imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I've got a Mk.VI that's still in .455 and it's a joy to shoot.
But your casting and pouring your own still, right? I heard that the commercial .455 thats available on the market is still to hot for the Webley.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Ok Her is my current list of weapons owned:

Mossberg 500A (the 8 shot model)
Ruger 10/22
Marlin in .44 mag
Remington M700P

My wants:
Ruger MkIII
Ruger Super Redhawk in .44
SIG-Sauer P220R
Barret M82A3

Class 3:
H&K G3KA4
M203 mounted on said G3
Slowfire MiniUzi

Yeah a simple list of wants
Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 PM

There's some debate over that - the Mk.I through Mk.IV were built for the old black powder load, but many were retrofitted with Mk.V style cylinders, and even the ones that weren't were used with smokeless ammo in service without any problems. Now, the Fiocci stuff IS fairly hot, but a Mk.V or a Mk.VI will handle it no problem - I've put lots through mine. It's ridiculous to think they'd make Webley ammo that couldn't be fired through a Webley.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Rockwolf66 buy a Ruger Super Redhawk, they are very fun to shoot. Load but fun. Fit a Nikon scope on it and you've got an accurate handgun with enough power to crack an engine block in one shot.

The one I own is a 9.5" barrel model, so it is unwieldly. Suggest finding something a little shorter unless you plan to hunt with it.

What is this Marlin .44 Magnum you speak of? A nice gun my dad has is a Ruger Deerstalker in .44 Magnum. It loads and shoots like a shotgun and it's nice to shoot.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
What is this Marlin .44 Magnum you speak of? A nice gun my dad has is a Ruger Deerstalker in .44 Magnum. It loads and shoots like a shotgun and it's nice to shoot.
Mine is a 1894s with a low powered Weaver scope on it. It's a nice little Brush gun. Unfortunantly where I go backpacking durring the summer they frown upon people carrying Rifles around for protection that and you have to make every single ounce of weight count. In the past two years we have had two bear encounters. The first one was when I looked to my left down a hill and Smokey was makeing tracks. I looked at the bears dissapearing rump and then down to the cheap Phoenix arms .22 on my hip. At that time I was wishing for a friends issue M-203. Last year my Grandfather's Glock paid for it'self when we had a probable garbage bear try to enter camp and go after the food supplies.

It's stuff like that wich makes you want a rifle and as they are not kosher with the Forest Rangers I am going with the next best thing. A Scoped .44 Magnum revolver, I chose the .44 as I already reload that caliber and a .454 would just be increasing the weight I have to carry.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 AM
IMFDB Admin

I've heard of a bear defense tactic, don't know if you could use it but it seems effective.

Load a blank the the chamber, load in half buckshot, half slug. If you see a bear fire the blank. If he charges from a distance, fire the buckshot at him. If he's still coming, unleash the slugs. If you carry an 18" pump action with a pistol grip and an extended mag tube, it'd work. Buy a sling and bears are a little less terrifying.

Just hope you never run into a 12' Grizzly like the one in Alaska that ate two people and took a ton of bullets to stop. The gun unloaded his 7mm Magnum TWICE! The things head was the size of his torso. Now it is stuffed in an Alaskan airport as a warning to visiting people.

If you want something reletively small and somewhat light, buy a Smith & Wesson 500 4" or 2". Kicks like a mule but a respected bear stopper.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 AM

Gunmaster,
My old man used to work up in Alaska on the fishing boats he's told me of that one. I have an eight shot Mossgerg 12 gauge and that's too big for backpacking.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

You need something like a Cruiser, it's incredible how small it is compared to those massive 8+1 shot Mossbergs. Maybe if it doesn't have an extended tube, then 5+1 is more than enough still.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 PM

Oh I have a question.
Would someone kindly explain to me how the 590 series holds 8+1 while it has a 20 inch barrel and a flush magazine tube? Even with 2 3/4 inch shells, that's 22 inches, not counting the follower or the spring. Any explanation or a diagram of how this works?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Hey, just signed up here. I use IMFDB quite often but just realized there was a forum. Anyways, here's my humble collection