (guerrillas and drugs) and Brazil (also, drugs) are the only "high-conflict countries". Maybe Peru and Paraguay, but everywhere itīs hard for common citizens to get the permission to carry firearms, the only exception are the security guards and police officers.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
"Realia" in Boiling Point: Road to Hell I think has more resemblance to Colombia than Mexico. First among these tip-offs is the of the "FAPC" guerilla faction ingame, which is obviously a pastiche of Colombia's own FARC (last I heard Mexico does not have a similar leftist insurgency). Next is the complete lack of desert terrain ingame (then again that depends on where you are in Mexico). You should look at the screenshots I posted and see for yourself.
Mexico has the leftist Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN), but it isn't nearly as well armed or pose as much as a threat (despite recent setbacks) as the FARC. On another note, you might be interested in watching Proof of Life, which was filmed on location in Ecuador and features a variety of weapons that would likely be used by rebels or criminals in the region.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
Mexico has the leftist Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN), but it isn't nearly as well armed or pose as much as a threat (despite recent setbacks) as the FARC. On another note, you might be interested in watching Proof of Life, which was filmed on location in Ecuador and features a variety of weapons that would likely be used by rebels or criminals in the region.

"Downtown 1, what the fuck was that?"

Everytime someone mentions that movie, I think of that line.

Regardless of what you think of him now, David Caruso was awesome in Proof of Life.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
I think Colombia (guerrillas and drugs) and Brazil (also, drugs) are the only "high-conflict countries". Maybe Peru and Paraguay, but everywhere itīs hard for common citizens to get the permission to carry firearms, the only exception are the security guards and police officers.
Well, how bad is it living near the favelas in Brazil, say in Rio De Janeiro? From what I've heard, the location in "City of God" isn't even a "real" favela, and yet it breeds that kind of psychopathy and violence? The drug trade cannot flourish without a large contingent of users/addicts, and most addicts can't hold down a job to finance their "habit." That's one of the motivating factors for many to turn to violent crime like break-ins and robbery to finance their "lifestyle."
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Well, how bad is it living near the favelas in Brazil, say in Rio De Janeiro?
Just read it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...nce-helicopter
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
Brazil won the 2016 Olympic Games?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, how bad is it living near the favelas in Brazil, say in Rio De Janeiro?."
That's a bit of a condescending question, akin to asking somebody what life is like in Compton because they live in the United States.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 AM

Burt, are you POI?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
Burt, are you POI?
I don't even know what that is.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
That's a bit of a condescending question, akin to asking somebody what life is like in Compton because they live in the United States.
It was not my intent to offend, but the circumstances in Rio de Janeiro being what they are (high income disparity, large slum districts with heavy entrenchment of the drug trade, honest work being few and far between) I would think it would be plenty of motivation for some "concerned citizens" to start carrying concealed firearms, or to launch a campaign to legalize such a measure if it isn't already legal. I still remember reading articles about how campaigns to legalize concealed carry on US University campuses arose in the wake of some college shootings, but the high-crime trend in Brazil has been going on for much longer than a a few isolated spree shootings.

Tags
game guns south america